Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport security is a joke

Options
  • 01-01-2010 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

You know that you have to go through metal detectors and things like that in airport security, they will not let you bring a normal sized tube of tooth paste or a liter of mineral water through airport security. Now does anyone honestly believe this is to protect us from terror attacks?

You can by booze in the tax free after airport security, you can use this to make your own molotov cocktail if you really want to cause havoc on a flight. Airport security around the world is a joke and it is obviously not for protecting the passengers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Copied from another thread

I went travelling over the Christmas period, to see some colleagues in another part of the country.

Of course, airport security has been an important issue in the last week or so, and here's me about to pass through the security checkpoint/X-ray machine/Metal Detector. Because I had so much metal on/about my person, it took me a couple of minutes to strip down to my shirt and pass everything through the X-Ray machine.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/52871/100343.JPG

I passed throught the metal detector without incident, even my belt buckle failed to set it off, which is a nice change for me.

However, they did have some issue with the gear I sent through the X-ray machine, and requested that my Gerber knife/utility tool be placed in my checked baggage. I dutifully complied.

They also had issue with 15 rounds of 9mm ammunition I had upon my person. That had to go in checked baggage as well.

So, here's me aboard the aircraft with that which they decided it was legal and safe for me to bring into the passenger cabin. (Fortunately, I snagged an exit row. At my height, that's important)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/52871/100344.jpg

Not visible, but upon my person, are the 290 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition for the rifle, my sidearm (still on my leg) and the remaining 45 rounds of 9mm ammunition, and the seat-belt-cutter (which has a very sharp blade) strapped to my chest.

Anyone who thinks I'm not being completely honest has obviously never dealt with the military bureaucracy. I swear to God, they had a policy of no knives, and no more than 45 rounds for the sidearm. I could have had up to 800 for the rifle, had I been able to carry that much. Or 2000 rounds if I were carrying a machinegun. Putting the rifle through the X-ray machine was probably the most bizarre thing I've ever done in my life, and I like to think I've done some pretty odd things. (Commuting to work every morning in rush-hour traffic in a 70-ton main battle tank being one of them)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is Politics, not AH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement