Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions Nth Co Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Exit off the M50 was quite slow. There is a lot fo slowing moving traffic on the M1 Northbound, thins out a bit when you get to the Swords exit but still slow moving.
    Just drove it, J2 to J4, averaged 90kph.

Thats around the same as in normal conditions.

Lots of idiot driving with fog lights on when visibility is > 100m. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

yeah they were at that craic earlier on too. Really no need tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Bluetonic wrote: »

Your doing 90kph in the current weather conditions while been close enough to the driver in front to be annoyed about fog lights and you call them idiots.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Your doing 90kph in the current weather conditions while been close enough to the driver in front to be annoyed about fog lights and you call them idiots.
    It's perfectly safe to do 90kph on a motorway that has been fully treated, which the M1 was, if traffic allowed I would have driven faster.

How do you know what distance I was keeping from the car in front? I also never said I was annoyed by it. It was merely an observation. Very little annoys me, even unnecessary posts from others.

Be careful what your insinuating.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Anyone have any idea what it's like from the M1 Swords, over to Malahide? Trying to weigh up whether it's worth the journey...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

It's perfectly safe to do 90kph on a motorway that has been fully treated, which the M1 was, if traffic allowed I would have driven faster.

How do you know what distance I was keeping from the car in front? I also never said I was annoyed by it. It was merely an observation. Very little annoys me, even unnecessary posts from others.

Be careful what your insinuating.

That being said, AA Roadwatch say Gardai have reduced speed limit at that location to 80k all the way to Balbriggan.

That being said, AA Roadwatch say Gardai have reduced speed limit at that location to 80k all the way to Balbriggan.
    Understandable given the conditions which are now there, which weren't there when I drove it at 16:00.

I also didn't realise that speed limits can be reduced on the fly by the Gardai. How do they go about policing that? (serious comment).

Understandable given the conditions which are now there, which weren't there when I drove it at 16:00.

I also didn't realise that speed limits can be reduced on the fly by the Gardai. How do they go about policing that? (serious comment).

Absolutely, wasn't making any claims!

They can roll out signs as far as I know. It is on the AA Roadwatch site which I looked at after my council meeting this evening. I think it said the Gardaí were "advising". Normal speed limits are set by yours truly (and colleagues of course).

Normal speed limits are set by yours truly (and colleagues of course).
    Just as well you put in the "and colleagues" or you'd be opening yourself for dogs abuse in the future!

Just as well you put in the "and colleagues" or you'd be opening yourself for dogs abuse in the future!

No thanks, I'll pass on that label!!!

Some speed limits are statutory so our hands are tied, such as ridiculous 60k limit on Pinock Hill (Airside to Airport) among others I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It would be just an advisable speed limit like traffic management supervisors can implement im guessing??

These normally have to be in dominations for 5kph, like 65kph rather than 60kph. And have to be the square white signs, as opposed to the red circles on a white background. Need a managers order otherwise i thought, so they could enforce the 80kph.

Davy wrote: »
    It would be just an advisable speed limit like traffic management supervisors can implement im guessing??

These normally have to be in dominations for 5kph, like 65kph rather than 60kph. And have to be the square white signs, as opposed to the red circles on a white background. Need a managers order otherwise i thought, so they could enforce the 80kph.

That's right. Impressed, you know your road traffic acts!

The temp limit is always in 5's but the Gardaí do have discretionary powers in certain conditions where 50, 60, etc is allowed and enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

That's right. Impressed, you know your road traffic acts!

The temp limit is always in 5's but the Gardaí do have discretionary powers in certain conditions where 50, 60, etc is allowed and enforceable.

never knew that tho, guess it doesn't happen that often

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Spoke to a few people who drove this today and they said it was fine. Roads around Rush were fairly ok. From what I can see Fingal so far have done a reasonable job.

What is annoying and frightening tho is the amount of speeding still going on, The Main Street in Rush is not quite the M1 and from the Skerries Rd Corner down was bad this morning Yet cars were speeding up from the Harbour and could not stop when lights went Red. One car slid thro the Junction.
    I am on the road from 5.30-40am and how we dont have more accidents is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    He may have been referring to the front fog lights of oncomimg traffic, or traffic following him. It's illegal to drive with any foglights on except in heavy fog but many people choose to ignore this rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its snowing again around the airport so thats going to make it even worse, be carefull lads/ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Its snowing again around the airport so thats going to make it even worse, be carefull lads/ladies

ive to drive through there to get to work.

no work - no pay =[

so i cant even use the excuse that alot are..
    of the weather being too bad :mad:

shakencat wrote: »
    ive to drive through there to get to work.

no work - no pay =[

so i cant even use the excuse that alot are..
    of the weather being too bad :mad:
    You're no different from everyone else. Those who can't make it are usually deducted pay or convert the time into their annual leave.

You're no different from everyone else. Those who can't make it are usually deducted pay or convert the time into their annual leave.

I know..

not to forget the moans from others due to you not being able to make it.

I was 15 minutes late yesterday.
    Got spoken to about it, was told i should have left earlier.
    I had left an hour in advance. when it usually takes 25 minutes to get to work!!

You can't fight it though.
    Ridiculous management.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He may have been referring to the front fog lights of oncomimg traffic, or traffic following him. It's illegal to drive with any foglights on except in heavy fog but many people choose to ignore this rule.
    You are allowed to use foglights in heavy snow also

I have noticed a lot more people (illegally) driving with their foglights on in the current weather (yes, I know, there are plenty out there that keep them on all the time - I really cannot understand what they think they are achieving - it does no-one any favours) - only stick them on when it's foggy, or there is heavy snow (which means it is snowing, not that there is just some snow on the ground!)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No more snow forecast for Dublin today - hopefully this morning's "flurry" will have cleared by the evening rush-hour

Glorious sunshine at present, but temperatures are not forecast to get above freezing, so the ice threat remains

Beasty wrote: »
    You are allowed to use foglights in heavy snow also......... ....... there is heavy snow (which means it is snowing, not that there is just some snow on the ground!)
    "falling snow" is the term used. ;)

i didnt find the roads too bad today goin to work..
    towards swords..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

is there anyone who went on R125 secondary road (ashbourne to Swords)? if so what is it like?

Advertisement