Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Forwards

• 01-01-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Last poll guys. Who'll provide the firepower for the team of the year?

Your CF pairing? 322 votes

Adebayor
    0%
    Van Persie
    0%
    Carew
    6%
    PalefaceSamuraiefb_blank_Kinetic^Fuzzy_DunlopOPENROADGO'SleninbenjaminFearDarkFrisbeecarlopSútalúnL'profbeertonsDeeper Bluetitan18MrKingsleyeoin99danlen 22 votes
    Agbonlahor
    0%
    Anelka
    0%
    GO'SPodge2k7OpenYourEyes 3 votes
    Drogba
    5%
    SeanehfranmanKingdomleninbenjaminPeyton ManningCarcharodonFrisbeeBubs101NaiveMelodiesGonzovisionCHDPanthroSlickRicDiabhal BeagdaithijjjUpTheSlashersgreendom 17 votes
    Saha
    29%
    RasTaTelgerePHBspanner_headThanx 4 The FishBounty HunterPalefaceSeanehHelixChucky the treeKoldjesus_thats_greT-b0n3IagoInstant KarmaUnearthlyHeadshotmayordenisHolstencaffrey 96 votes
    Torres
    0%
    Bellamy
    24%
    spanner_headThanx 4 The FishBounty HunterTuskyHelixChucky the treejesus_thats_greT-b0n3lordgoat_blank_Instant Karmaevad_lhorgmayordenisHolstencaffreyChardee MacDennisJazzyA Dub in Glasgod22ontourfranman 78 votes
    Rooney
    3%
    Instant KarmaA Dub in Glasgoemc2Peyton ManningGillingtonJam-FlypostalservicedanlenEpicurusJax Teller 10 votes
    Berbatov
    24%
    RasTaPHBKoldThe MuppetT-b0n3lordgoatBogglesIago_blank_Unearthlyevad_lhorgHeadshotcaffreyJazzyMr.Nice Guyd22ontourctrl-alt-deleteyabadabadoPigheademc2 79 votes
    D. Bent
    0%
    BogglesFeeky Magee 2 votes
    Defoe
    1%
    Bounty HunterGrumPyironictoastereoin2nc 4 votes
    Crouch
    2%
    Bounty HunterKoldGLaDOSbUILDERtHEbOBmiralizeeverdead.ieMrKingsleyDiabhal Beag 8 votes
    Keane
    0%
    FearDark 1 vote
    C. Cole
    0%
    Other
    0%
    SupermanscatHammer Archer 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Marcheda and Wellbeck.

Just you wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Bellamy
    Okay to get this one out of the way.
    Torres. Struggling a bit with injury at the moment but goal against Villa just shows what a deadly striker he is. A shoe in really along with Drogba. No need really to look beyond those two.
    btw Marcheda hasnt really done much since that wonder goal last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Berbatov
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Marcheda and Wellbeck.

Just you wait and see.

at least spell their names right ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Headshot wrote: »

Sorry, I'm only up to speed on United regulars :)

Bellamy
    Headshot wrote: »
    Yes Marcheda may be good in a few seasons time but really dont see the point considering him at this stage. For me Drogba is probably the best striker out there at the moment with Torres in second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Berbatov
    Because for some strange reason I cannot see Torres and Drogba working as well as a pair as Torres and Rooney or Drogba and Rooney
    and the fact that the last two have better current/season form and would gel better IMO .Hard choice .
    I voted for Rooney and Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Berbatov
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm only up to speed on United regulars :)

Welbeck has been a regular in the past few games now, so your post goes out the window

nice try all the same thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Berbatov
    Best end products are from Drogba and Rooney:

Drogba: 18 games 14 goals 5 assists
    Rooney: 19 games 14 goals 2 assists

Defoe: 18 games 14 goals 1 assist falls just short statistically and is harder to build a team around

Torres: 15 games 12 goals 1 assist loses out due to injury problems - but it is also important to note the assists tally from a very similar player like Drogba (of course assists is a team stat to an extent, but it remains noteworthy)

Bent: 20 games 13 goals 1 assist has produced less with the most games of the top scorers and has arguably the weakest all round game

Saha: 17 games 10 goals 1 assist has done very well, but is off the top tier

Carlos Tevez: 18 games 9 goals 5 assists is very productive, but off the extraordinary strikerates of the top forwards. Excellent all round game

Anelka: 16 games 5 goals 3 assists I will also mention because his all round game has struck me as excellent the few times I have watched him over 90 minutes

Bellamy: 16 games 6 goals 6 assists is an extraordinary asset to his side, provides exceptional movement and links the play extremely well but falls short of the top tier on this list due to a reduced end product. Cracking player however.

For silly reasons, Drogba and Rooney will not win this poll. But they have provided the biggest contributions of any strikers active in the Premiership thus far this season.

Bellamy
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Best end products are from Drogba and Rooney:

Drogba: 18 games 14 goals 5 assists
    Rooney: 19 games 14 goals 2 assists

Defoe: 18 games 14 goals 1 assist falls just short statistically and is harder to build a team around

Torres: 15 games 12 goals 1 assist loses out due to injury problems - but it is also important to note the assists tally from a very similar player like Drogba (of course assists is a team stat to an extent, but it remains noteworthy)

Bent: 20 games 13 goals 1 assist has produced less with the most games of the top scorers and has arguably the weakest all round game

Saha: 17 games 10 goals 1 assist has done very well, but is off the top tier

Carlos Tevez: 18 games 9 goals 5 assists is very productive, but off the extraordinary strikerates of the top forwards. Excellent all round game

Anelka: 16 games 5 goals 3 assists I will also mention because his all round game has struck me as excellent the few times I have watched him over 90 minutes

For silly reasons, Drogba and Rooney will not win this poll. But they have provided the biggest contributions of any strikers active in the Premiership thus far this season.
    Rooney not at his best this year. Gave a very silly goal away game before last. Would always be Torres and Drogba. I think United are strong in other sectors particulary in midfield but not up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rooney
    What the hell does Nicolas Anelka have to do to please people? Far and away the best striker in the league this year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Crouch
    I went for Defoe and Anelka. Both have had a good year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Bellamy
    Torres and Drogba by a country mile. Anyone who voted otherwise is just being silly.

Berbatov
    Archimedes wrote: »
    What the hell does Nicolas Anelka have to do to please people? Far and away the best striker in the league this year...

Is this vote the season so far or the calendar year 2009?

Bellamy
    Behave will you. A good back up for Drogba but thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bellamy
    Behave will you. A good back up for Drogba but thats all.

That'as an unusual way of looking at it. OK he's not quite up to Drogba's standard but very few are. On his form of the last couple of seasons Anelka would walk into any premiership side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Bellamy
    He's had a fantastic 2010 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Berbatov
    Rooney not at his best this year. Gave a very silly goal away game before last. Would always be Torres and Drogba. I think United are strong in other sectors particulary in midfield but not up front.

Amazing that he has managed to score more goals than any other striker in the PL in 09, while not at his best. Some player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Berbatov
    Looks like Torres and Drogba will run away with this and maybe LuckyLloyd was/will be right "silly reasons" Just cannot see them working that well together ,
    But the OP is looking for EPL pairing now that can be taken 2 ways

1 An actual pairing
    or
    2 Pic AND Mix ,

Like the rest of ye when i was voting I took the pic and mix option (Rooney and Drogba just could see them working together and their styles of play suiting each other.)
    However if I was to pick an Actual pair in the League

Hmmmm give me a min.......

Right Taken the whole year........

For me has to be Drogba and Anelka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Berbatov
    Bandit12 wrote: »
    Torres and Drogba by a country mile. Anyone who voted otherwise is just being silly.

Yeah - would be silly to vote for the forward with the most goals in 2009 - just silly. such silliness. :rolleyes:

Berbatov
    Fernando Torres: 21 goals 4 assists
    Wayne Rooney: 22 goals 5 assists
    Didier Drogba: 18 goals 9 assists
    Nicolas Anelka: 10 goals 5 assists

Anelka is a good player lads, and I think he provides a lot to link an attack outside the box. But I'm afraid the raw hard numbers tell the story.

Moreover, this rubbish about Rooney having an 'off year' or whatever is simply untrue. The man is beasting it like he always has. Just destroys people year in, year out (and most pertinently to this discussion - this year).

Carlos Tevez: 12 goals 7 assists
    Darren Bent: 18 goals 2 assists
    Jermain Defoe: 17 goals 2 assists
    Craig Bellamy: 10 goals 6 assists

None of these players (while all very positive contributers) should receive votes for the calendar year 2009 (or any recent period tbh). Given the fact that Tevez was out of favour for the first half of 2009, the numbers he has achieved are rather impressive. I would take him over Anelka to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Berbatov
    went for rooney and torres, two best strikers in england atm, drogba just behind them but he has been brilliant too, those 3 are head and shoulders above everyone else

Berbatov

This type of nonsense always makes me very sad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hadn't planned on voting for him anyway due to the formation but Arshavin hasn't been included for nomination in any position at all. 14 goals and 16 assists since joining Arsenal in January. Bit of an omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Berbatov

Thats true

I mean, all hes had is his best goal return of his entire career at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Berbatov
    I went for Rooney and Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Berbatov
    Rooney hasnt' been at his best. Yet he still rocks out in goals and assists. And the thing about him is, that's not even the most important part of his game. Torres has been injuried lots this year and thats why I'd say he should be left out, as Drogba has been pretty special at times.

Bellamy
    Fuhrer wrote: »
    Thats true

I mean, all hes had is his best goal return of his entire career at this stage of the season.
    yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Berbatov
    PHB wrote: »
    Torres has been injuried lots this year and thats why I'd say he should be left out, as Drogba has been pretty special at times.

fabregas missed 4+ months of 2009 and essien 3 months but alot of people picked them in the midfield poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Drogba
    Van Persie should be getting a lot more votes than he has. 7 goals and 7 assist in 11 league appearances this season, and finished top in the assists chart in the league last season, along with a healthy 20 goals to his name in all competitions. Not to be sniffed at.

• Advertisement

Bellamy
    This type of nonsense always makes me very sad.
    Another kleenex moment sponsored by..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Other
    I picked Cheryl Cole, the roide.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bellamy
    I went for Torres and Drigba, although leaving Rooney out would be a very hard thing to do as well, as he is a fantastic player, easily uniteds best over the last year.

However, if each striker played every game this season I think Torres would definitely get the most goals, and Drogba is such a nightmare to play against and contributes so much to the attack.

Horribly tough decision.

Berbatov
    Van Persie should be getting a lot more votes than he has. 7 goals and 7 assist in 11 league appearances this season, and finished top in the assists chart in the league last season, along with a healthy 20 goals to his name in all competitions. Not to be sniffed at.

Meh, he's an excellent player. He just isn't as good as the top three players, who happen to be some of the very best players in their position in the world. No shame in being behind Torres / Drogba / Rooney!!

Bellamy
    should have kept me mouth shut. An upsurge in the votes for Rooney!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Berbatov
    5starpool wrote: »
    However, if each striker played every game this season I think Torres would definitely get the most goals,

Him being injury prone would detract from being one of the best forwards though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Bellamy
    Torres and Drogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Berbatov
    Bandit12 wrote: »

Oh really, becuase voting for the striker to score the most goals in 2009 is pretty silly isnt it. Rooney and Torres for me.

Bellamy
    curry-muff wrote: »
    Oh really, becuase voting for the striker to score the most goals in 2009 is pretty silly isnt it. Rooney and Torres for me.
    Rooney is a terrific athlete to be fair. maybe we could play a 4-3-3 formation with Drogba the target man for Rooney and torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Berbatov
    Carlton Cole and Bobby Zamora by a country mile, anyone who votes otherwise is really stupid. :rolleyes:

No seriously, Rooney and Drogba have been the best in 2009 Torres has been injured too much to be considered up there with the relatively injury free pairing that has the best return and would compliment each other very well imo. Torres is a great player and may take it if we were voting on the best striker but not in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Berbatov
    Rooney and Drogba for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Torres on his own. He doesn't need anyone else. The best striker in the world, bar none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Berbatov
    Rooney not at his best this year. Gave a very silly goal away game before last.

Got selective myopia? Gave a silly goal away, but scored another one and made two others.

No doubt for me: Rooney and Drogba.

Rooney scored more in the calendar year than anyone else as pointed out. Drogba is immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Saha
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Torres on his own. He doesn't need anyone else. The best striker in the world, bar none!

He is a top class striker, but the best in the world? Not even the best in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

D. Bent
    Rooney by a country mile.

Drogba then Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Bellamy
    if you think rooney is a country mile better than both drogba and torres you really do have a screw loose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Bellamy
    Rooney isn't even top 3 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Berbatov
    I went for Torres with Rooney playing behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Berbatov
    Meh, he's an excellent player. He just isn't as good as the top three players, who happen to be some of the very best players in their position in the world. No shame in being behind Torres / Drogba / Rooney!!

IMO, Van Persie when fit is actually the best striker in the premiership bar none. I think he's an utterly outstanding player, who has all you need to play in an attacking technical side like Arsenal or United. If he was able to stay fit, I think he'd be the best buy United could make. But he can't, do I wouldn't put him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Berbatov
    I went for Drogba and Rooney though if he had stayed fit I would have gone for Van Persie over Rooney. With better fitness he would be in that top tier.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bellamy
    Drogba and Torres - as they are the best and have played the best in over the last 12 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement