Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Yellow Lines

Options
  • 01-01-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I live in a housing estate with yellow lines on every corner.

The estate is already chock a block because nobody seems to want to use their driveway.
    Anyway, as a result, alot of people park on the yellow lines, which is pretty dangerous in this weather.

Anyway, there are no clamper signs in the estate so what can be done about this? Who do I report it to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The estate is already chock a block because nobody seems to want to use their driveway.
    Anyway, as a result, alot of people park on the yellow lines, which is pretty dangerous in this weather.

Anyway, there are no clamper signs in the estate so what can be done about this? Who do I report it to?

Your local authority or council should be contacted, they should send a traffic warden to deal with it, however, if it's causing a danger the gardai should be notifed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

The Gardai would be the best source to sort this out, especially if there is imminent danger to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

3 simple steps.

1. dial 602-2500

2. press 2 when it answers and give details

3. repeat ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Ring the local Garda Station. If these people get on the spot fines a few times they will amend their behaviour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 broxes

I am sorry for having a rant here , but up to last june there were no double yellow lines outside my house and with no where else to park ( especially as i have 2 small kids) , I availed of this parking space and all of a sudden some business man up the road decided that he could not get his new mini bus up the road when my car is there , complained to the council and lo and behold double yellow lines have appeared . I have complained to the council but with no luck , so i have remained parking there . So in answer to your question , you contact the council , but as it is so cold and most people cannot get out of their driveways , dont be suprised if the reaction from your neighbours is bad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

broxes wrote: »
    I am sorry for having a rant here , but up to last june there were no double yellow lines outside my house and with no where else to park ( especially as i have 2 small kids) , I availed of this parking space and all of a sudden some business man up the road decided that he could not get his new mini bus up the road when my car is there , complained to the council and lo and behold double yellow lines have appeared . I have complained to the council but with no luck , so i have remained parking there . So in answer to your question , you contact the council , but as it is so cold and most people cannot get out of their driveways , dont be suprised if the reaction from your neighbours is bad .

I have to say that that sounds like a very selfish attitude to me. If your neighbour cannot get a minibus up your street because your car is there what would happen in the event of an emergency?

How would a firetruck or an ambulance get past? Even on a more mundane note is it fair to make life difficult for truck drivers / bin lorries who have to access your road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Bronxes, can you not park with your car straddling the pavement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Bronxes, can you not park with your car straddling the pavement?

If by straddling the pavement you mean parking on the pavement then that might be causing an obstruction for prams, wheelchair users and visually impaired people, among others.

Also it's illegal, see section (i)

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;

( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—

(i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];

(ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or

(iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;

( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 [bus stop] or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Broxes regardless of whether there are double yellows there or not if traffic can't pass safely then you are committing an offence of obstruction. The clampers or the Gardai can tow you for that aswell as giving a fine. If the Fire Brigade needed to go through they are in emergency circumstances within their rights to ram you out of the way! The double yellows just remind you of what you were supposed to be doing anyway, avoiding parking in a place which causes obstruction. This is not meant as criticism of you by the way I hope you take it in the spirit intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have to say that that sounds like a very selfish attitude to me. If your neighbour cannot get a minibus up your street because your car is there what would happen in the event of an emergency?

How would a firetruck or an ambulance get past? Even on a more mundane note is it fair to make life difficult for truck drivers / bin lorries who have to access your road ?

If some of my neighbours are anything to go by, any concern about blocking service and emergency vehicle access falls a distant second to ensuring that you don't have to -shock horror - walk an additional few yards to find a parking space that might not be outside your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

there are many estates that are not managed by Dublin City Council. It would be best to clarify with the City Council whether your estate is actually under their management before asking the Gardai or DCC parking enforcement (aka the clampers) to enforce

Advertisement