Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Goggles

• 01-01-2010 7:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I just got it for my htc tattoo. Had to do it manually though since they don't supply it for the tattoo due to the phone not coming with a self adjusting camera or something like that.

Brilliant stuff. Worked on books a few logos some images i got off google and even the episode of house i was watching.

It identified the big H picture at the start... what was surprising was when it got just to the angle of the whole hospital and it brought up teaching hospital. Even more impressive when i brought the camera closer and got one of the main building which brought up princeton plainsboro. Superbly even more impressive looking at this result http://images.google.com/images?q=princeton%20plainsboro that it even found it. Hands down well freakin done to google. Can you imagine how good this is going to become once it's developed and toned a bit in the next year or two.

Some things it didn't get: (although apparently my camera has a problem and there wasn't exactly flawless lighting)
    7up logo on a can
    Hulu sign blown up from google images
    Dell logo (pretty dark)
    Eldest (book) got it the second time though when i scanned just the title although to be fair it was pretty dark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's freakin' cool!

Khannie wrote: »
    That's freakin' cool!

I second that.

Android is really kicking out some apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Have this on my G1. Scanned a picture of "The Last Supper" and it brought back information on the painting & Da Vinci.
    Im pretty sure this is just another step in Googles world domination plans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

That class and what will Google come up with next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

emailable pizza i hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!!!!!!!!!

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

lmimmfn wrote: »
    GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking "Its not a tumour" myself.

That's insane. There's no way I'd ever have thought that'd be possible. How do they know what you're looking at though?

Do they just compare your photo to photos on Google and return the closest search results?

After you take the photo, does it take long to get a search result (that is, if I typed into Google the name of a landmark, would it take significantly longer for me to get info on it if i were to instead take a photo). I know it's obviously very helpful if you don't know the name of the landmark, as it can also help you figure out where you are if you ever got lost, but im just curious as to how it actually works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

From what i can see it does something that looks like a scan line that runs down your photo. It picks out significant marks such as writing and text or in a picture of a building i tried, it scanned all the pillars windows and so on. If it's just plain text it detects it just searches for it (i did some little text tests on notepad and scanned them. Some worked some didn't so perhaps it looks for more than just text). Otherwise at a guess it's indexing it's gigantic search database with more than just text and colour analysis on pictures (colour reference). It's analysing images. Nobody knows for sure i guess... another big news hitting point where they explained recently about their "don't be evil" and open source and about why they were keeping their search algorithm secret. It's on their blog all within this month.

Perhaps they'll have facial recognition in the near future. Imagine scanning someones face and getting an estimate on who the actor is in a movie. Unless your friend sitting across from you is some what famous i doubt there'll be any facial matches on them. From what i've read, facial matches don't work well with expression (eg smiling) so doubt it'd work in any way practical any time soon. Still ...can always hope.

Advertisement