Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reagenz - Playtime

Options
  • 01-01-2010 3:05pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

I got a 'copy' of the new album by Reagenz today online as I couldn't wait any longer for the actual release. It was available briefly on boomkat but I missed it and since then it's showing as out of stock, as are all other online retailers. Seriously annoying, I need this!

Anyway, frustration got the better of me and google found a download link - I must stress here that I don't believe in downloading like this, I just can't wait any longer to hear the album! - And just to stress also, each to there own and all that for those that do download copies, I just prefer the actual release and to support the artist...

I have played it twice in a row this morning, it is that good. Not that I would expect any less with two of my absolute favourite producers - David Moufang (Move D) & Jonah Sharp (Spacetime Continuum). Their first release together was just called 'Reagenz' and is now relatively rare and somewhat unknown classic...

http://www.discogs.com/Reagenz-Reagenz/master/15530

Some tracks from the new album...

Freerotation

Shibuya Day

Confidence

*MOVE D AND JONAH SHARP RECORDING TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS - THIS TIME FOR THE WORKSHOP LABEL!* Famously, Reagenz was one of Dave Moufang's very first projects, hooking up with San Franciscan Jonah Sharp for an album of definitive early 90's house and techno meets electronica that's gone down as a true classic of the era. As the legend goes, the pair met at an Autechre show in SF around '94, and coincidentally met again at another Ae show in Tokyo in 2008. While in Tokyo they spent a fruitful session in the studio of a Japanese analog synth collector, resulting in the beautiful CD you see before you. 'Playtime' collects six tracks from the 2 x new 12"s with an additional bonus track, 'Du Bist Hier!'. In fine tradition, 'Dinner With Q' digs deep into the same vibe of long, upbuilding house tracks layered with jazzy inflected electronics and the sort of laidback charm that guarantees a room full of smiles at Move D DJ gigs. A DJ friendly mix adds a more prominent Damier/Trent styled backbone primed for more insistent club play, and the heartwarming ambient trip 'Shibuya Day' makes us feel like it's 1994 all over again in the nicest sense possible. Black Jazz Consortium's Fred P is invited into the fold on 'Keep Building', contributing purring vocals over a deeply involving house groove, while 'Confidence' opts for a more German brand of schaeffel-y rhythm construction while Convextion alike synthline elevations provide the kosmiche release. Finally, 'Freerotation' pays tribute to the famed festival gathering with a feeling shared lovliness that's all too rare on todays dancefloors with a 27 minute experimental trip, sounding like something from Ae's 'Amber' dreamt 15 years into the future. It's been a vintage year for Move D productions, but for us this is the cream of the crop. KILLER!!!
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=242406

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

well now this is splendid stuff indeed and something I'll snag shortly.

... know how you feel about downloads and stuff, I was the same with the new Sgpongle album, even though I was going to get a copy at the launch I could not wait once it leaked so downloaded a temp copy until the real one was in my hands.

Many thanks again/as usual for the new music introduction

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yes highly recommended! As is anything by either Move D or Jonah Sharp...

Still haven't got the Shpongle album, wonder would HMV Grafton St have it, have 50 quid of Chrimbo HMV vouchers seriously burning a hole!!!

Did you hear the new Monolake album yet? Excellent stuff too.

yep have heard the new Monolake, enjoyable stuff for sure. Interesting experiment in working without compression. I'd love to see lots more of that especially in the area of electronic music as it should be a natural way to work.
    O yea, you've gotta get hold of the new Shpongle. A few listens and you'll be in love with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Didn't want to start a new thread -

Some old vids here from Source Records Germany - inc Move D., Spacetime Continuum, Reagenz uploaded only 4 days ago....

http://vimeo.com/user3095003/videos

Excellent stuff, cheers.

Stumbled across David Moufangs youtube page a while back - a few other videos there too from Source etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/videomove

• Advertisement

funny, was only yesterday listening to Deep Space Network Meets Higher Intelligence Agency as my 'out shopping' music on phones

and in a further coincidence, I happened upon the Master Margherita blog/podcast this morning and see that David Moufang has worked with Pete Namlook. I did not know that but do now :)

old gregg wrote: »
    and in a further coincidence, I happened upon the Master Margherita blog/podcast this morning and see that David Moufang has worked with Pete Namlook. I did not know that but do now :)

They certainly have worked together - a lot!

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Move+D+%2F+Namlook

Some great albums together, all pretty expensive though being on Fax and limited editions.

Advertisement