Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air in Radiator

• 01-01-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Having a problem with a single rad in our house. It's does not heat up and seems to constantly need to be bled. The rad is in the box room at the front of the house and is one of the furthest rads from the boiler.

Once the rad is bled, it works fine for a few days but then does not heat up and needs to be bled again. I should also mention that the water is fairly clear when the rad is bled, which I'm pretty sure is a bad sign. I've bled all the rads in the house. The one on the box room seems to be where all of the air ends up.

I assume air is getting into the system somewhere, but where is it likely to be coming from?

What more can I do before I call a plumber? Basically I'm looking for some pointers as to what the root cause might be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Heating system, full with water, properly vented shouldn't require constant vent of any rads. You should only have to vent rads annually, not weekly or monthly.

Might be a case where, while venting, your taking water away from another part of heating system, then when boiler on, air travels back to rad. When venting heating must be connected to a supply to top up system with water, replacing the air.

Make sure you have cold supply to heating open, and that supply has water.

If you've got the above open, providing a supply of water to replace air but rad still needs venting, then you could have water escaping somewhere. Depends on your system, if its a sealed system (expansion vessel) then you have a leak, if system is vented, open to atmosphere, it could be drawing in air.

Might be time to call in a plumber to check out system, fill, vent, balance and go from there.

Forgot to mention, if you have a newly built house, gas boiler, two story etc, have a look at outside wall where boiler flue comes out, you should see a copper pipe coming out wall from boiler, could have some weeps there, if so, boiler safety requires replacing.

Advertisement