Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions Nth Co Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Anyone know how things are around the airport? My sister is collecting someone at around 6 this evening. Will check the AA site anyway.

Pretty ropey at the moment but still passable,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hairy but manageable. It hasn't stuck in Balbriggan, it's more worrying what is going to happen when it freezes again tonight. Right now there is an awful lot of slush on the roads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pretty ropey at the moment but still passable,

Thanks. Flight's been delayed by an hour so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Morphéus wrote: »
    have heard road conditions on motorways have deteriorated so bad that councils are gritting only ONE lane in either direction. Anyone know what the M1 northbound between city and balbriggan is like now?
    It was fairly slushy around 2pm but no major problems for driving on.

M106109.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Flights at Dublin airport have been suspended for 2 hours (RTE).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

it's stopped snowing at the airport now. fairly clear actually.

This is El_loco signing off from airport watch, now back to you in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

M1 was alright, just a matter of taking it easy. I'd be more concerned about it for the morning as any slush/snow/water will refreeze overnight. could be seriously iffy

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

what is the road like when you goin to Oldtown?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Knocksedan Rd. is terrible, avoid completely, it's an ice-skating rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Gritters out today at 3pm doing the 500km of N & R roads in Fingal. Obviously, the emphasis, after the motorways is the National roads.

They'll be out again at 5am but I suspect that after today's snow and hail at 3ish followed by a slight rise in temperatures followed by rush hour traffic compacted everything and made it very dangerous.

Still no plans to get into estates or all the secondary routes at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Gritters out today at 3pm doing the 500km of N & R roads in Fingal. Obviously, the emphasis, after the motorways is the National roads.

They'll be out again at 5am but I suspect that after today's snow and hail at 3ish followed by a slight rise in temperatures followed by rush hour traffic compacted everything and made it very dangerous.

Still no plans to get into estates or all the secondary routes at the moment.
    Are the council running low on grit, as reported to be the case with many local authorities in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

-6 at the Airport, -3 here in Malahide if not a little lower now. It's going to be treacherous on any road that's not treated or if there is a shower of any hail, sleet snow etc after treatment. Be very careful out there.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Are the council running low on grit, as reported to be the case with many local authorities in the media?

Grit isn't the problem. Salt is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Grit isn't the problem. Salt is.
    I meant material for gritting the roads, not the grit specifically.

How is the council doing for salt then Alan?

Jonathan wrote: »
    I meant material for gritting the roads, not the grit specifically.

How is the council doing for salt then Alan?

Yes, there is a national shortage or at least that's what we are being told.

The council have been gritting but its the salt content that matters. I understand that they are using a high grade today.

Anyone been on the M1 tonight? Just wondering what to expect in the morning

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Rathbeale Rd doesn't seem to be gritted, was very slushy but passable.
    Backroads at Knocksedan were backed up with a car stuck on the hill on the last stretch to the roundabout at parkview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

malahide rd and tonlegee road are a joke!
    traffic everywhere!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shakencat wrote: »
    malahide rd and tonlegee road are a joke!
    traffic everywhere!
    That's the problem with roads

Get rid of the traffic, get rid of the problem

sorry - couldn't resist that:)

didnt bother me.. i was walking =]
    :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

M1 was fine this morning up to the M50 exit. Once you get there it is still very compacted and icy (as of 8am this morning) Santry onwards is still very bad.

Having said that, just because the ice is not thick on the M1 does not mean it is safe for people to go back to 120km p/hr! a safe speed, and PLENTY of distance between the cars is still needed, not that many people seem to be heeding this!
    Especially not the idiot who was ont he hard shoulder this morning, and then just pulled out in front of me - no building up speed on hard shoulder and waiting for a safe exit for him, oh no. Out he pops, dead slow about 50 yards in front of me - thank god I was taking it so handy, or I would have well ploughed into him. IDIOT!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Tried to use exit out of applewood villiage, (lower exit not jackie skellies end) and its terrible, every car trying to exit is skidding. Cars end up going on enterance side to exit. A car on the roundabout after you exit a car did a 360 whilst I was turning around to come back home.
    The main st and most of the village is impassable due to ice. All the slush is frozen even footpaths are dangerous.

Looks like council will be continuing with high salt content grit for the next couple of days which seems to have worked on main routes this morning.

Still shortage of salt so we can't continue that for too long.

Also, from Council Water Services Department.

The water supply in Fingal County Council’s principal water reservoir at Ballycoolen is at a critically low level due to the increased demand on the water supply network during this extended cold spell of weather.

If the water supply in the reservoir remains at its current low level the Council will have to consider throttling the water supply (reducing pressure) until the water supply level returns to normal.

In order to avoid this, Fingal County Council is appealing to water consumers to conserve water and not to leave taps running during this current cold spell. We are also appealing to consumers in the farming community not to leave water running continually at water troughs, as this will waste water.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Elliee wrote: »
    Tried to use exit out of applewood villiage, (lower exit not jackie skellies end) and its terrible, every car trying to exit is skidding. Cars end up going on enterance side to exit. A car on the roundabout after you exit a car did a 360 whilst I was turning around to come back home.
    The main st and most of the village is impassable due to ice. All the slush is frozen even footpaths are dangerous.

I tried to get up the incline on the road beside Dora's takeaway this morning and couldnt get the car up. No grip once I got about half the way up.
    Reversed the car till I could turn around and dropped car back home, too dangerous to be driving in that, temp @ -5 on the screen at 7.30 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In order to avoid this, Fingal County Council is appealing to water consumers to conserve water and not to leave taps running during this current cold spell. We are also appealing to consumers in the farming community not to leave water running continually at water troughs, as this will waste water.
    Do the Council not liase with the Insurance Companies, some of whom have adverts in the national papers requesting that people leave taps running to avoid frozen pipes! :rolleyes:

Do the Council not liase with the Insurance Companies, some of whom have adverts in the national papers requesting that people leave taps running to avoid frozen pipes! :rolleyes:

Insurance firms are protecting their profits, not the environment or our water supply.

In fact, I think their ads are counter productive and don't highlight the obvious that insulating pipes would be the best thing to do.

i've just come from M50 up M1 as far as Donabate.

Exit off the M50 was quite slow. There is a lot fo slowing moving traffic on the M1 Northbound, thins out a bit when you get to the Swords exit but still slow moving.

Doesn't appear to be that icy, close to the central median and the hard shoulder there is a bit of slushy stuff alright though. Once you take it at a reasonable pace, leaving plenty of distance you'll be fine. Fog is setting in properly though. Very cold along the road, car was reading -3/-4 the whole way up.

Hope traffic wont be too bad this evening =[

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

shakencat wrote: »
    Hope traffic wont be too bad this evening =[

Safe trip home, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Elliee wrote: »
    Safe trip home, let us know how you get on.

im off work at half six.

have to get to the gym by 7.15..

usually takes.. 20 mins.. tops..(i go backroads)

but in this weather.. and then the odd bit of traffic..

il prob not make it =[

Advertisement