Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disruption to Dublin Bus services

• 01-01-2010 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I saw AAroadwatch twitter posted about it, I can't get any answer from the garage and of course nothing on the DB website :rolleyes: so does anyone have any information?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

angel01 wrote: »
    I saw AAroadwatch twitter posted about it, I can't get any answer from the garage and of course nothing on the DB website :rolleyes: so does anyone have any information?

On the radio,
    Radio wrote: »
    No buses today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Yeah strange nothing on their website.

All city depots closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

angel01 wrote: »

RTÉ1 9am news reports that all Dublin Bus services cancelled until further notice, also a lot of Taxi companies not taking any bookings this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I remember terrible snow and ice years ago, yet the buses kept running, even if they were delayed by up to hours in some cases. It should be possible to keep a skeleton service running on the main corridors, where there are no steep hills. The problem is sharing the road with idiots in cars, who block up the whole place. I am reminded of the terrible floods one November a few years ago. Dublin came to a standstill. The buses were the only thing that could get through the floods, using the bus lanes. However, the bus lanes were full of marooned cars, so the buses got stuck too.

It's a bit like putting Jamie Oliver in the kitchen, then letting all the general public into the kitchen beside him to make beans on toast, and expecting Jamie Oliver to be able to come up with a decent meal, with everyone else in the way, hogging the pots and the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I tried to get to work this morning, checked the Dublin Bus website to see if they had any disruptions - no info there, so I ended up waiting at the bus stop for 30 minutes before I gave up. Found out about the service suspension on RTE.

I understand the weather is a problem, and it's a bank holiday, but surely they could at least write "NO SERVICE" on their website or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

It was not put up on their website until 9.30am.

Somebody asleep at the wheel im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I remember terrible snow and ice years ago, yet the buses kept running, even if they were delayed by up to hours in some cases. It should be possible to keep a skeleton service running on the main corridors, where there are no steep hills. The problem is sharing the road with idiots in cars, who block up the whole place. I am reminded of the terrible floods one November a few years ago. Dublin came to a standstill. The buses were the only thing that could get through the floods, using the bus lanes. However, the bus lanes were full of marooned cars, so the buses got stuck too.

It's a bit like putting Jamie Oliver in the kitchen, then letting all the general public into the kitchen beside him to make beans on toast, and expecting Jamie Oliver to be able to come up with a decent meal, with everyone else in the way, hogging the pots and the oven.

I pay enough road tax and vat on petrol etc, I'm not standing around on the off chance a bus will show up. I'll take my chances in the car thank you.
    I lived in north USA for a while. This is only a bit of light snow with frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

spongeman wrote: »

I'd say they were far from the wheel last night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

spadder wrote: »
    I lived in north USA for a while. This is only a bit of light snow with frost.

Its a relative thing. It may be only a light bit of snow with frost in comparison to Chicago or Toronto, but in Irish terms, its severe.

Having said that, we don't have the population density or climatic conditions which would make it necessary to invest and have on stand-by the infrastructure required to keep the roads clear for the few occasions we experience these conditions (or, no longer, the fiscal base to make it affordable!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

spongeman wrote: »
    It was not put up on their website until 9.30am..

The DB website is never updated on time. If there's any doubt, you should always ring your depot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

And yet somehow the Airport Coach service is still running like clockwork as it does each and every day. Why is that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

In fairness, I'd say it'd be easier to drive a tri-axle coach rather than a bus in the conditions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to extreme weather conditions there are currently no bus services operating on Friday 1st January.

Dublin Bus are closely monitoring the situation, please check back here throughout the day for further updates.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

Last Updated 10:15hrs.

Or you could always phone the garage that operates the service you need for more up to date information:

Donnybrook; 01-7034522 Ringsend; 01-7034533 Conyngham Rd; 01-7032172 Summerhill; 01-7033139

Clontarf; 01-7034619 Phibsboro; 01-7033462 Harristown; 01-7031104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

markpb wrote: »
    The DB website is never updated on time. If there's any doubt, you should always ring your depot.

I did try but got no answer when I tried to ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

devnull wrote: »
    In fairness, I'd say it'd be easier to drive a tri-axle coach rather than a bus in the conditions!

I'm sure I've seen tri-axle double decker buses - on the 46A and 145 routes anyway. Perhaps they could at least put them on the road or are they not the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Just heard on the 1 o'clock news that dublin bus will operate a limited service from 1 pm on main corridors only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to extreme weather conditions a limited bus service is operating only on the below routes from 14:00hrs.

Bus services can only operate on the main corridors where roads have already been gritted. Dublin Bus are closely monitoring the situation, please check back here throughout the day for further updates.

Last Updated 14:00hrs.

Bus routes operating a limited service are;

13 - from City Centre to Ballymun

15 - from City Centre to Spawell/N81 Roundabout

25 - from City Centre to Newcastle Road/N4 Junction

27 - from City Centre to Darndale roundabout

33 - from City Centre to Skerries

39 - from City Centre to Ashtown

40 - from City Centre to N2/St Margarets Road

41 - from City Centre to Swords Manor(not River Valley)

46a - from City Centre to UCD Belfield

51b - from City Centre to Red Cow

65b - from City Centre to Belgard Road/N81 Junction

77 - from City Centre to Walkinstown Roundabout

151 - from City Centre to Drimnagh Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I know when I worked for Dublin City Services, the change from front engined to rear engined buses was a nightmare, they were notoriously unstable on ice and snow. I'd have thought they would have sorted that by now though.

Cancelled totally now.
    Friday 1st January 2010
    Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to deteriorating weather conditions the limited service has been withdrawn and there are no bus services operating on Friday 1st January 2010.

Saturday 2nd January 2010
    Dublin Bus will closely monitor weather conditions, please check back here regularly for further updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Its now essential that councils get gritters out tomorrow and in force too. With up to -10 forecast tonight, there will be no improvement and heavier traffic will be out and about tomorrow. Glad Im staying at home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

No gritting done last night,

all drivers were in the depots but nothing was allowed out for safety reasons so everyone was sent home at 4:30.

They had inspectors out checking the roads and their opinion was that it was too dangerous with other road users. Aircoach is a different kind of service with limited stops compared to normal city services its stopping and starting that is really tricky. I was working last night and when you try to take off the back tends to step out once you are actually moving its not too bad but the nature of the service is continual stopping and starting.

shltter wrote: »
    all drivers were in the depots but nothing was allowed out for safety reasons so everyone was sent home at 4:30.

Fair play to ye for giving it a go! I wouldn't fancy driving anything out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Bad-Weather/
    Weather Disrupts Bus Services
    Friday, January 01, 2010

Disruptions to bus services due to extreme weather conditions, please see below for further details.

Friday 1st January 2010
    Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to deteriorating weather conditions the limited service has been withdrawn and there are no bus services operating on Friday 1st January 2010.

Dublin Bus will closely monitor weather conditions, please check back here regularly for further updates.

Last Updated 17:00hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Capital city without any public transport going to the airport. Great!

unseen wrote: »
    Capital city without any public transport going to the airport. Great!
    Aircoach is still running to the airport, seem to have a few buses out there according to their live position feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

And it appears Dublin Coach are running one of their mini buses. But the coaches have been pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Great to see Dublin Bus using their Twitter profile to keep people informed. . . it was last updated in September :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If there's one thing that this has proved, it's that Dublin Bus hasn't really grasped the concept of using the internet as a medium of communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just to ensure that we understand just WHO was "asleep at the wheel" let us be clear that it was NOT the Drivers.

The majority of Divers turned up for work at ALL Dublin Bus garages.
    There was no problem with staffing and the first Drivers would have reported in some garages as early as 0800.

What transpired subsequently will require some further investigation,but it is fair to say that there was a lack of even the minimum levels of cohesive or strategic planning to to allow for safe operation of Bus services.

Senior Operational advice appeared to be lacking or worse still indescisive.
    It appears that Depot Administrative staff had difficulties in contacting any Senior Operational staff who might have been useful in supplying accurate data in relation to what Road Treatment was ongoing or where it was planned.

Local Depot Administrators were relying on AA Roadwatch,Local Garda Stations and Staff reports in some attempt to get a "Bigger Picture" of what was happening out on the streets.

If,as we now know,general conditions were so bad,then it would have been seriously remiss to despatch some hundreds of Buses out to do battle with the elements which were being largely ignored by the Statutory Bodies with responsibility for dealing with them.

The culture of modern management also ensured that "Health and Safety" became the major deciding factor in any action taken,or not taken in this case.

Health and Safety in this case more accurately relates to Corporate Liability or the exposure to same if,subsequent to a Managerial decision to begin services,there were to be a major accident.

I think most people would concur that todays conditions were certainly not conducive to safe operations,but the lack of support shown by the City/County Administrations did much to worsen the situation.

I cannot comment on Aircoach operations but I do know that their management were also reliant upon non-official sources for their roads information and their services were also curtailed as far as Stillorgan in the main.

They did also have some close-shaves and minor tips with other items of street furniture but as their total risk- exposure is significantly lower than Dublin Bus then their decision to operate may have been easier to take.

The Dublin Bus decision would also have had to take into account the non-weather related ( but certainly "Liability" related) situation "in the estates" where DB services are expected to penetrate.

My own experiences in a South Dublin estate at 20.30 on New Years Eve leaves me in no doubt whatever that many of the disadvantaged bored local youths had quite a range of interesting japes planned for any Buses coming along later/today.

However none of the above should be regarded as an excuse for the TOTAL shutdown of an EU Capital City`s public transport system after a medium snowfall which occurred 8 hours previously.

Dublin Bus should have had the situation under far more sustained observation since mid new years eve.
    It IS a failure of Management Reporting Systems that it was not aware of its own situation and in a position to advise it`s own staff and customers appropriately.

THAT,however is a slightly different topic to the actual road conditions which have been allowed to bring the country to a standstill.

We know now,courtesy of the National Archive,that back in 1979 we had a National Emergency Co-Ordination Committee which had not met for over 7 years previously.

It would appear that little has changed in 30 years.:mad:

Tomorrow should be an interesting scenario !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

im a driver and i reported for work today i drove in my car and it was very icy and had 1 or 2 hairy moments so im glad we were not sent out driving the bus because i would hate to think what would of happened if any mishaps came about and from a health and safety point i wouldnt of left the garage im responsible for all passangers and i know the conditions were not safe to drive on its alright complaining about but were would you rather be "at home or in hospital" blame the councils for not gritting the roads early enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The question is why there's been so little grouting of the roads hours after the snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

i heard a rumour that the councils were not paying any xtra money to the staff to come in so i reckon thats the reason no gritting was done there has to be answers answered from the councils to this its a laugh alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This was an update on South Dublin Co. Co. website earlier:

Roads Status Information Update 01.01.2010

South Dublin County Council's road gritting crews have been out evenings (7.00pm) and early mornings (5.00am) since 16th December. Due to the severe weather conditions last night it was necessary for the crews to do an additional run this morning. The crews have also been working during the days over the Christmas period to clear and open roads in the higher grounds, using snow ploughs and other equipment. During this extended period of severe weather, the Council has continued to re-order salt supplies but is now finding it ever more difficult to achieve deliveries because of the countrywide demand on the limited availability of supply. The Council had stockpiled salt supplies in excess of its normal annual requirements and was successful in acquiring additional deliveries, however with the weather forecast predicting continuing frosty conditions it is necessary, in the absence of a guaranteed supply, to prioritise the gritting on the primary routes within the county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

shltter wrote: »
    No gritting done last night

I must've imagined the gritting trucks with bright orange lights crawling outside my door on a non-artery road at 5am this morning..

However with the weather forecast predicting continuing frosty conditions it is necessary, in the absence of a guaranteed supply, to prioritise the gritting on the primary routes within the county.

So we now learn that there IS a problem with stocks,at the tail-end of the Press Release.
    I would also like to have a more precise definition of the Primary routes which are allegedly being treated with the regularity claimed.

Some element of the normal response has altered and we are not being told.
    It is also quite obviously a National Issue as the reports come from all around the country.

Interesting too that we have no indication of interest from any Government Minister ??

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Anyone know about bus service today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Dublin Bus site now updated - most buses runnning

Routes still affected are listed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 3rdman

Just came back into Dublin yesterday so hadn't heard about the cancelations. Was waiting on o' connell st for about 25 mins at about 4:30. Thing is, there were at least 50 people doing the same thing. Surely a sign could have been put up in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

3rdman wrote: »
    Just came back into Dublin yesterday so hadn't heard about the cancelations. Was waiting on o' connell st for about 25 mins at about 4:30. Thing is, there were at least 50 people doing the same thing. Surely a sign could have been put up in the area?

That'd be a bit unrealistic no? Surely then they'd have to have a sign at every bus stop and not just the one you were standing at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 3rdman

howiya wrote: »
    That'd be a bit unrealistic no? Surely then they'd have to have a sign at every bus stop and not just the one you were standing at?

Not every bus stop but considering there were at least 50 people on o'connell st it wouldn't have been a bad place to put one. Doubt there were that many waiting within such a close distance of each other anywhere else in the city. Mostly tourists too, doubt they were tuned into radio 1...

3rdman wrote: »
    Not every bus stop but considering there were at least 50 people on o'connell st it wouldn't have been a bad place to put one. Doubt there were that many waiting within such a close distance of each other anywhere else in the city. Mostly tourists too, doubt they were tuned into radio 1...

O'Connell Street is lined with bus stops. Where would you suggest that they put the sign so that people standing at bus stops at opposite ends of the street would be able to see it?

If you divide 50 people by the amount of bus stops it equates to the same as 4 or 5 people waiting at a bus stop in Clondalkin or Finglas who are equally as important as those waiting on a bus in O'Connell Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Disruptions to bus services due to extreme weather conditions, please see below for further details.

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that bus services are operating from all garages. However, where there are still poor conditions in housing estates and high level areas the below curtailments are currently in place.

Dublin Bus are closely monitoring weather conditions, please check back here regularly for further updates or phone our customer service line from 08:00hrs to 18:00hrs.

Last Updated 11:40hrs.

Curtailments currently in place;

3 - to Ringsend Garage only

7 - to Dun Laoghaire only

11 - not serving Wadelai

13 - via Ballymun Road to Ikea

14 - currently no service

15 - to Spawell Roundabout only

17 - currently no service

18 - currently no service

25a - not serving Foxborough, staying on N4

27 - to Malahide Road only

27b - not serving Castletimon

29a - to Howth Road only

31 - to Howth Village only

32 - not serving Baldoyle

37 - not serving Blackhorse Avenue

40/c - to St. Helenas only

41c - to Swords Main Street only

42 - not serving Yellow Walls

42b - only serving main Roads

43 - no service

44 - to Dundrum

45 - to Woodbrook

45a - no service

49 - to Spawell Roundabout

50 - to Walkinstown Roundabout

51b/c - to Bawnogue/Cherrywood only

53 - not serving East Wall staying on main roads

54a - no service

56a - to Walkinstown Roundabout

59 - no service

63 - no service

65 - to City West only

66 - not serving Lucan

66a - terminating at 66b terminus

68 - to Grangecastle only

70 - currently no service

74 - - to Spawell Roundabout

75 - currently no service

76 - Ballyfermot Road only

78a - to Neilstown/Ronanstown

77/a - Walkinstown Roundabout

79a - not serving Dieces Road

84 - to Bray Station only

102 - not serving Seabury or River Valley

104 - stopping at 17a terminus

111 - no service

114 - no service

120 - to Ratoath Road only

122 - terminating at Halfway House pub

123 - via Philipsburgh Avenue

145 - to Bray only

150 - to Walkinston Roundabout

151 - to Grange Castle only

239 - currently no service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely a substantial lack of buses on O'Connell Street should be a clue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Victor wrote: »
    Surely a substantial lack of buses on O'Connell Street should be a clue?

Or the fact cars are sliding past you....

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Would that be the same 40C running that was axed nearly 9 months ago.

Another poor show from Dublin Bus on the information front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Simple typo, relax.. at least we are getting information today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Would that be the same 40C running that was axed nearly 9 months ago.

Another poor show from Dublin Bus on the information front.
    one2one wrote: »
    Simple typo, relax.. at least we are getting information today.

so does anyone know which 40 isnt running A or D??

also am i right in assuming if a bus number hasnt been listed it is running normally?

thanks

There are for sure lessons to be learned in all of these situations.

Sadly,culturally we don`t really do the learning bit in any field,preferring instead to live in the hope of "something turning up".

In common with many of my colleagues who turned in for work yesterday I believe that a Capital City`s primary public transport service should be the LAST to leave the field of play in situations such as this.

Platform staff are full up to their gills with "Customer Service","Cultural Diversity" and Uncle Tom Cobley recognition courses all of which are focused on imposing additional layers of direct responsibility upon the Frontline Staff.

This may well make perfect sense to a young HR or IR Graduate fresh from that degree course BUT none of these people appear to realize that in order for the Frontline Staff to deliver on this new area of responsibility,the Driver/Clerical Officer MUST be fully supported by the management "Backroom".

It is this level of support which was conspicious by it`s absence on New Years Day 2010.
    For example the situation in the City Centre simply cannot be the responsibility of the several hundred different drivers from different garages operating on different routes who actually DO recognise the desirability of getting the Bums on their Bus Seats.

If I were in charge of the situation I would have immediately sourced two of the large Mobile LED Trailer-Signs now commonplace for Public Information at large scale events.

Place one at each end of O Connell St and enter the relevant information on a scrolling basis...These things ARE Hi Viz and people DO take notice of them.

Information is POWER and if harnessed can be of extreme benefit to both Operator and Customer/Passenger.

However traditionally we (Dublin Bus) have tended to shy away from such avant-garde schemes,preferring instead a sheet of A4 with doctors scrawl to guide those with good eyesight to their altered locations (This A4 Sheet then can often remain on the pole for years before finally succumbing to sheer old age or pestilance.)

The current weather situation is NOT extreme in any great sense,what IS extreme is the absense of any real public will to conquer the temporary adversity.
    It`s almost as if the will to actually do anything for ourselves has been sucked from within us and that is the REAL problem which any Government needs to address urgently.

irishbird wrote: »
    also am i right in assuming if a bus number hasnt been listed it is running normally?thanks

The last thing I would do is assume. Comparing the route against routes travelling through the same area might give you an idea. Probably best to ring the garage and check before leaving home

• Advertisement
Advertisement