Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The how did you get home new years eve thread?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

I went into town (Dublin) tonight. Then it snowed like mad and when I tried to go home there were no taxis on dame street. "No problem" says I. "I'll queue up on stephens green". No taxis on stephens green - but fortunately for me the luas was still running (3.30? didn't know it ran that late) So I get the luas and walk the rest of the way. Slush and ice everywhere - took me double the time to get home. But I am home. My friends however, are stuck in town and no sign of them getting home. Taxis have given up. The snow all looks beautiful but very dangerous and I reckon majority of taxis have just headed home as conditions are really dangerous. I feel I'm one of the lucky ones to have made it home tonight........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

''No Problem'' Says you,nice

Me-well i'm sat on me arse here in Canada and it's snowing like a nuns clackker outside and i'm considering staying in for the night,but they can handle the aul snow here in canada and the place keeps going,not like at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Friends Father!! In an Audi!! SORTED !!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The roads are really bad alright, glad to see you got home safe dolliemix.

It snowed though. :D

/luv that about today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

i wish i was out tonight,you sound like you had a good night?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

I was in work. Driving home was really bad and there were loads of drunken people stepping out onto the icy roads thumbing for lifts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Decided to be clever and leave town (Dublin) at 1.30am to get a cab but ended up having to walk to the KCR which took over an hour before one stopped. Home and cold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I drove.
    Hard to avoid drunken idiots on naas road, people who don't know how to drive in snow etc. M50 was 'interesting'. As there was no visible road markings people were driving as if it was one large lane. scary to think of it that way and stopping at lights at even 10km/h was a bitch if sudden enough.
    I prayed a bit that noone would be too hurt tonight. 4 ambulances passed at different times of the journey.
    Nothing says cop on to a 19 yo male like seeing a car wrapped around a pole, someone crying and e.s all over the place. A tragic end to someones night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Had a session in my house and laughed as everyone wondered how they would get home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

ciano1 wrote: »
    Friends Father!! In an Audi!! SORTED !!!! :D:D:D

Well pick my friend up. Just on to her - she's still trying to get home....:D

I was out in Cork tonight, I don't drink so was driving home, two nutters hopped in the car :eek: thinking I was a taxi, they were living about 3 minutes from my place so I dropped them home, I declined the invite to join them for a cup of tea, that's my good dead done for the year. If ye read this I mean nutters in the nicest possible way :) Cold down here but no snow or icey roads thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I rang my daddy!!!! theres nbo way he coulkdnt tell
    i was drunkj!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Class night I had to say but worst trip home! Rang 5 taxi companies knowing it wouldnt get me anywhere :(..

Walked for about an hour and a half in the home direction with my hand out the whole way..no joy until im about half an hour from my house I finally get a taxi I was glad of it but im still freezing sitting in bed here good luck to everyone tonight I hope ya's had a good one and get home safe it's dangerous out there at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

It was like night of the snow zombies. Everytime I looked out of the luas there were drunk people slipping on the ice

Drunk people will tend to slip anyway.:p

Don't go blaming the ice, or in my area the snow.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Got a lift home in my bosses 4x4! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

dam it sure is cold out there,hope everybody is warm now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Was there a shortage of taxi's tonight, can't say I noticed!.

Just in the door, nice and warm too :D

Happy New Year everyone.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

jd007 wrote: »
    I rang my daddy!!!! theres nbo way he coulkdnt tell
    i was drunkj!!!

Quoted for hillarity

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Taxi company said it'd be an hour for cab so walked onto road and got one in about ten, while I wouldnt want to be driving in that snow it made the night for us.
    Great craic on the way back from pub with snowballs, snow's great if you dont have to work in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Quoted for hillarity

It is hilarious though...

I'm in kilkee, no snow but it is freezin' and we've no oil so I'm on fire (back-boiler) watch! Happy new year boardies! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dolliemix wrote: »
    I went into town (Dublin) tonight. Then it snowed like mad and when I tried to go home there were no taxis on dame street. "No problem" says I. "I'll queue up on stephens green". No taxis on stephens green - but fortunately for me the luas was still running (3.30? didn't know it ran that late) So I get the luas and walk the rest of the way. Slush and ice everywhere - took me double the time to get home. But I am home. My friends however, are stuck in town and no sign of them getting home. Taxis have given up. The snow all looks beautiful but very dangerous and I reckon majority of taxis have just headed home as conditions are really dangerous. I feel I'm one of the lucky ones to have made it home tonight........

This is why I stayed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A taxi like 10 mins ago and i slipped right in frony of it :P I'm a bit drunk adswell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Queuing for a taxi on Stephens green right now would be hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Got home in my own car, verrrrryyy slowly. An hour and the rest from Killester to Swords and back to Malahide, here.

Got stuck for 5 mins on the artane roundabout, car just wouldnt move, took full hammer down and 2 mates as well as a random stranger pushing the car to get going again, all in the middle of a fairly major junction.

My mate creamed himself on the ice though so it was worth it :P

sdonn wrote: »
    My mate creamed himself on the ice though so it was worth it :P[/QUOTE

WOW, your friend REALLY likes ice, I'd stay away from him for the next few days... It could get awkward?!
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Taxi from Glasnevin to Kilmainham. Car got stuck on a hill coming onto James St. ****ing asshole behind uss procceded to get right into the back of us and started beeping for 5 minutes while we skid on the ice. He then overtook us shaking his head while doing so.

I don't understand some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    My mate creamed himself on the ice though so it was worth it :P

WOW, your friend REALLY likes ice, I'd stay away from him for the next few days... It could get awkward?!

FYP, quoting while drunk isn't recommended :rolleyes:

Jim wrote: »
    Taxi from Glasnevin to Kilmainham. Car got stuck on a hill coming onto James St. ****ing asshole behind uss procceded to get right into the back of us and started beeping for 5 minutes while we skid on the ice. He then overtook us shaking his head while doing so.

I don't understand some people.

That was a bit crass tbh.
    What would it have cost him to get out and help?

Look, forget him and Have a Happy New Year.:)

FYP, quoting while drunk isn't recommended :rolleyes:

Isn't this one of those threads that the mods create specifically for drunken posts?!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

WOO! drunken posting ! :D

Advertisement