Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The how did you get home new years eve thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Got the luas home. Would have been quicker walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

i was in a pub bout 20mins away from my house, i waited to see if id get a taxi, then end up walkin for bout 10mins and my friends das friend collected us he's a taxi driver and i went to a party and walked home from the party then, i was freezin, no jacket or nothin haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tigerlilyblue

Town was lethal! Half the people in Dublin find it difficult to stand up after a night out anyway minus the ice so with the ice it was madness. I have to say though the girls did a good job in their heels. Saw one guy slip and fall when crossing the road and his head was bleeding.
    Got a lift from a friends brother in the end- much appreciated and on the way on two separate occasions people thought it would be funny to push their friends onto the road and in front of the car congrats to anyone who drove through town without killing anybody! I couldn't have done it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Was in a nightclub in Dunboyne, Meath... Was a good bitta craic but trying to get home was tough going.
    We walked towards main road and there was zilch going. So we went back to my friends grandparents house in the snow. We sat in their kitchen, eating toast and pears while trying to ring a taxi company to bring us back to Blanchardstown. Most were unavailable, ringing out, had no taxis available and roads were blocked.
    Then my friend said "We shall go to the road" in a very determined voice. Amazingly a taxi arrived :eek: Even he said he was just about to turn off his light and go home. Took us €30 and we got home at 5am.... 2 hours ringing about taxi companies for nothing, sobered us up though, no hangovers ;) And my friend made it to work at 9 this morning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

couldnt get a taxi. gave up and got a hotel room for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Had a house party so, I was already home. Carpets are a mess though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I didn't go home and got a lift to work .. sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

sar84 wrote: »
    couldnt get a taxi. gave up and got a hotel room for the night.

no recession for you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no recession for you !!!

Hotels are cheaper than taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wasn't planning to drink so had the car. Went home about 20km/h from D14 to D16. Was in town today, saw a lot of girls obviously walking home after getting stuck last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hung about in McDonalds on O'Connell Stret till about 6 then a fight brike out. Hopped onto an Aircoach to the airport and got myself a taxi home from there.

Town was fcuking leathal, like a bloody ice rink.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

was in dublin, finished the night at a mates...walked out from blessinton st usually handy to get a taxi there... no joy... down to o'connell st... cue...

walked around to the four courts managed to grab 1 there before having to walk home...

roads were all in bits so the taxi had to go slow thus pushing the fair up an extra 10'r

fair juice to the driver going out to Carpenterstown at 7am...

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I walked back to Tallaght from Malahide.

I win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

craggles wrote: »

I win.

er no... i recon that kinda sucks man...

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Duff wrote: »
    Planned on going back to my mates house after the club. I was outside talking to this girl I was with inside when my ex spies me from across the road and decides to board the crazy train and come over to me and go ape. Needless to say I swiftly left the two of them and rang me auld one to pick me up. :pac:

Ouch...harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Boyfriend had the car, sweet! :) Otherwise, I really don't know. Was only very few taxis about, and even we skidded and were going literally 10 MPH. . . .

It is true however - Irish people [in general] do NOT know how to drive in ice/snow etc and some fools even think you can still go normal speed!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I walked home in the cold for 10 miles..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

craggles wrote: »

I win.

Are you for real? I once walked from Rathmines to Donabate during college, literally not a penny, and didnt have the courage to appear at my ould dears doors at 5am looking for taxi money. Kudos to you sir for doing that in the ice and snow.

Me, I walked home a paltry 5 or 6 miles in the ice. No big deal. Wasnt like I was that buckled anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

A taxi driver said he'd bring my brother from Dorset street to finglas for a hundred euro. I wish he took his number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

We walked from kilinarden to the square, then i found a tenner in the snow so we got a taxi :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Are you for real? I once walked from Rathmines to Donabate during college, literally not a penny, and didnt have the courage to appear at my ould dears doors at 5am looking for taxi money. Kudos to you sir for doing that in the ice and snow.

Me, I walked home a paltry 5 or 6 miles in the ice. No big deal. Wasnt like I was that buckled anyhow.

Yeah it was fairly harsh, took six hours, had a nice hot shower when I got in then slept for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I didn't get home until around 8pm on New Years Day lol, still took an hour to walk from Killester through to where i live in town...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 D-K

Couldn't get a taxi home so I stayed at a friends house with a few others. Ended up in bed with a girl I have been mad after for a while! Thank you icy roads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

We ordered a taxi bus to and from town. Took me 2 hours to get home and I only live 15 minutes away.. Mainly because the taxi man took the most arseways journey home to avoid the icy roads. Still, it only cost €5 and I was still locked by the time I got home..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I didn't actually get home until 3 days after New Years, I had the pleasure of staying in hospital with an arm snapped in two. The ice decided it wanted a little company on the ground New Years morning..

God I hate ice.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Jaysus! I think you win the thread alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm trying to think. But I can't remember. Hmm. Did I even go home? Hang on.. Oh yeah got a taxi home with friends that I went to school with. Turned out the taxi driver they called was my next door neighbour and he didn't make me pay. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

RoverJames wrote: »
    I was out in Cork tonight, I don't drink so was driving home, two nutters hopped in the car :eek: thinking I was a taxi, they were living about 3 minutes from my place so I dropped them home, I declined the invite to join them for a cup of tea, that's my good dead done for the year. If ye read this I mean nutters in the nicest possible way :) Cold down here but no snow or icey roads thankfully.

Aw it's nice to know there are people like you in the world :)

I spent two hours wandering around Dublin looking for a taxi, until finally I was so cold and miserable I texted my boyfriend and he let me stay in his flat in town. Didn't wake up until about half 4 the following afternoon, I thought it was 8am cos of the pale light and red streaks in the sky. Turns out it was twilight, not dawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Took the S-Bahn from the Marianplatz to the Haupbanhof !

(I was in Munich for New Years Eve:)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Took me about eight minutes to walk home at six in the morning. Party I was at wasn't far from where I live. Nice one.

Tried to go out for a few New Years Day but after a number of pints was a wee bit too merry (topping up) and had to go home to bed!

Advertisement