Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5-a-side network

• 01-01-2010 5:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭

I had an idea.

When i was in perth i was playing indoor soccer with a few friends over there. then i moved to melbourne and wanna get back into it, but dont know anyone, or anywhere that does it.

so, what i was thinkin is that we set up a 5 a side team in each of perth, melbourne, sydney and brisbane. as people travel around, they can simply slot into any of these teams if they're in that city.

first, what we'll need is 5 or 6 people in perth, melbourne, sydney and brisbane.
    if we can get this going, i know of 2 places in perth that do indoor. theres a place in subiaco and another about 15 mins walk from northbridge.
    anyone know of any in melbourne? or anyone in melbourne fancy playin some 5 a side?
    i also know someone in brisbane who does indoor. i'll have to ask him where he plays. (hes actually a member of boards but hasnt been on in about a year!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'd be up for a bit of that action. I'm back in Melbourne on Sunday, will have a bit of a look around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I'm moving to Melbourne next week and would love to join, great way to meet people as I'm going alone.

Are girls allowed?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

havent a clue if they let the wimmins play. and it also doesnt matter if ur crap at football either. point is gettin the teams together!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    havent a clue if they let the wimmins play.

They can make the tea. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Id be up for this too in Melbourne

nice one, so we have 4 ppl already for the melbourne team!!!

Lookin on a few websites, i found this:
    http://www.super5s.org/venues.php

theres a good few venues there, including one on st kilda road, if anyone is around st kilda? theres also others in most suburbs so we should be able to find somewhere. theres mens leagues and mixed leagues as well.
    all leagues seem to start in the first week of Feb so we've a month to get this sorted (assuming the leagues arent full by then).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im in St Kilda and would be well up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

If there's a match in Melbourne in the next week I'll defo be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

Arriving in Melbourne next week, just name the place and time!!

nah, unless anyone wants to organise a kick about in albert park in the next few days?

other than that, the leagues start in about 3-4 weeks. we need to sort everything soon, ie venue, players, and jerseys.

so far the team is:
    The_B_Man
    m@cc@
    maire2009*
    tigerandahalf
    CiaranC

We still need a sub or two.

*Also, I should point out that if we go with the mixed team, we'll need a minimum of 2 girls on the pitch at any time, so start askin around if ya can!

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

nah, unless anyone wants to organise a kick about in albert park in the next few days?

other than that, the leagues start in about 3-4 weeks. we need to sort everything soon, ie venue, players, and jerseys.

so far the team is:
    The_B_Man
    m@cc@
    maire2009*
    tigerandahalf
    CiaranC

We still need a sub or two.

*Also, I should point out that if we go with the mixed team, we'll need a minimum of 2 girls on the pitch at any time, so start askin around if ya can!

cheers.

Put me down for a sub or impact player!

I'm actually living in Preston (Northern suburbs) but given the transport in Melbourne, I'm not to worried about where it's based.

well we havent decided where its based yet. that one in st kilda is a mixed side.
    the mens leagues are at other locations. i'll send them off an email tomorrow askin where is available.

where is everyone located? im in st kilda.

Go with the all men's team if it'll make it easier.

If I don't get work in melbourne I'll be off again in a few weeks so I don't want to ruin it i.e. I leave and ye need to get another girl in - you'll always find fellas to play.

I could come down to practice to show ye how its done though :P

haha fair enough!

how about:

TEAM:
    The_B_Man
    m@cc@
    tonydatiger
    tigerandahalf
    CiaranC

COACHING STAFF:
    maire2009 - chief of motivation!

has a nice ring to it, dont ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We have a regular team down in the southern suburbs (Mornington) if anyone is that area. We play every Tuesday.

OK,
    I've sent them off an email. Hopefully we'll get the St Kilda Rd venue. Is that OK for everyone? I think the league us starting first week in feb.

Also, we need a team name. Any ideas?
    Celtic Tigers?
    Fuzzy Logic?
    Panathinaik-OZ?

throw a few out there...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'm keen to be involved in the Melbourne team. I will arrive at the end of January. Keep me in the loop with PMs if I don't respond here (may be travelling).

ye thats no problem. the league starts on jan 30th anyway so you can just slot into the team. tho i wanna get this sorted early coz we'll need to get jerseys. they're cheap enough, bout 15dollars each.

just waiting on the place to get back to me (hopefully today) to confirm we have a slot.

Fantastic - I'll be mascot, motivation and tea lady all in one. :D

funnily enough, i know a girl that used to play soccer, but she said she hasnt played in ages so im not sure if she'd be up for joining the team!

hey so if ur gonna be the mascot, do u have a giant tiger outfit, or anything mascott-y?

OK,
    I've sent them off an email. Hopefully we'll get the St Kilda Rd venue. Is that OK for everyone? I think the league us starting first week in feb.

Also, we need a team name. Any ideas?
    Celtic Tigers?
    Fuzzy Logic?
    Panathinaik-OZ?

throw a few out there...

Fine for me. What about something like OZ Milan (as in Aussie Milan) in keeping with the Italian heritage of Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

Moving to Brissie next month and would definately be interested in a bit of 5-a-side if anyone else is on for it in Brissie, only worry is that I'll die in the heat running around like an eejit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I know of a couple of guys that are dying to join a team or just have a friendly kick about in perth!

Trankton wrote: »
    Moving to Brissie next month and would definately be interested in a bit of 5-a-side if anyone else is on for it in Brissie, only worry is that I'll die in the heat running around like an eejit!

I'm still waitin on me mate to get back to me from brissy. He said he played futsal and another indoor up there. i'll try get more details of the brissy one.
    kazza90210 wrote: »
    I know of a couple of guys that are dying to join a team or just have a friendly kick about in perth!

theres 2 i know of in perth.
    google loftus road indoor soccer. thats the one i used to play. theres also another one in subiaco. if u have 5 people u can start a team. if theres only one or 2 of ya, i can talk to a mate over there to see if hes short any players.

regards the melbourne team, they still havent got back to me confirming our entry. theres a number on the site so i might just ring them now and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,883 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kazza90210 wrote: »

I'd probably be up for a game in Perth, though my preseason for outdoor football is about to start so that'll take up three days of the week. I normally play indoor twice a week as well anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Anyone interested doing 5 aside in Sydney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

just got a text off some guy telling me that the hurling pre season was starting back tonight!! langley park in perth city at half 6, shud be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mr__bob

Anyone interested doing 5 aside in Sydney?

I am! Anybody else??

Right lads, the indoor crowd got back to me. We're in!

The league starts jan30th. the first few games are grading games and only to see how good we are so as to fit us into whatever league, then the league starts proper a few games after that.

Anyone fancy a meet up so we can organise whos definately playing? we also need to get sizes for the jerseys!
    I'll PM the people listed above but anyone who wants to join the melbourne team, feel free to as, as im sure we'll always need more than the 5 in case someone is sick.

also, BossArky, you cant receive PMs for some reason. Can you let me know on here if ur still up for a game?

===========================================

Theres also a place in brisbane that does indoor, but the league doesnt start til march 8th!

http://www.brisbaneindoorsports.com.au/

heres another couple of links:
    http://www.supersports.com.au/
    http://www.boondallindoorsoccer.com/
    http://www.uqsport.com.au/

I'm not sure them last 3 will be of any use, but im sure there has to be other ones out there.

Heres a site in sydney which may have links to places:
    http://www.aussieweb.com.au/directory/indoor+sports+centres/nsw/sydney/

In Perth:
    http://www.loftusrecreationcentre.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=36
    and
    http://www.lords.com.au/sport.htm?SportID=4&action=introduction
    and
    http://www.courtside.com.au/senior_soccer_general_info.asp