Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours alarm going off for 4 days

Options
  • 01-01-2010 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in a block of 12 apts, 4 per floor. Over the past week we have had a series of power cuts, as a result all the alarms went off.

It has been at least 4 days since our neighbour's alarm started going off. Unfortunately I don't know them personally to call/ text to say the alarm is ringing.

The noise is driving me insane. I can't sleep as I can hear it constantly. Is there anything I can do other than wait for them to come home from their holiday?

Should the alarm no stop ringing after a number of hours?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It should stop after 20 mins legally but that's not much use to you at this stage. Have you contacted your management agent to see if they have a contact number for the owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks for replying.

Yeah I have been in touch with the management company who are trying to contact the owners/tenants.

I honestly thought that alarms should stop ringing at some stage. Even now with telly on I can still hear it in the backround :( Hopefully the owners/tenants will be back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Hope this works out for you. Had that situation last year and rang the management company who came in and turned it off.

We all got a letter the following week to make sure our alarm was set to cut off after 20 minutes, I didnt know it was the law tho.

May you have a quiet, peaceful new years.

GG

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

€1 foam ear plugs from any pharmacy are your friend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think you may have moved into my apartment complex! We've had this issue multiple times when the power is cut. The problem is all the alarms were installed by the same contractors so they all default to ringing loudly after a power cut. I heard some of the alarms today when returning to my apartment and knew there had been a power cut...

The new management company here (again assuming you're in the same complex) can only do so much so it may be a case of waiting for the owners. One thing I found, that helped when it last happened, was to put something like a fan on - the white noise helped drown out the alarm.

• Advertisement

Google is also your friend, try googling the address, you might find a contact number. One of our neighbours alarm was going off for ages and the management agent didn't have a valid contact number for them but a google search found an old ad for when it was for rent and there was a contact number on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Can't the gardai get involved if it's been going off for four days? The owner of the apartment is breaking the law by not having a newer standard alarm fitted that should cut off after X minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not until the new noise pollution legislation is brought in. The proposal is that the garda will be able to turn off the alarm (and hopefully send the bill to the owner of the alarm).

If installed after a certain date (2001?) an alarm has to cut itself off after 20 minutes.

New year is the worst time for it, as nobody is at work, and people are still away on holidays.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Alarm still going off. Management co don't have up to date contact details. Have tried google, daft, myhome etc and unit is not for sale or rent :(
    Apartments were built 2004/2005 so should have auto shut-off but it sadly doesnt appear to.
    Ear plugs aren't an option - seperate medical issue.

Ah well hopefully the owners will come back soon or I may have to go back to my folks for a decent nights sleep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It might be worth trying directory enquiries for your neighbours contact details to let them know whats happening, if you have their name and address. Its incredible that someone's alarm can go off for so long with no consequences to them

• Advertisement

EF wrote: »
    It might be worth trying directory enquiries for your neighbours contact details to let them know whats happening, if you have their name and address. Its incredible that someone's alarm can go off for so long with no consequences to them
    I was reading the management company rules today and it clearly states that alarms must shut-off after 20 minutes.

I am going to contact the managment company tomorrow when they are open again after Christmas ... up until know I have been dealing with the out of hours service.

Do you think it is possible for the management company to make them change/ fix their alarm so it cuts off automatically?

I am starting to the think the unit may be empty as surely if it was occupied there would have been someone in it since the 26th???

Thanks again for everyones help and input.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Do you think it is possible for the management company to make them change/ fix their alarm so it cuts off automatically?

The management agent have no legal power to enforce this. They can only ask.

If the alarm system is a self install, then that may explain why it doesn't stop after 20 mins. Cheap alarm systems like that can be bought. They would never be installed by a proper alarm company.

Sounds like you have a real nightmare to deal with. Hopefully you will get it sorted.

Paulw wrote: »
    The management agent have no legal power to enforce this. They can only ask.

Not true, if it's written into the lease and not just the development rules, the owner is in breach of their lease on the unit by having a non compliant alarm. Legal action can be taken by the management company, starting with a solicitors letter...

The OP can also seek to get a noise abatement order against the property. This sticks with the property and not the owner and will make the unit harder to sell. Contact your local council for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's this sort of carry on that causes people to ignore alarms.
    This place could be easily burgled tonight

We have the same 20 minute rule in our estate though we've not had this issue yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not true, if it's written into the lease and not just the development rules, the owner is in breach of their lease on the unit by having a non compliant alarm. Legal action can be taken by the management company, starting with a solicitors letter....

It's much more likely to be in the rules, than in the Lease Contract (from experience). If it's in the rules, there is no legal way it can be enforced.

Of course, the management agent can send a solicitor's letter, on instructions from the management company, and see if that has any success.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

We had the same prob a couple of years ago. I eventually got the management company to open the empty appartments post box. I did not open any letters, one however had the name of the company who sent the letter on the envelope. I rang the company, and asked them to contact the owners if possible, as I did not expect them to tell me contact details. They did, problem solved. All a bit complicated, but well worth it after we had listened to the alarm for a week!

Paulw wrote: »
    It's much more likely to be in the rules, than in the Lease Contract (from experience). If it's in the rules, there is no legal way it can be enforced.

Of course, the management agent can send a solicitor's letter, on instructions from the management company, and see if that has any success.

It's in our lease and rules...always worth checking out! Plus there's a clause in the lease about rules being enforced where they are in the interest of the development.

Hi all,
    Quick update, alarm is still going off.
    Management company only have email address for owner and have apparently eamiled him. Basically there is nothing else they can do.

Phoned the local Garda station today and there is nothing they can do.

I am at breaking point, I can't sleep with the noise!! asked the management co if they can do anything to prevent it happening again and they basically said no! Although auto shut off is in the development rules they can't do anything to enforce rules :(

By any chance does anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Hi all,
    Quick update, alarm is still going off.
    Management company only have email address for owner and have apparently eamiled him. Basically there is nothing else they can do.

Phoned the local Garda station today and there is nothing they can do.

I am at breaking point, I can't sleep with the noise!! asked the management co if they can do anything to prevent it happening again and they basically said no! Although auto shut off is in the development rules they can't do anything to enforce rules :(

By any chance does anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

So the alarm has now being going off for 10 days??? Thats insane and is not fair on you OP or anyone else in the block.
    At least if someone breaks in to turn it off in the middle of the night then no one will know because its already going off ;)
    Thats what I'd be doing OP, 10 days of putting up with an alarm is madness :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are entitled to enjoy your apartment. You reported the matter to the Management Company. It then became their problem. If I were in your position I would suggest to the Management Company that they pay for alternate accommodation for you until such time as they sort out the alarm. Do not take no for an answer. I would also bring up the matter of compensation with them- as you did report it several days ago- and they have not rectified it. Most leases have a clause entitling a Management Company representative to enter any unit to implement emergency repairs (so frozen pipes etc don't flood adjacent/adjoining/lower units etc for example- which is very pertinent at the moment). Have a look at your own lease- it most probably has a similar clause.

So what if the door has to be broken down- I've organised on behalf of our management company to break down 4 or 5 doors in the past few years- and on one occasion found an unconscious resident inside who needed urgent medical attention.

Check your lease. Use any of the clauses in it to your advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I'm surprised that the managing agent only has an email address for an owner, how do they contact the owner with regards to management fees etc.?? Also if you have parking permits the likes of NCPS/Apcoa may have more info on the owner (I know we have to fill in a contact tel. number when getting our permits).

Good luck with getting this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sounds like it very badly run and by now, I'd have lost the plot!! No way is it fair. Can't believe the police or the management company won't help you out.

SMcCarrick & OP - can you edit your posts to refer to the Management Agent rather than Company, which is what I think you mean? These terms get mixed up all the time but they mean two totally different things.

athtrasna wrote: »
    SMcCarrick & OP - can you edit your posts to refer to the Management Agent rather than Company, which is what I think you mean? These terms get mixed up all the time but they mean two totally different things.

They certainly are two different things. However I used the term Management Company delibertly- as a leaseholder- the terms of the OP's lease are legally enforceable by the Management Company and the Lease holder- an agent will normally only act on a Management Company's instructions.

The level of involvement of a Management Agent and the manner in which they discharge those duties assigned to them- is entirely a matter between they and the Management Company who are employing them, and on whose authority they act.

But the OP has been dealing with the Agent? As a member of the MC they should be able to get co-operation from the Agent? Or do I live in one of those rare developments where things work as they should, most of the time!

Our owner directors also have an email account that we advertise on almost monthly newsletters and we are also very active but in co-operation with the agent. Again I can only use our development as an example but I know the alarm thing is in our lease, as is a not interfering with other residents clause as is a clause about making sure the owners contact details are kept current. I find it strange that there's nothing in the OP's lease about any of these things?

Hi all,
    Sorry it seems I have been very clear with terms here. The people I have been contacting are a privately run well know company. I do not have contact details for any of the directors of the management commitee that live here ( not sure what this should be called).

I am going to call the private company again tomorrow and see if anything can be done.

I am only renting so have not seen the full details of the agreement between the owner and this private company.

Up until know I haven't contacted my landlord, do you think there is anything she could do? Would the private company listen to her more?

We dont have parking permits so NCPS couldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially you or the MC get a solicitor to take a nuisance complaint to to court and get and injunction against the noise that can be enforced. It may cost money, but it should get peace and quiet. Difficult, but possible.

Hi all,
    Sorry it seems I have been very clear with terms here. The people I have been contacting are a privately run well know company. I do not have contact details for any of the directors of the management commitee that live here ( not sure what this should be called).

I am going to call the private company again tomorrow and see if anything can be done.

I am only renting so have not seen the full details of the agreement between the owner and this private company.

Up until know I haven't contacted my landlord, do you think there is anything she could do? Would the private company listen to her more?

We dont have parking permits so NCPS couldn't help.

OK - this post has provided a lot of info that is very important.

On the terminology thing, you are referring to the management agent. A company who manages the day to day running of the development on behalf of the management company (the legal entity comprising all owners). This company hires the agent, there is no individual agreement between owners and the agent.

When I asked about your lease, it was assuming you were an owner as you never previously mentioned a landlord. "Owners" don't own apartments for the most part, you have a 1000 year lease or something like that. Thus instead of sale deeds, you get a lease. This lease has the info you get in most deeds and clauses like I have referred to, I wasn't referring to a rental lease like you have.

As a tenant, the Management Agent (the private company to whom you refer) does not have any obligations to you, they are to your landlord. Call number one should have been to your landlord. They then should pursue the issue with the agent.

What now? I would call the landlord, give details of what has happened. State that you are renting from them and ultimately they are responsible for ensuring that the issue is resolved via the Management Agent or the Directors of the Company.

I would also call Threshold, you may be entitled to a reduction in your rent for the affected time, but this might be dependent on when your landlord gets involved, they shouldn't be liable for an issue they didn't know about.

Athrasna- I was assuming from the OP's post that they were an owner occuppier. The obvious and only advice any of us can or should give her, as she is renting, is- to contact her landlord. Her sole contract is with her landlord, and no-one else. Normally a tenant would not even have contact details for a Management Agent- all would be channelled via either the landlord or in increasing numbers of cases- letting agents.

If the OP has not already done so- they should contact their landlord.

I made a number of assumptions from the OP's original post (which everyone else did too) which were invalid.

OP- if you have not already done so- contact your landlord immediately. Ignore all previous references to the Management Company, Management Agents, Gardai etc- none of these are applicable to you. Your point of contact is your landlord- no-one else.

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It's happened on my street before.
    Eventually the nearest neighbours gave up and took a brick to the alarm box mounted above the door, smashed it in and it eventually stopped.
    Problem solved.

It's really rude to use an alarm but not provide anybody with contact info should it activate.

Advertisement