Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disruption to Dublin Bus services

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Update 3PM on www.dublinbus.ie.

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to the recent heavy snowfall there is serious disruption to most services. There are dangerous driving conditions on all main city arteries and we are waiting for roads to be made safe before resuming services. We will have more up to date information available here as soon as possible.

Due to high volumes of traffic to dublinbus.ie we have been experiencing problems with the site for which we would like to apologise and are making every effort to rectify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Dublin bus could do 3 things which would ensure the word would spread independant of their website.

Twitter,
    Facebook,
    Boards.

Put a note on each and the word would spread in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

when your stranded miles from home dublin bus are the last crowd of people you'd be depending on to get home.
    just when the service is needed most they do what they do best.
    nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

From dublinbus.ie:

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to the recent heavy snowfall there is serious disruption to most services. There are dangerous driving conditions on all main city arteries and we are waiting for roads to be made safe before resuming services. We will have more up to date information available here as soon as possible.

Due to high volumes of traffic to dublinbus.ie we have been experiencing problems with the site for which we would like to apologise and are making every effort to rectify.

Last Updated 6th Jan 2010 - 15:00

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't have a twitter page, but DB don't seem to have updated theirs since September..it's a pity they (or CIE) don't interact with people via a 'talk to' section on boards. They need to do a better job at using the web.

As usual with these things we apply an Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Priceless, they can't even admit they're cancelled, but later on say they will resume later.

Glad to see whilst we're all screwed the spin doctor is alive and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Update 3PM on www.dublinbus.ie.

which appeared around 15:45 not 15:00.. DB PR BS!

No doubt they willl wheel Cliona out soon with the usual mix of lies and spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

stop wrote: »
    which appeared around 15:45 not 15:00.. DB PR BS!

I assume you didn't read the last bit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Will they honour my bus ticket tomorrow then? I bought a prepaid one which will now pass it's 24 hours without being used again and therefore I'm losing money on it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

KC61 wrote: »
    This is odd.

Having done some checking, as far as I know the only bus route currently controlled from the central unit is the 123.

All other routes remain controlled from the respective depots, until the next rollout of the AVLC.

The website is being updated at Head Office, but they do rely on the information supplied by the garages.

No all buses are controlled by central now no radio in depots thats why the depots have no idea whats happening

shltter wrote: »
    No all buses are controlled by central now no radio in depots thats why the depots have no idea whats happening

I must say that the pepole in central control are totally out of their depth and the only effect they have had on everyne has been NEGATIVE, VERY NEGATIVE.

They are clerly unfit for the job and the people in the garages could do MUCH better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

From DB website

Last Updated 15:00

Basically they want the roads gritted before they go to work...don't know what to make of it to be honest, seems quite heavy handed but probably in public interest - hard to believe a lot of routes are bad enough to just say "right, shut em all down"

but then...I don't really know what I'm talking about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

shltter wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification.

A few hours of snow and they pull the whole damn city?

How do other countries cope with actual snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

News on Radio 1 just said that Dublin Bus hope to resume after roads have been gritted in the next hour or so. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Agent J wrote: »
    Dublin bus could do 3 things which would ensure the word would spread independant of their website.

Twitter,
    Facebook,
    Boards.

Put a note on each and the word would spread in seconds.

I txted the Dublin Bus timetable thingie and it confirms that buses are not running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

I must say that the pepole in central control are totally out of their depth and the only effect they have had on everyne has been NEGATIVE, VERY NEGATIVE.

They are clerly unfit for the job and the people in the garages could do MUCH better.

Same people that used to do the job in depots just moved to central control. The problem is that there is now a lack of contact between drivers and the people controlling the routes. Decisions are now being made for the whole city it seems rather than on a local basis.
    Also there is a bigger emphasis on safety in Dublin Bus in general now so people are unwilling to take a "chance" as they would have done in years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I assume you didn't read the last bit;)
    You assume incorrectly. :D
    I was able to access the rest of the site until the switched it off when the posted that message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hey guys, dont think this is the right thread, so is there a thread for general bus eireann disruption enquiries? Just wondering if the Dublin - Cork and Dublin - Belfast routes are running as normal. Didnt see anything on their website, and have got no answers ringing Busaras. Nothing about it on the website, but rather be safe than sorry!

Luas are still running

Red line- Everything except the Connolly -IFSC section
    Green line - Running now but that might change(Apparently according to newstalk)

No reports of Problems with Irish Rail at the moment either.(Correction: Issues with Docklands station apparently)

Dublin Airport is closed for the next few hours.

Bus Eireann serivces delayed by about an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

I heard that a bus skidded in Drumcondra so that could be the reason. The roads are like glass to be fair.

was on the 16a coming from the airport and 2 buses couldnt make it up the hill at santry woods. all the buses were then told to pull in about 5 mins later. quicker walking anyway with all the traffic

Aircoach still running with delays they're updating their twitter www.twitter.com/aircoach/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Have to say that I've never seen the roads in Dublin as bad as they are today.Cars are getting stuck on even the slightest incline. Driving a truck or bus would be very foolhardy indeed.
    While I have the utmost sympathy for all those stuck in work I believe that Dublin Bus made the right decision grounding the buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I see there is nothing at Dublin Airport http://www.radarvirtuel.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If the roads are that bad..isn't it going to be a considerable job to get buses pulled in near or at the outer termini back to the garage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

i really feel for people stuck in work. Took me 2 hours to get from the quays to the phoenix park, the quays are like an ice rink, and slight incline at all, your not getting up it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Very very dangerous conditions at the Clonsilla level crossing- cars struggling to make it over the bridge, an IR permanent way gang were salting the crossing and sweeping ice to help, but avoid if you can- an accident there seems inevitable tonight.
    Maynooth line services are being delayed(probably being help up by the crossings- cars are getting stuck for minutes at a time and if not for the IR staff on the scene stopping traffic, the gates would never close), and all Docklands services are operating to and from Connolly instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

even worse - the people who are in limbo, having left work for buses and taxis which are now non-existent.

And if they want to be picked up, that aint gonna be easy either...well and truly snookered.

My other-half is lucky enough to be waiting for my dad on his way out of town, there are streams of befuddled pedestrians stranded all over the shop.

God I love this country!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Now we're back to this. Useless.

Disruptions to bus services due to extreme weather conditions, please see below for further details.

Wednesday 6th January 2010
    Dublin Bus are operating a full service on Wednesday 6th January. However there are a number of areas where conditions are still poor and curtailments are in place, these are listed below. Please check back here regularly for further updates or phone our customer service line from 07:00hrs to 18:00hrs on 8734222.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

Last Updated 12:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Disruptions to bus services due to extreme weather conditions, please see below for further details.

Dublin Bus are operating a full service on Wednesday 6th January. However there are a number of areas where conditions are still poor and curtailments are in place, these are listed below. Please check back here regularly for further updates or phone our customer service line from 07:00hrs to 18:00hrs on 8734222.

They've said they are having problems due to the amount of people accessing the site....you know the buses are cancelled for atleast the next hour or more until roads are gritted! So what difference does it make that thats back up?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Aircoach still running with delays they're updating their twitter www.twitter.com/aircoach/

typical, a private company continues to work, yet dublin bus cancels its service at the slightest hint of an opportunity. in any other country such a sh1tty excuse for a company as dublin bus would have been killed off long ago.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The Dublin Bus website doesn't know whats hit it!

I have no idea how I'm gonna get home :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

genericguy wrote: »
    typical, a private company continues to work, yet dublin bus cancels its service at the slightest hint of an opportunity. in any other country such a sh1tty excuse for a company as dublin bus would have been killed off long ago.
    Oh but if Dublin Bus continued to operate and had an unfortunate accident that led to some deaths, it would more likely be they're negligence that caused it and how irresponsible it was.....well I can imagine that's what would start being said round here! Oh and don't forget somehow it would be the Goverments fault! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

genericguy wrote: »

Comparing Aircoachs operation to the Dublin Bus network is a not fair. DB operate buses to the outer suburbs of the city where conditions are terrible. My estate hasn't thawed at all since the snow started last week. Aircoach are operating on relatively high use arteries through the city with the exception of Greystones,which has just had it's aircoach service pulled according to their twitter page.

The word I'm getting is that officially nothing is running BUT if you're lucky you might find some routes operating. But nothing you could count on in advance so just take what you find, don't wait at a stop for an expected bus. Basically chaos.

So I'd advise anyone to take any bus they happen to see heading in their general direction and expect to walk it from there. Or else be sensible and book yourself a bed in Isaac's hostel for the night. If you don't need to get back home to the burbs tonight and have another better option, then be sensible and take it.

Today FM reporting that Dublin bus serivces will be resuming now.

Agent J wrote: »
    Today FM reporting that Dublin bus serivces will be resuming now.

They might be getting ahead of themselves. *some* services will resume, on "main" routes (whatever that means). Plus there's a bundle of chaos with getting drivers to relieve each other's shifts when the finishing driver is stuck on a roadside in the middle of the suburbs rather than near a garage where he needs to be for the switchover. So we could be seeing a lot of chaos for the remainder of the day.

spoonface wrote: »
    They might be getting ahead of themselves. *some* services will resume, on "main" routes (whatever that means). Plus there's a bundle of chaos with getting drivers to relieve each other's shifts when the finishing driver is stuck on a roadside in the middle of the suburbs rather than near a garage where he needs to be for the switchover. So we could be seeing a lot of chaos for the remainder of the day.

Oh id definatly be taking anything dublin bus says with a pinch of salt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

spoonface wrote: »

accoring to aaroadwatch
    • Dublin Bus services have resumed where possible. However, there are some curtailments.There are severe difficulties operating in Lucan, Blanchardstown, Fairview and Stillorgan. See www.dublinbus.ie. •

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭rgfuller

5.25pm update on the dublinbus.ie website

"Dublin Bus are currently starting to resume limited service on main corridors where possible. In some areas buses may not be able to access suburban estates and are likely to stay only on main roads. We advise customers to travel as early as possible but to be aware that the bus services are severely disrupted not just due to the adverse road conditions but also due to traffic congestion and accidents during the last number of hours. Dart are providing an enhanced service and both Dart and Luas will honour Dublin Bus tickets.

Last updated 17.25"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Fresh update
    Dublin Bus wrote:
    Dublin Bus are currently starting to resume limited service on main corridors where possible. In some areas buses may not be able to access suburban estates and are likely to stay only on main roads. We advise customers to travel as early as possible but to be aware that the bus services are severely disrupted not just due to the adverse road conditions but also due to traffic congestion and accidents during the last number of hours. Dart are providing an enhanced service and both Dart and Luas will honour Dublin Bus tickets.

Last updated 17.25

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

When they say main routes I presume they would mean a service along the main routes out of the city, example 46A to foxrock, 145 to Loughlinstown maybe, 7/4 to blackrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

spareman wrote: »
    When they say main routes I presume they would mean a service along the main routes out of the city, example 46A to foxrock, 145 to Loughlinstown maybe, 7/4 to blackrock.

Yeah,i'd imagine any routes that go through housing estates(eg.25a) are off limits. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Update there on http://matthews.ie

Wednesday, 6th January: Due to the current weather conditions, some services are going to be affected. Please contact the Office for current updates.

Update 5:40PM:

* Bettystown service curtailed at the moment due to dangerous road conditions. We can pick up at Europa Hotel or Jullianstown for Dublin.
    * Parnell Square East, Parnell Street and Gardiner Street are currently impassible so we are loading and unloading at DID Electrical in Mountjoy Square. There are delays but we are doing our best to get everyone home

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

anyone know if the 123's are on? Prob unlikely.

tesslab wrote: »
    anyone know if the 123's are on? Prob unlikely.
    Where are you trying to go to/from?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

suir road to summerhill.

tesslab wrote: »
    suir road to summerhill.

Thats south circular road right? not sure which end but your best bet to walk either to leesen street or dolphins barn and get a bus to the city anyway.

• Advertisement

Just got word, roads are starting to freeze over now as temps drop, BUSES MAY BE PULLED AGAIN SOON.

Advertisement