Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI Sapphire 3650 AGP question

Options
  • 01-01-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey boardsies i just have a couple of questions question about the ATI Sapphire 3650 AGP. 1. Will it work in a Dell Dimension 4600 with Pentium 4 2.66Ghz? Does it matter if its DDR3 memory? And also if I can't use this card in my PC how can i get PCI-E expansion slots in my PC so I can use another Graphics Card?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

It will work if you have an AGP slot on your motherbaord (its brown,usually just below the CPU socket)

However you may need to upgrade your PSU (Power Supply Unit)

I presume you are talking about the graphics crads memory here,and not your system memory,but either way,it doesn't matter if its DDR3.

To get a PCIE slot,you would need to buy a new motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Ok but just in case the one im looking at inst good enough are there any other good cards that are capable of running Flight Simulator X and World of Warcraft at good framerates that use either AGP or PCI(not PCI-E)

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Ok but just in case the one im looking at inst good enough are there any other good cards that are capable of running Flight Simulator X and World of Warcraft at good framerates that use either AGP or PCI(not PCI-E)

AGP is an outdated standard now,so I wouldn't bother putting money into a old machine.

FSX needs quite a powerful CPU and WoW is a horribly coded game,so your chances of getting good performance out of either is nil

I hate to be ''that'' guy,but your system just wont be powerful enough

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is a sapphire radeon 3850 which would be more powerfull than a 3650

There is a sapphire radeon 3850 which would be more powerfull than a 3650

I belive the range of ATi AGP cards goes right up to the 4650

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I belive the range of ATi AGP cards goes right up to the 4650
    The 3850 is the last top end AGP card relaesed, in most cases it will outperform the 4650 - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4650_OC/8.html

I used to have a 3850 in my media centre, only a 256Mb version however it used to get an insane 50% overclock on core and memory lol and with that was equal in performance to my 8800GT 512Mb except without AA( not enough vram ).

Id suggest the OP looks for a second hand 3850, they should be fairly cheap, i sold mine last year( PCIE version ) for around 45euro, agp should be ~60euro second hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The 3850 is the last top end AGP card relaesed, in most cases it will outperform the 4650 - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4650_OC/8.html

I used to have a 3850 in my media centre, only a 256Mb version however it used to get an insane 50% overclock on core and memory lol and with that was equal in performance to my 8800GT 512Mb except without AA( not enough vram ).

Id suggest the OP looks for a second hand 3850, they should be fairly cheap, i sold mine last year( PCIE version ) for around 45euro, agp should be ~60euro second hand.

no. if he gets a 3850 he'll have to upgrade the power supply. the 3650 AGP is fine. it'll run most games on low/medium without the need for a PSU upgrade. I got one in an older machine with a 300w PSU and it runs fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

no. if he gets a 3850 he'll have to upgrade the power supply. the 3650 AGP is fine. it'll run most games on low/medium without the need for a PSU upgrade. I got one in an older machine with a 300w PSU and it runs fine.
    ran a PCIE 3850 50% overclocked in a 350W PSU and it was fine.

Advertisement