Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather At Dublin Airport

Options
  • 01-01-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Im out of the country and I should be flying back into Dublin Airport tonight at 2230. Whats the chances I´ll get in at all. Im reading conflicting reports on the web about the weather improving or disimproving by tonight. Is there more snow coming or will the airport be able to operate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Not too much more forecast for today, it's mainly tomorrow so you should be fine. Although, having said that, there were ridiculous delays there this morning which DAA blamed on the weather. Funny thing is though, the snow stopped before midnight last night and hasn't fallen since, so why there were delays, I'll never know. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

neil2304 wrote: »
    Not too much more forecast for today, it's mainly tomorrow so you should be fine. Although, having said that, there were ridiculous delays there this morning which DAA blamed on the weather. Funny thing is though, the snow stopped before midnight last night and hasn't fallen since, so why there were delays, I'll never know. :rolleyes:

I was talking to ladsin the pub last night that work up there and they saw the snow as a good excuse to go in a few hours late today. Typical Irish semi state attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/latest-news/181209_christmastips.html
    Severe Weather Disrupts Flight Schedule at Dublin Airport

Severe weather conditions have disrupted the flight schedule at Dublin Airport this morning with the cancellation and diversion of a number of flights.

Following heavy snow which closed the airport for a period this morning, Dublin Airport re-opened for operations at 10.30am. Intending passengers are advised to check their airline website or contact their airline directly for the latest information regarding their particular flight before setting out for the airport today.

Many flights delayed, some cancelled http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals.asp
    http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures1.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't get it either. No snow has fallen all day. Ok its been cold, but they should have been able to keep the runways clear, I dunno about the Ice. Was out there in the afternoon and it was clear. Departures was packed with long queues for the desks.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It could be to do with disruption and delays in other countries with the knock-on effect then to Dublin. I had it a couple of weeks ago flying from Birmingham, the flight was delayed 2 hours and when we finally got on the plane the pilot said it was due to weather in other cities that had delayed flights in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Felixdhc wrote: »
    It could be to do with disruption and delays in other countries with the knock-on effect then to Dublin. I had it a couple of weeks ago flying from Birmingham, the flight was delayed 2 hours and when we finally got on the plane the pilot said it was due to weather in other cities that had delayed flights in general.

There are no European-wide delays reported today. It's just the DAA's inefficiency to deal with a dusting of snow.

There are no European-wide delays reported today. It's just the DAA's inefficiency to deal with a dusting of snow.

Could well have been the case on my last flight too but a good excuse from the airline for the 2 hour delay!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Apparently some of the planes required defrosting. Friends who were supposed to be flying at 10.45 finally made it out at 15.15.

The more time I spend in Dublin Airport, the more contempt I have for the DAA.

I must say I rarely have an issue with Dublin airport or Aer Lingus who I fly with 3-4 times per month on average - I'd say in the last 12 months I have had at most 5 delays which were mainly weather related. In saying that, I do get later morning flights now which tend to run smoother than the early morning options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

The delays were due to a lack of friction some planes suffered on the taxiways.
    They had to do friction tests for a while to make sure all was safe.
    If you remember a few weeks ago a ryanair plane skidded off the taxiway in Scotland.
    If they didnt do it and something happened a plane they would be blamed so its a lose/lose scenario for the DAA.

Believe me i'm no big fan of the DAA
    You can see if flights are moving at Dubln here on the live Google earth link here http://ei7dar.com/aircraft.html
    and below that there are links to the ATC radio so you can listen for any news on delays etc. ;)

Mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

EIDW 011900Z 27010KT 9999 FEW025 SCT200 M02/M03 Q1012 NOSIG 10110095

At the minute, the 95 at the end signifies braking action good, so shouldnt be any major problems. Keep an eye on the METAR reports here:

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/ireland.php?icao=EIDW

And to decode the braking action numbering line:

http://www.flyingineurope.be/MetarRunway.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

According to http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EIDW.html there were more snow showers in the early hours of the morning although the amount extra that seemed to fall based on what I have here seems very little so I don't know how that would cause such delays for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Runway 28 and taxiways have been sprayed and are now damp. No ice remaining on the runway, braking action good.

SNOWTAM
    A) EIDW B) 01012005
    C) 10 F) 1/1/1 G) XX/XX/XX H) 90/83/77 SKH
    T) RWY 10/28 HAS BEEN SPRAYED
    ASSOCIATED TWYS HAVE BEEN SPRAYED AND ARE PRESENTLY DAMP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

correct me if I am wrong but wasn't todays snowfall flagged in advance ???

Its interesting people should mention DAA's inability to deal with the weather conditions

Dublin Airport was in a near state of Chaos today.

only a handful of flights made it out.

I needed to get out to heathrow to make a connecting flight for my honeymoon.

the UK got more snow than we did yet it was the Dublin flights that got cancelled and hamstrung my whole itinerary!:mad:

Now don't talk to me about getting home from the airport...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have a friend arriving from Malta tomorrow at 3pm... how are the inbound flights doing??

Gollem, my sympathies, its retarded we cant deal with this snow competently when we know in advance... a few of the Polish guys in the office were completely bemused when they heard people weren't going to work all over the city... they said if it was 6 foot in Poland it wouldnt have caused as much chaos as 6 inches here....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

correct me if I am wrong but wasn't todays snowfall flagged in advance ???

Its interesting people should mention DAA's inability to deal with the weather conditions

Dublin Airport was in a near state of Chaos today.

only a handful of flights made it out.

I needed to get out to heathrow to make a connecting flight for my honeymoon.

the UK got more snow than we did yet it was the Dublin flights that got cancelled and hamstrung my whole itinerary!:mad:

Now don't talk to me about getting home from the airport...

Oh no. You poor thing. Im sure you will look back and laugh telling the grandchildren in years to come!!!

Both Belfast airports were closed also.

Its a H&S thing, if the friction tests fail they have to keep on de icing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

DaV - I'd just keep checking the Dublin Airport website, currently there's no delays on the Malta flight but a bunch from this morning have been delayed and cancelled.

Took us 6 hours yesterday to do a road trip from SouthDublin to the Airport and back, sister was meant to fly out at 7am to Rome, cancelled, one of the very few that were cancelled early this morning.
    Looking at inbound from Rome, one seems ok and the one after is cancelled already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Delays wont show on the DAA site until a couple of hours before. Looking out at the runway now it seems they only have one person de icing the planes. Could be more but cant see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Due to fly in tomorrow night (Friday) and land at approx 11.30pm. Does anyone have any forecasts for snowfall around that time?

• Advertisement

Should be ok , I think Sunday is the next expected snowfall for the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've to fly to Birmingham tomorrow, flight leaves at 6.30 n comes back at 3.30... Hope there's no delays or cancellations... Need to get over there for a meeting, its taken 3 months to get an appointment with the guy i'm meeting, if I miss it I can't meet him again till September...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Hope my 7.15 flight on sunday morning gets out before any major snow hits!

It looks like heavy snow for Sunday night /Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

How much snow is forecast for saturday and Sunday? I've to fly to Boston at 2pm on sunday! Do you reckon it'll be enough to close the airport?

I heading away on Saturday myself

Here is the latest forecast from the MET for Sunday

Saturday night will see little change in wind or shower distribution, with further snow showers at times on eastern coasts. Another very cold night with widespread severe or very severe ground frost, ice and some freezing fog patches too. The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds.

In my opinion if the east coast/Airport gets hit with this , the airport will close.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

Hi,

Im flying out to paris with ryanair at 6:35 in the morning how do i know in advance if this flight is on time?? or is it too early at this stage to know??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Im due to fly out Monday morning around 6AM . . . don't think its looking too good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Due to fly in tomorrow night (Friday) and land at approx 11.30pm. Does anyone have any forecasts for snowfall around that time?

Got in at 1 am. Christ its a bit cold when you back in from 24 C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Caza

husband due to come in on monday afternoon from italy any idea whether he will make it

Advertisement