Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Money-Saving Cooking

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That is actually, by far, the best mayo recipe I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

olaola wrote: »
    Hey - I tried these (I love the idea btw!!) and they were great, but a little bit biscuity. I think I might try self raising flour - what you think, have you tried this yourself?

I have these all the time and always make them with regular flour. However I know some people make them with self-raising. I usually make them to eat falafel so I don't mind if they're a touch biscuity, as you say, but if wanted them softer and fluffier then I don't see how some baking powder or the s-r flour would hurt! Let me know how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

This is a great thread. Going to make the sweet chilli sauce in a bit and have roti's planned for the tikka masala this evening. Thought I may as well thrown in an easy/cheap recipe for shortbread biscuits that I've been using a lot lately.

125g Caster Sugar
    225g butter
    350g plain flour

Mix the butter and sugar, once well mixed into a paste add the flour and mix by hand. Mix until you have a nice dough and stick it in the fridge for 15 minutes. Heat the oven to 180c.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out your biccies. I prefer to roll it into a tube and make about 1" thick rounds. Put them in the oven for 10-15 mintues (the rounds take about 18 mins for me as they're a bit thicker).

Place on cooling rack and if you want sprinkle some sugar over them.

You can add whatever you like to add flavour when you are mixing in the flour - vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, lemon zest, I've even heard of people using rosemary to flavour them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sleepy wrote: »
    The best way I've found to save money when cooking is to ignore the meat counters in supermarkets and go to a local butchers. The value deals most of them are offering are incredible. For instance, in Wicklow town right now €20 will get you 4 Pork Chops, 1lb Mince, 1lb Stewing Beef, 4 Large Chicken Breasts and 1lb of pre-prepared Stir-Fry mix. That's the guts of dinner for four for a week for €20!
    Very true. There's a place on Wexford St. in Dublin (that's the one that becomes George's St, yeah?) that does a great value mix too. I can't remember the name (I think it may be Someone & Daughters), but it's red, and it's on the same side of the road as Eddie Rocket's.

Also, if you're less squeamish about your food then offal is tasty, very good for you, and cheap; 2 lamb hearts (dinner for 2 people) will set you back about €1.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crazy.daisy

spaceylou wrote: »
    I love humous but I find it really really really hard to find tahini anywhere. I know it is essentially seasame seed paste so really I have two questions:

1. Any ideas where I can buy tahini or
    2. To make my own tahini what do i need besides seasame seeds and how do i do it?

thanks folks.

As for my own tips for inexpensive cooking. Soup - great way to use veg that might be about to turn, can contain anything you have to hand really and bulked up with lentils (which are also cheap) makes it filling and healthy.

Hi,

a friend bought me some tahini paste when she was in sainsburys in newry but its probably available in decent superquins. However, I make a gorgeous hummus without it

1 small can chickpeas
    handful of pinenuts & handful of flaked almonds
    1 clove garlic chopped
    sprinkle of chilli powder
    some basil (if I have it)
    sea salt to taste
    olive oil added sparingly while whizzing with a blender til you've got the right consistency

Its yum, and when I added the tahini to it, it didn't taste half as good!

My money saving trick is to make egg white based desserts such as pavlova when your main course calls for egg yolks (like in a sauce). Simple but effective...

• Advertisement
Advertisement