Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Memory On Dell Desktop

Options
  • 01-01-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Bro in law ordered more memory for fathers desktop pc: PC about a year old. I took of cover and took out old memory card,only the one,and replaced it with new memory x 2.Plugged everything back in turned it on and it started bleeping but nothing appeared on monitor? Thought that it was rejecting the new memory but on harddrive beeping stopped green light came on but nothing on monitor? I put back in the original memory and the exact same thing happened? I am no pc guru but I thought it would not be rocket science to replace this? What's getting me is that nothing is coming up on monitor either with new or old memory?

Any tips or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

How many beeps are you getting from the motherboard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Plugged it in and there where 6 bleeps. 1st been the longest then shorter. Any reason as to why nothing kicks in on monitor? Not even a flicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What is the service tag of the dell, that will tell us the type of RAM you should have then you can look at the RAM that was ordered for the machine, does it work if you re-install the old RAM?

MC

What is the service tag of the dell, that will tell us the type of RAM you should have then you can look at the RAM that was ordered for the machine, does it work if you re-install the old RAM?

MC
    Have to check on ram.The problem is that when I put in old ram its the same problem and not a kick on the monitor? That's what I cannot understand? Checked all wires everything plugged in etc all in order so can't figure out why nothing comes on monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you another machine to double check it on? The monitor that is.

Are you sure the RAM is seated correctly? It should click in to place with little resistance.

MC

• Advertisement

have monitor on my own pc so may check that. Was putting in card and it slotted in ok and levers at side clicked into place. Then i tried turning them around and they did not fit in so easily so did not force them so thought the way I had them in first was correct. Have to try later as don't want to bring it to a computer doctor and its something simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Right,its something relativly simple I'd say,your manual for the PC will tell you what the code is

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Right,its something relativly simple I'd say,your manual for the PC will tell you what the code is
    When you say code what exactly do you mean? Is it the code on the memory ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

When you say code what exactly do you mean? Is it the code on the memory ram?

the code for the bios beeps. Different pattern of beeps mean different things.

Dell website/manual should be able to tell you what fault the bios beeps mean.

ok will see if he has manual.Worse case scenario could be? If it is a bios problem could/can this be fixed or is pc wasted? In simple terms what is bios? )ust browsed dell forum and could not see anything may register and post there?

• Advertisement

The Service tag is D4ZS32J and its a Dimension 1100. After looking at the Dell website it seems that for the 6 beeps I have to contact their technical support. I have not dealt with Dell in a while but is their technical support someone reading from a list of problems and they cannot see beyond this:o

Dell Support not open on the weekend :eek:Ok had to drop it into the computerdoctor and waiting for an evaluation:rolleyes:. It looks like the father may have disrupted something when inserting the new memory and did not get the static out of his hand and done something to the mobo

just been informed that the Mobo is gone

Is it worth replacing ? Thinking not and maybe Father needs a new PC looking at the Aldi one below looks decent

Core 2 Quad @ 2.5GHz Q8300 1333MHz, 4MB Cache
    4gig RAM (2X2)
    1TB hard disk
    Windows 7
    2 hot swap SATA hard disc drive bays
    NVIDA DirectX 10, 512MB graphics
    DVD burner
    HDMI, Card reader, USB X 6, LAN, 7.1 sound. Giga LAN
    Keyboard/Mouse
    3 year warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just been informed that the Mobo is gone

Is it worth replacing ? Thinking not and maybe Father needs a new PC looking at the Aldi one below looks decent

Core 2 Quad @ 2.5GHz Q8300 1333MHz, 4MB Cache
    4gig RAM (2X2)
    1TB hard disk
    Windows 7
    2 hot swap SATA hard disc drive bays
    NVIDA DirectX 10, 512MB graphics
    DVD burner
    HDMI, Card reader, USB X 6, LAN, 7.1 sound. Giga LAN
    Keyboard/Mouse
    3 year warranty

did you try the motherboard with the one stick of the old ram?

Yes tried all options :(

PC Doctor said that if memory inserted incorrectly that it can blow the mobo. Thinking of getting a Enclosure and take the HD out so he can access his files

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

PC Doctor said that if memory inserted incorrectly that it can blow the mobo. Thinking of getting a Enclosure and take the HD out so he can access his files

Blow?
    It does sound as if either all the sticks of ram got esd'd or just the motherboard. Very unfortunate, doesn't happen very often

Anywho don't bother getting an enclosure you can just stick the hard-drive into any other pc. Ground your self first this time though!

Maybe blow is not the word

Will get an eclosure as its just less space and he does not want crap around house

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

As far as I can see the bios is a phoenix bios on those, note the duration and any pauses between the beeps and check the 'Phoenix BIOS ERROR BEEP CODES' section here http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would putting the old ram back in and resetting the bios be worth trying?
    Are you sure the RAM is seated correctly? It should click in to place with little resistance.
    I don't know about that, the ram was very tight on my board, I was afraid the board would crack it took so much force to get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

ScumLord wrote: »
    Would putting the old ram back in and resetting the bios be worth trying?

I don't know about that, the ram was very tight on my board, I was afraid the board would crack it took so much force to get them in.
    Mines a bitch to put in, I'de to nearly put me full weight on it to the the sticks in, went in with a satisfying clunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yarnhall wrote: »
    Mines a bitch to put in, I'de to nearly put me full weight on it to the the sticks in, went in with a satisfying clunk.
    Followed by crying while you waited to see if it still worked. :D

Advertisement