Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours alarm going off for 4 days

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi all,

Sorry my original post wasn't clear. I had no idea that it wasn't normal for the tenant to be in touch with the management agency. I have contacted them regarding a number of issues such as additional keys/fobs for carpark etc and had no issues.

So I was in touch with my landlord today. She contacted the management agent (MA). The MA said that the owner of the unit confirmed on Monday that he is aware that the alarm is going off. No mention of him turning it off.
    My landlord is going mental and feels its is totally unacceptable. She has emailed all the directors of the development. Hopefully between them all they can get it sorted!!

Just took me 5hrs to get home due to weather, all I want is a good nights sleep but sadly alarm will prevent that :(

Sorry again for any confusion I caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

When I was a tenant, I contacted the MA for a few issues, without any problems, the landlord gave me their number.

Hi all,

Final update, my neighbour finally came home today so the alarm has been turned off. I can't begin to tell you how much I am lucky forward to a good nights sleep.

Also just to make things more interesting it turns out that he/she is a director of the managmenet company!! Clearly not setting an example by following the development rules!!

I have written them a short but polite note asking them to have there alarm settings adjsuted. Hopefully they will do this and there will be no further incidents.

Thanks to everyone for their advice/opinion/support, it was very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's interesting because the Management Agent needs to have more than a postal address for a director of the Management Company...hmmm....something odd there!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is there any legal issue with tenants then contacting the management agent? It seems here that people believe everything should be done through the landlord. I've contacted my management agency on several occasions - one of them for exactly the same situation as the OP. Didn't see the point of adding an extra layer by going via the landlord. After all I'd have a more vested interest in following it up given I'm the one living there.
    Also just to make things more interesting it turns out that he/she is a director of the managmenet company!! Clearly not setting an example by following the development rules!!
    Just curious - how did you find this out?

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Just curious - how did you find this out?

I was talking to our next door neighbour about it and he mentioned it. My neighbour had been on the MC previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ixoy wrote: »
    Is there any legal issue with tenants then contacting the management agent? It seems here that people believe everything should be done through the landlord. I've contacted my management agency on several occasions - one of them for exactly the same situation as the OP. Didn't see the point of adding an extra layer by going via the landlord. After all I'd have a more vested interest in following it up given I'm the one living there.

There are no legal issues as far as I know but there are practical reasons. A tenant getting on for extra keys/fobs etc would be a big no no. Similarly a tenant wouldn't be entitled to info on the accounts or budget details of the development or contact info for any owners.

Some agents just won't deal with tenants...I suppose they are not obliged to, they are hired by the management company, of which the owners are all members.

Common sense should prevail and in cases of emergencies such as leaks, gas smells etc then the agent should deal with whoever brings the issue to their attention. However neighbour issues, nuisance, opinions on the development...should all go via the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

Surely this is a case where the management can turm off the power perhaps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Surely this is a case where the management can turm off the power perhaps?

Most alarm systems have robust battery back-up systems. I know mine is rated at 48 hours backup. Further- you have to consider other systems that may be reliant on electricity- such as the freezer and fridge for example- but also heating systems probably have thermostats/systems that are hardwired into into the electricity. I know niceties are not at the top of the list of anyone's priorities in situations like this- but the laws of unintended consequences have to be considered........

Advertisement