Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disruption to Dublin Bus services

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

howiya wrote: »
    Gritters stuck in rush hour traffic. That'll fix it

10am to 1pm? Hardly rush hour. Met Eireann had the arrival of snow down to a particular time frame. Whats the point in all this met science if it isn't used effectively.

Too many excuses in this country and too many prepared to accept it while they complain about stupid things like why DB couldn't get a bus moving along an iced up road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

DDigital wrote: »
    10am to 1pm? Hardly rush hour. Met Eireann had the arrival of snow down to a particular time frame. Whats the point in all this met science if it isn't used effectively.

Too many excuses in this country and too many prepared to accept it while they complain about stupid things like why DB couldn't get a bus moving along an iced up road.

My point being that the City Council say they will have 7 gritters out between half 3 and 6am. In this two and a half hour window they will grit 300km of roadway. I don't think this would be feasible within the hours of 10am to 1pm when traffic is taken into consideration.

Also if guys are out from 3.30 in the morning, their shifts will likely be over around 10 or 11 in the morning. Who grits the roads then?

There has been lots of speculation regarding whether or not the councils have the resources to undertake the gritting programmes that are required but that's for another thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

howiya wrote: »
    My point being that the City Council say they will have 7 gritters out between half 3 and 6am. In this two and a half hour window they will grit 300km of roadway. I don't think this would be feasible within the hours of 10am to 1pm when traffic is taken into consideration.

Also if guys are out from 3.30 in the morning, their shifts will likely be over around 10 or 11 in the morning. Who grits the roads then?

There has been lots of speculation regarding whether or not the councils have the resources to undertake the gritting programmes that are required but that's for another thread

Nobody grits the road then my friend. because at that point they will have run out of grit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

This post has been deleted.

Any that braved it, that is. I dropped a woman off at Heuston and could have had my pick of fares except I was off to another pick up which I had to call off as the traffic was too congested to even guess a time on. I didn't see as many cabs out as I would have expected; perhaps they too were stuck out in the suburbs (I live close enough to town so am handier for town)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think part of the problem is that DB did not know what was happening never mind passing the information on.

Today would have to count as one of the worst days ever for Dublin`s status as a European Capital City.

However I`m heartened that most posters do appear to differentiate between a total collapse of the City`s Infrastructure and a collapse of Dublin Bus per se.

There was a rapid deterioration in driving conditions which has specific effects on a City BUS operation which is by nature a Stop/Go affair.

Interestingly the modern fixation with accessibility now ensures that Busdrivers MUST pull in to the kerb or face discipline.

This process however,in the current conditions aften proves the undoing of the Driver as he/she is then unable to regain traction to re-enter the traffic flow,not helped by motorists who will burst a blood vessel to actively prevent a bus getting in front of THEIR car.

Todays conditions also led to buses (mine included) simply losing ALL adhesion and sliding backwards,forwards AND sideways irrespective of whatever control inputs come from the driver.

This was a particularly stressful at many points in the City as buses (mine included) slid towards some of the doziest pedestrians and cyclists I have ever encountered....Mrs..if you see a large blue and yellow double deck sliding crabways towards you,with the driver flashing headlights and waving at YOU,then run as fast as you can...DON`T stand there waiting for the thing to stop..cos it CAN`T.

That element was of huge relevance today as many drivers simply could not guarantee the full and safe control of their Bus under the conditions as presented.

The dangers,and they were VERY real dangers,that were increasingly occurring came at very slow speed indeed.
    The speed issue was irrelevant,as if some 11 tonnes of Double Deck Bus presses into the human frame at even .5Kmh it WILL kill it.

The increasing possibility of that occurring in the City Centre played no small part in the somewhat protracted decision to withdraw services.

Its all about Risk Management or in this case Risk Elimination.

The entire communication issue is worth comment too.
    The Customer Service aspect does indeed require close review and IMMEDIATE improvement.

However of far greater safety relevance was the failure of the Central Control system to adequately control or issue up to date information to Drivers,who could then pass that on to their passengers on board.

Dublin Bus has been badly caught offside here as the introduction of the Central Control in advance of full implimentation of the Automatic Vehicle Location facility must be seen as a mistake.

I understand that at least one EU City visited by Dublin Bus management in a fact-finding capacity subsequently decided to revert to Local Control due to it being dissatisfied with the actual gains from the Centralization process.

In Dublins Case,I feel that a return to a more Local form of control would be of greater benefit to customers.
    In the old days,each garage had a Mobile Inspector,one of whose duties in conditions like todays,was to travel about the Garage Routes and assess the conditions and to provide support as required.

There was a constant liason between the Depot Mobile and the Garage itself which allowed the Garage Inspectorate to usually give accurate answers to telephone queries.

That is no longer the case and it`s fair to say that communication between Control and Drivers today was at best patchy,and at worst non-existent.

What was noticable today was the sad example of just how bad things are in terms of our self-respect and ability to do stuff for ourselves.

Why I wonder,was it only the Middle-Aged,Elderly or Women that I saw attempting to clear snow from footpaths and premises.

What prompted two twenty-something half-wits to throw some very hard-packed snowballs at close-range at the side windows of my Bus in Dorset St,frightening the life out of the elderly women sitting the othe other side of the glass?

The pair of slack-jawed morons could only roar with laughter and jump about like the apes they are most closely related to in preference to actually attempting to do something positive with their energy.

Picking up a fricking shovel or brush would have been doubtless beneath their dignity as young hip Irish "Lads".

Probably ferarful of staining their tracksuits or ruining a burgeoning criminal career due to exertion,all this pair of Celtic Bud`s could manage was a good attempt at smashing something,all the better if it`s publically owned like a Bus.

The Health and Safety culture has essentially castrated us as an effective force nationally.
    We sit transfixed and immobile like a rabbit caught in the headlamps glare,all the while waiting for somebody to come along and get us out of the mess.....some day very soon,we`ll be left waiting and the only light we`ll see is the fast disappearing tail-light of the last train from Deadsville. :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Surely not every single road in Dublin was unusable? Would it not have been better off left up to each driver to decide if it was safe to run or not. Seen several people waiting at bus stops not knowing what was going on, several elderly people too.

Must say though taxi drivers must have made a killing the ones that were out because every single rank in town was empty with huge ques.

I would suggest to Cap`n Morgan that for a significant period of time today that yes indeed every single road over which Dublin Bus operates WAS unusable.

It was unheard of for Controllers to INSTRUCT Drivers to cease operations.

The initial message was directed to Drivers already at a terminus,and instructed them to remain there.
    Approx 15 mins later ALL drivers were INSTRUCTED to pull in at the next safe location and await instructions.
    A Third instruction followed to those Drivers who had disregarded the initial one....THAT left Drivers under no illusion that the Company was in the mood for operations in the conditions.

If,as we now hear the City Council can only muster 7 Gritting trucks to operate on the morrow,then we appear to have a major problem with the status of the City itself...7 is Nowhere sufficient to comprehensively cover the Capitals roads and streets network.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Today would have to count as one of the worst days ever for Dublin`s status as a European Capital City.

However I`m heartened that most posters do appear to differentiate between a total collapse of the City`s Infrastructure and a collapse of Dublin Bus per se.

There was a rapid deterioration in driving conditions which has specific effects on a City BUS operation which is by nature a Stop/Go affair.

Interestingly the modern fixation with accessibility now ensures that Busdrivers MUST pull in to the kerb or face discipline.

This process however,in the current conditions aften proves the undoing of the Driver as he/she is then unable to regain traction to re-enter the traffic flow,not helped by motorists who will burst a blood vessel to actively prevent a bus getting in front of THEIR car.

Todays conditions also led to buses (mine included) simply losing ALL adhesion and sliding backwards,forwards AND sideways irrespective of whatever control inputs come from the driver.

This was a particularly stressful at many points in the City as buses (mine included) slid towards some of the doziest pedestrians and cyclists I have ever encountered....Mrs..if you see a large blue and yellow double deck sliding crabways towards you,with the driver flashing headlights and waving at YOU,then run as fast as you can...DON`T stand there waiting for the thing to stop..cos it CAN`T.

That element was of huge relevance today as many drivers simply could not guarantee the full and safe control of their Bus under the conditions as presented.

The dangers,and they were VERY real dangers,that were increasingly occurring came at very slow speed indeed.
    The speed issue was irrelevant,as if some 11 tonnes of Double Deck Bus presses into the human frame at even .5Kmh it WILL kill it.

The increasing possibility of that occurring in the City Centre played no small part in the somewhat protracted decision to withdraw services.

The Customer Service aspect does indeed require close review and IMMEDIATE improvement.

However of far greater safety relevance was the failure of the Central Control system to adequately control or issue up to date information to Drivers,who could then pass that on to their passengers on board.

Dublin Bus has been badly caught offside here as the introduction of the Central Control in advance of full implimentation of the Automatic Vehicle Location facility must be seen as a mistake.

I understand that at least one EU City visited by Dublin Bus management in a fact-finding capacity subsequently decided to revert to Local Control due to it being dissatisfied with the actual gains from the Centralization process.

In Dublins Case,I feel that a return to a more Local form of control would be of greater benefit to customers.
    In the old days,each garage had a Mobile Inspector,one of whose duties in conditions like todays,was to travel about the Garage Routes and assess the conditions and to provide support as required.

There was a constant liason between the Depot Mobile and the Garage itself which allowed the Garage Inspectorate to usually give accurate answers to telephone queries.

That is no longer the case and it`s fair to say that communication between Control and Drivers today was at best patchy,and at worst non-existent.

What was noticable today was the sad example of just how bad things are in terms of our self-respect and ability to do stuff for ourselves.

Why I wonder,was it only the Middle-Aged,Elderly or Women that I saw attempting to clear snow from footpaths and premises.

What prompted two twenty-something half-wits to throw some very hard-packed snowballs at close-range at the side windows of my Bus in Dorset St,frightening the life out of the elderly women sitting the othe other side of the glass?

The pair of slack-jawed morons could only roar with laughter and jump about like the apes they are most closely related to in preference to actually attempting to do something positive with their energy.

Picking up a fricking shovel or brush would have been doubtless beneath their dignity as young hip Irish "Lads".

Probably ferarful of staining their tracksuits or ruining a burgeoning criminal career due to exertion,all this pair of Celtic Bud`s could manage was a good attempt at smashing something,all the better if it`s publically owned like a Bus.

The Health and Safety culture has essentially castrated us as an effective force nationally.
    We sit transfixed and immobile like a rabbit caught in the headlamps glare,all the while waiting for somebody to come along and get us out of the mess.....some day very soon,we`ll be left waiting and the only light we`ll see is the fast disappearing tail-light of the last train from Deadsville. :mad:

I agree completely on the central control of course all this was said when it was being suggested but nobody listens.
    Also I can't see how this is even saving money same number of inspectors in the depot and the same number doing radio just doing it from a place where they have no face to face contact with the drivers.
    Today is a prime example of how central control does not work, before the controllers would have seen the drivers starting, finishing and breaking much easier to get a handle on what is happening. Now it is not unusual to be talking to someone on the radio who does not even know where your bus goes never mind your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Alek, one thing you have picked up that few posts have talked about is the shocking driver and pedestrian behavior in and around the snowy and icy roads that we experienced today.

Cars creeping up an extra 2 foot and hence blocking junctions etc are bad enough but today they really showed up to cause havoc while the amount of jaywalking/jayskidding people as motorists try to safely move off already skidding cars has made many of us skip more than a few heart beats.

And as for the 6,000 rev in first gear merchants:rolleyes: I am shocked that nobody yet has been killed on the roads tonight though I may yet not know of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Very good point.
    I'm the only person on my road of 16 houses who made any sort of effort to clear the snow off the road.
    I cleared my driveway, the section of road out side my house, I gritted the surface with the sand I bought before xmas in anticipation of the bad weather which cost a megre €2.99 per bag from Homebase.
    I live in a housing estate in Dublin, and our cul de sac in north facing, resulting in fvck all sunlight in the winter which means we have ice on our street long after the thaw has taken effect.
    One of my neighbours drove past me and though his opened car window remarked that it would be great if I would do the same outside his house. I told him I had enough sand for him to use if he wanted to clear his patch, surprise surprise, it hasn't been touched.
    As a society, Irish people always want somebody else to do something about whatever problem we're facing at the time.
    If everyone on my street had gotten off their arse's for one hour we'd have a safe gritted street and we could feel some collective pride in ourselves. Instead my neighbours chose to stay inside and ignore each other as normal, what a country.
    I don't fall into any of the age groups you mentioned, I'm 26 myself, I think you either have a "can do" attitude or you wallow in your mess waiting for someone else to come and save you, which unfortunately seems to be the attitude most people take these days.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

shltter wrote: »
    More people trying to access it than it was able to handle basically. All websites will crash if more people try to access it than it is designed to handle.
    Could the site be improved so it could handle more requests yes of course but with any site you design it for what you think will be normal usage with some spare capacity not for the one day when multiples of the normal usage try to access it.

Not necessarily true, It was probably the backend database that couldn't handle the amount of requests given that when the frontpage was changed to a static page it stayed up. TBH design or planning is not something that you would associate with that site.

One thing this has highlighted yet again is that dublin cannot continue to rely on buses as the sole mode of public transport for so many of it's suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Connected to www.dublinbus.ie (84.23.10.60).
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

That's their problem right there :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Jeez, How do you manage to cover everything in one post?
    You really are good at this, As usual Alek comes in, and kills the thread stone dead with his common sense approach to everything and ends all arguments.

Im not sure about central control being an issue, more like the usual aproach of DB management, pass the book, everyone affraid to make a decision. My radio went very quiet once the **** hit the fan around 1pm today, before that we were being updated on everything from slippy spots to housing estates to avoid, Once it became a citywide problem there seemed to be a complete lack of leadership from management.

As for the City council, Can't believe they are getting off so lightly while DB take the stick for pulling the buses, Roads were a complete joke, I myself had a few hairy moments particulary with stupid pedestrians who presumed I would slow down to let them cross, when in actual fact I speeded up once I applied my brakes, Was only a matter of time before somebody was killed, and off course then people would blame DB for not pulling services.

We all know councils are under sever pressure financially this year, But I believe they would have saved money by gritting the roads properly, and they will believe it too when the claims start to roll in, Tonight between 12am and 6am our gritters will cover 300km, while in donegal where there are no problems, there gritters will cover 1200km. DCC WAKE UP!!!

Communication from DB was very poor today, not just the fact there website was closed for business, but absolutely no information was given to drivers, Off course it doesnt help when somebody sets up an unofficial Dublin Bus twitter, and leaves it to rot, But In fairness I suppose the people in charge of communications prob didn't know what was happening themselves, nor did drivers for that matter.

The amount of people I seen traveling today when there was no need was ridiculas, People heading into town for a spot of shopping, others with christmas trees on roofs of cars. What part of absolutley necsesary did people not understand? I was dropping passengers into town at 2pm who were in town for shopping, asking me if the buses would be running later. Seriously, People on boards giving out they had no bus to bring them to there gyms. All morning while bringing people into town I was wondering to myself if these people would make it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Site still down - totally unacceptable.

Not even a list of contact numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The site is now up and running - it may well be that they were working on it overnight.

The home page www.dublinbus.ie has details of service curtailments.

From a cursory glance, Tallaght remains inaccessible from the city centre.

• Advertisement

Just in case the site goes down:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/
    Disruptions to bus services due to extreme weather conditions, please see below for further details.

Thursday 7th January 2010
    Dublin Bus are operating a full service on Thursday 7th January. However there are a number of areas where conditions are still poor and curtailments are in place, these are listed below. Please check back here regularly for further updates or phone our customer service line from 07:00hrs to 18:00hrs on 8734222.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

Last Updated 07:20

Curtailments currently in place;

3 - terminating at Viscount Pub, Swords Road

7 - from City Centre to Cherrywood only

11/a/b - not serving Wadelai, terminating at DCU

13 - only using main roads, not serving Ikea, Poppintree and Coultry

13a - only using main roads, not serving Poppintree, Shangan and Ikea

15 - to Spawell Roundabout only

16 - not serving Santry using Omni and going to Nutgrove Avenue instead of Grange Road

17a - not serving Clonshaugh

18 - From Sandymount to Palmerstown Cemetery (old terminus)

19/a - not serving Tolka Estate and terminating at Walkinstown Roundabout

20b - not serving terminus at Maryfield

25 - not serving Dodsboro

25a - from City Centre to Penny Hill Pub outer Ring Road

27 - not serving Coolock

27b - not serving Castletimon and Clonshaugh

29a - not serving Raheny and St. Annes

31/b - to Howth Station only

32/b - not serving Abbey Park

37 - not serving Blackhorse Avenue

38- not serving Mulhuddart using Castlecurragh Road

40/a - using Mellowes Road and Finglas Road and back to normal route at Lidl

40d - not serving Blanchardstown Corporate Business Park, terminating at shops on main road at Tyrellstown Estate.

42 - not serving Seabury

42b - via Malahide Road to Blunden Drive not serving Gracefield Road, Harmonstown Road and Tonglegee Road.

44 - to Kilternan only

44b - to Blue Church in Kilternan only

45 - to Bray Station only

46a - from City Centre to Stillorgan only

47 - from Donnybrook to Belarmine Roundabout only

49 - to Spawell Roundabout only

50 - from City Centre to Walkinsotwn Roundabout

51b/c - from City Centre to Red Cow only

53 - not serving East Wall staying on main roads

54a - to Balrothery via Wainsfort Road not using Fortfield Road

56/a - from City Centre to Walkinsotwn Roundabout

65 - to Spawell Roundabout only

65b - to Spawell Roundabout only

66/b - not serving Lucan

66a - not serving Lucan and Captains Hill, terminating at Louisa Bridge

67/a - not serving Lucan

68 - from City Centre to Red Cow only

69 - from City Centre to Red Cow only

76 - not serving Clondalkin Village. To tallaght via Fonthill Road and from Tallaght via Boot Road.

77/a - from City Centre to Walkinsotwn Roundabout

78a - from City Centre to Cherry Orchard Hospital only

79/a - not serving Spiddal Park and Parkwest, terminating at Cherry Orchard Hospital

83 - not serving Ballygall Road

84 - from City Centre to Bray Station only

102 - not serving Seabury and Forest Road

114 - from Kilcross to Blackrock Station

120 - using Fassaugh Avenue to 121 terminus

122 - using Quarry Road and terminating at Halfway House pub, Navan Road

123 - to and from Marino via Philipsburgh Avenue to Walkinstown Roundabout instead of Kilnamanagh Road

128- not serving Clongriffin, terminating at Donaghmede Roundabout

145 - to Bray Station only

140 - not serving Ikea, turning at Jamestown Roundabout

150 - to Walkinstown Roundabout

151 - to Walkinstown Roundabout only

185 - from Bray to Enniskerry Village only

220 - to ladyswell not serving Mulhuddart using Castlecurragh Road

238 - using Ballycoolin Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

What does that mean:

The 49 goes nowhere near this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

What does that mean:

I think what they really mean here is Templeouge village and that the bus effectively goes around the roundabout at the Spawell and then back into town. Same thing happened in last years snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

What does that mean:

kenco wrote: »
    I think what they really mean here is Templeouge village and that the bus effectively goes around the roundabout at the Spawell and then back into town. Same thing happened in last years snow.
    The 15 and 49 are both terminating at Spawell roundabout, instead of turning left on to templeogue bridge they continue straight up the N81 past cheeverstown until they hit the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Thursday 7th January 2010
    Dublin Bus are operating a full service on Thursday 7th January. However there are a number of areas where conditions are still poor and curtailments are in place, these are listed below. Please check back here regularly for further updates or phone our customer service line from 07:00hrs to 18:00hrs on 01-8734222.
    Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.
    Last Updated 08:05

Curtailments currently in place;

3 - terminating at Viscount Pub, Swords Road

7 - from City Centre to Cherrywood not serving Blackrock Village

11/a/b - not serving Wadelai, terminating at DCU

13 - only using main roads, not serving Ikea, Sillogue, Poppintree and Coultry

13a - only using main roads, not serving Poppintree, Shangan and Ikea

14/a - from City Centre to Dundrum only

15 - to Spawell Roundabout only

16/a - not serving Santry/Beaumont terminating at Omni and going to Nutgrove Avenue instead of Grange Road

17a - not serving Clonshaugh

18 - From Sandymount to Cherry Orchard Hospital

19/a - not serving Tolka Estate and terminating at Walkinstown Roundabout

20b - not serving terminus at Maryfield

25 - not serving Dodsboro, Lucan

25a - from City Centre to Penny Hill Pub Outer Ring Road

27 - not serving Coolock/Darndale

27b - not serving Castletimon and Clonshaugh

29a - not serving Raheny and St. Annes

31/b - to Howth Station only

32/b - not serving Abbey Park

37 - not serving Blackhorse Avenue

38 - not serving Mulhuddart, Ballycoolin and Castleknock using Castlecurragh Road

40/a - using Mellowes Road and Finglas Road and terminating at 17a terminus

40d - not serving Blanchardstown Corporate Business Park, terminating at shops on main road at Tyrellstown Estate.

42 - not serving Seabury

42b - via Malahide Road to Blunden Drive not serving Gracefield Road, Harmonstown Road and Tonglegee Road.

44 - from City Centre to Dundrum only

44b - to Blue Church in Kilternan only

45 - to Bray Station only

46a - from City Centre to Stillorgan only

47 - from Donnybrook to Belarmine Roundabout only

48a - from City Centre to Dundrum only

50 - from City Centre to Walkinsotwn Roundabout

51b/c - from City Centre to Red Cow only

53 - not serving East Wall staying on main roads

54a - to Balrothery via Wainsfort Road not using Fortfield Road

56/a - from City Centre to Walkinsotwn Roundabout

65 - to Spawell Roundabout only

65b - to Spawell Roundabout only

66/b - not serving Lucan

66a - not serving Lucan and Captains Hill, terminating at Louisa Bridge

67/a - not serving Lucan

68 - from City Centre to Red Cow only

69 - from City Centre to Red Cow only

70 - not serving Littlepace

75 - from Dun Laoghaire to Spawell Roundabout

76 - to Ballyfermot Church

77/a - from City Centre to Walkinsotwn Roundabout

78a - from City Centre to Cherry Orchard Hospital only

79/a - not serving Spiddal Park and Parkwest, terminating at Cherry Orchard Hospital
    83 - via Glasanaon Road, Griffith Avenue and Mobhi Road

84 - from City Centre to Bray Station only

102 - not serving Seabury and Forest Road

114 - from Kilcross to Blackrock Station

120 - using Fassaugh Avenue to 121 terminus

122 - using Quarry Road and terminating at Halfway House pub, Navan Road

123 - to and from Marino via Philipsburgh Avenue to Walkinstown Roundabout instead of Kilnamanagh Road

128- not serving Clongriffin, terminating at Donaghmede Roundabout

145 - to Bray Station only

140 - not serving Ikea, turning at Jamestown Roundabout

150 - to Walkinstown Roundabout

151 - to Walkinstown Roundabout only

185 - from Bray to Enniskerry Village only

220 - to ladyswell not serving Mulhuddart using Castlecurragh Road

238 - using Ballycoolin Road

270 - not serving Littlepace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

UPdated at 8.05; DUblin Bus not serving Clondalkin at all. 151 terminatesd at Walkintown roundabout (despite not goimg near it)

Dodge wrote: »
    UPdated at 8.05; DUblin Bus not serving Clondalkin at all. 151 terminatesd at Walkintown roundabout (despite not goimg near it)
    Do you want to do a 3 point turn in a bus on a main road?

Or even worse, go into housing estates to try turn around?

Tragedy wrote: »
    The 15 and 49 are both terminating at Spawell roundabout, instead of turning left on to templeogue bridge they continue straight up the N81 past cheeverstown until they hit the roundabout.

Tallaght without a service too.

Route 151 is operating normal routing from City Centre, left at Drimnagh Road (Halfway House), up Walkinstown Road to The Roundabout and return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Saaaalty Leave

"14/a - from City Centre to Dundrum only"

How is this a curtailment?

Its not operating the full routing around Dundrum I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Do you want to do a 3 point turn in a bus on a main road?

Or even worse, go into housing estates to try turn around?

Didn't mean to suggest they should serve Clondalkin. Was just querying whether it was correct or not.

Didn't mean to suggest they should serve Clondalkin. Was just querying whether it was correct or not.
    I wasn't having a go, just - buses need to terminate at roundabouts in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

"14/a - from City Centre to Dundrum only"

How is this a curtailment?

The 14/14a are not serving Ballinteer, but rather operating to/from Dundrum via the Churchtown Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

The 78A & 76 aren't going into Clondalkin today. And the 51B/C is only going from City Centre to Red Cow only. 151 is stopping at Walkinstown roundabout. The Gardai closed down most of the roads thru Clondalkin yesterday and I guess they must be still as bad as they were last night and they must not have reopened them (I work in Clondalkin and ended up having to walk home last night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

i live in Clondalkin but work in rathmines so cant get to work, red cow and walkinstown both to far for me to walk to, and dont have access to car.
    rang the job to explain and they not v understanding!!
    anyone else get grief for ringing into work coz you cant travel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

messrs wrote: »
    i live in Clondalkin but work in rathmines so cant get to work, red cow and walkinstown both to far for me to walk to, and dont have access to car.
    rang the job to explain and they not v understanding!!
    anyone else get grief for ringing into work coz you cant travel?

Can you take the day as annual leave? That's what I'm doing as I cant get in either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

tried to get the 27 and there's none running

i've already got a chest infection and am on antibiotics

won't be getting in

I feel really guilty as im the key holder to one of our shops :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

will they grit the roads again?
    or can they work if the roads aren't clear?
    oscar traynor Rd was bumper to bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Is the 84 not running through Greystones and South Bray then? It's just from City to Bray station and back again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

punchdrunk wrote: »

According to the website, the 27s were running this morning but not going into Coolock. I got a 27x from Malahide/Tonlagee at 8am this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i've already got a chest infection and am on antibiotics

won't be getting in

I feel really guilty as im the key holder to one of our shops :(

Dont be worrying as it'd hardly your fault.

My GF has been sick for the last 6 weeks with a chest condition, she's better now and returned to work yesterday and went in today and there's a lot of people missing!!

I'm on study leave atm but would have been working from home yesterday and today if i was working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Potentially bad news:
    Stocks of salt for gritting roads are at critical levels, down to less than one day’s supply, Dublin City Council has warned. A spokesman for the authority said supplies were being rationed but deliveries were expected tomorrow from Britain, Northern Ireland and Cork.

Only main roads will be treated, with the City Council warning that footpaths would not be treated as resources were not available. Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland , Dublin City Council chief engineer Michael Phillips said there would be no gritting of footpaths and secondary routes due to stock levels.

Mr Phillips said the Council had used two days supply of salt in the last 24 hours.

(c) Irish Times

Can you take the day as annual leave? That's what I'm doing as I cant get in either.

i hope i can, although the grief the gave me when i rang in this mrn, i dont know,
    anyone that doesnt show up today is been called up to HR for meeting 2mro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

messrs wrote: »

i hope i can, although the grief the gave me when i rang in this mrn, i dont know,
    anyone that doesnt show up today is been called up to HR for meeting 2mro

That's terrible. You have my full sympathy. I made it in today after trekking an hour through the ice covered footpaths and finally reaching a luas stop, but even my employers told me not to kill myself getting in and if I couldn't make it, I couldn't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

will they grit the roads again?
    or can they work if the roads aren't clear?
    oscar traynor Rd was bumper to bumper

Well it did'nt stop them from trying to work when the roads were not clear yesterday, and look where that got them.

Good ould DCC, asleep at the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Between this and the 'are you going to work today ' thread seems a lot of people are just using the weather as an excuse. I know some people in extreme circumstances(6-7 hours to get home last night) but the majority of people don't live such great distances and buses are back on today so i don't really see the big deal with coming in today. I knwo I'll get slated for this, but that's my opinion!

dearg lady wrote: »
    Between this and the 'are you going to work today ' thread seems a lot of people are just using the weather as an excuse. I know some people in extreme circumstances(6-7 hours to get home last night) but the majority of people don't live such great distances and buses are back on today so i don't really see the big deal with coming in today. I knwo I'll get slated for this, but that's my opinion!
    The whole of Tallaght is without any buses, and the Luas is only relevant for about 1/3rd to 1/2 of it. Clondalkin is worse, as is Firhouse and large parts of Knocklyon - no public transport at all.

The whole of Tallaght is without any buses, and the Luas is only relevant for about 1/3rd to 1/2 of it. Clondalkin is worse, as is Firhouse and large parts of Knocklyon - no public transport at all.

Some areas are worse than others but a lot of people could walk to a bus but just can't be bothered. Some specific areas and buses mentioned on here I know people could easily walk to. I have no idea about Tallaght, I'm on the other side of the city. I think it's hard on the genuine cases too, cos when some people take the p*ss, managers are more likely to get annoyed.

If I wanted to get a bus, it's a 45minute walk, all downhill(some of which is quite steep) to get a bus. Anyone in Firhouse, it's likely to be 90minutes, Clondalkin not sure, parts of Tallaght also being 45-60mins to a Luas. That's all of south west dublin with no bus services. Hardly a joke!

Point taken on malingerers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

What about everyone that struggles to work this morning if they are lucky enough to manage it and then Dublin Bus pull services again and maybe the luas and the trains/darts. How ar they going to get home.

Lots of people I know live long distances from work - its not just a matter of getting there but making it home as well. I don't want to spend the night in work.

For some people who live closer to work, walking is not an option as the paths are in a worse state than the road.

• Advertisement

musicfan wrote: »
    What about everyone that struggles to work this morning if they are lucky enough to manage it and then Dublin Bus pull services again and maybe the luas and the trains/darts. How ar they going to get home.

Lots of people I know live long distances from work - its not just a matter of getting there but making it home as well. I don't want to spend the night in work.

For some people who live closer to work, walking is not an option as the paths are in a worse state than the road.

there is no snow forecast for today so this is unlikely. As I said, I based this on specific examples people gave where I know they could easily pick up a bus.

That's terrible. You have my full sympathy. I made it in today after trekking an hour through the ice covered footpaths and finally reaching a luas stop, but even my employers told me not to kill myself getting in and if I couldn't make it, I couldn't make it.

any jobs going in your place?:D:D

my friend works in town and just told me her company closing at lunch time to allow ppl to get home at normal time, said they are doing it for safety but the will all get paid for the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I live in Newcastle (Nr Rathcoole) and our nearest service (currently) is from the Red Cow - 5 miles (if walk down N7 Hard shoulder) - last night had to get Luas to Tallaght and walk 6 miles home!

Still I do not blame DB - the roads out our way as impossible and, probably will get worse.

Off topic - in work today (had to drive to Red Cow) not fun and not planning on doing it again tommorrow - still have to get the car home again tonight - for anyone who knows the area, the hill beside the Avoca Store will be probably be dodgy...

Had to take time off as holiday tommorrow though - employer not too sympathetic (I work for a large Multinational)

not all busses, none serving clondalkin at all, closest coming out here is red cow r walkinstown and neither of these are realistic walking distance for me in normal weather, never mind the ice! trust me id rather be in work today, really not worth the hassle, but it does annoy me that some ppl will use it as excuse not to come in

lol, everyone trying to justify themselves now! I'm not suggesting that everyone's taking the p*ss, just a certain %, and I think it's unfair on others

• Advertisement
Advertisement