Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Forwards

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Berbatov
    Rooney and Drogba, Drogba is a beast and Rooney is invaluable to the United team as well as being statistically up there

Torres gets an honourable mention, i he was fit for longer periods he would probably make it, just cant put him in it for 2009

Same goes for Van Persie in fact, when fit he is outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Nicolas Bendtner.Pant dropping car crashing legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Berbatov
    PHB wrote: »
    IMO, Van Persie when fit is actually the best striker in the premiership bar none. I think he's an utterly outstanding player, who has all you need to play in an attacking technical side like Arsenal or United. If he was able to stay fit, I think he'd be the best buy United could make. But he can't, do I wouldn't put him there.

Being fit is always part of the equation, because it affects the end product, and the end product is all that really matters in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Berbatov
    On his 2009 form

Anelka > Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bellamy
    llyod, the stats you provided. Thats out of how many games played? Does seem a little funny that fitness comes into it now after voting essien into the midfield. Torres and Drogba quite easily for me, with rooney and anelka behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Berbatov
    CHD wrote: »
    On his 2009 form

Anelka > Drogba

Eh? Are you arguing that Anelka's all round contribution can overcome the following statistical disparity:

Didier Drogba: 18 goals 9 assists
    Nicolas Anelka: 10 goals 5 assists

?

Not sure you can convince me on this, but I'd be interested to read it.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    llyod, the stats you provided. Thats out of how many games played? Does seem a little funny that fitness comes into it now after voting essien into the midfield. Torres and Drogba quite easily for me, with rooney and anelka behind them.

Nothing to do with me.

Not sure on the games, I'll check it tomorrow...maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Berbatov
    On his 2009 form

Anelka > Drogba

anelka played his best form under scolari especially the back end of 2008

interestingly enough drogba was at his worst at the same time, seemed to be either injured or bitching and moaning all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Berbatov
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    if you think rooney is a country mile better than both drogba and torres you really do have a screw loose

He is a better forward , they are better strikers.

He is a forward who has outscored 2 better strikers in the calender year.Screws loose i think not.

:rolleyes:

Berbatov
    Yes I am Lloyd.

Drogba stands up top and scores the goals. Anelka works his socks off all over the pitch creating the chances/attacks that provide goal scoring oppurtunities. Just because he hasn't got the final pass before a goal and have a big number beside assists in his stats people think he is just doing well. I have seen just about every game he played in in 2009 and he was fantastic. He tracks back all the time, always looks to get into space for a pass and linking the midfield play to the attack turning possession into goal scoring chances.

Two games everyone would have seen are the playoff games. In Dublin he was fantastic, dropping into the midfield to collect the ball and trying to create chances. Unfortunately for him most of his team mates were lazy and Whelan and Andrews gave him no time. Point I'm badly making is that he is a machine and the engiene of the teams he plays in. When playing for Chelsea whether it be up top, right wing or playing off the striker he has excelled. People like Lampard, Essien, Malouda and Drogba ended last season on top form because of Anelka imo. Anelka finished last season top scorer. In 2009 Anelka did more than just score goals and was the best striker in the EPL imo. People think because he didn't bang goals in at the end of last season he was only decent but with the return of Drogba this was always going to happen so he went back to another role and its no coincidence Chelsea ended the season playing very well picking up a trophy and getting cheated out of another CL final.

There is probably no convincing you and no point really, this team and voting has been laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Berbatov

Two games everyone would have seen are the playoff games. In Dublin he was fantastic, dropping into the midfield to collect the ball and trying to create chances.

Sorry but im not buying that, he was woeful against Ireland.

Berbatov
    curry-muff wrote: »
    How sorry are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Berbatov
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    if you think rooney is a country mile better than both drogba and torres you really do have a screw loose

IN 2009, read the title. Rooney has had a much better 09 then Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Crouch
    Went for Drogba and Defoe that would be an amazing partnership upfront raining goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bellamy
    anelka and torres.

Torres because, simply, he is the deadliest finisher in the league. yes he's had injury problems, but he really is that good, and that central to any potential success Liverpool can have.

Anelka deserves to be ahead of Drogba on this year's form.

he was last year's top scorer, carried Chelsea's attack while Drogba stropped under Scolari (and for a while post-Scolari), and has since adapted his game to suit the team, now that Drogba has returned to being the main man.

Rooney gets an honourable mention, and would've got my third vote, but i told myself i'd only vote for two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Berbatov
    Went for Drogba and Defoe that would be an amazing partnership upfront raining goals

Interesting idea , Little man ,Big man compo ,
    Yes , You could see them terroristing back fours all over the place,
    Think the goal return would be pretty dam good

good shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Saha
    I should read the posts before I vote. Couldnt decide between torres and drogba and didnt realise i could vote for both. Drogba and Torres better get it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Berbatov
    These polls just seem to be a popularity contest and people not really understanding what its about. It's not about creating the best team in the league or a dream team, it's who had the best year. Rooney should be miles in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Berbatov
    If Rooney gets edged out here is a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Crouch
    flahavaj wrote: »

drogba_disgrace.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Berbatov
    This is gona be tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Berbatov
    curry-muff wrote: »

You should be sorry, so so sorry, because u are so so wrong. Anelka was outstanding in both legs! Player of the tie jst after Lloris prob..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Saha
    How on Earth is Anelka lagging so far behind. The lad is unreal and has changed and improved his game so much it's incomperable. The fact that Torres and Drogba are going to make up 2 of the top 3 is a joke, shows that this is a poll on reputation alone. Probably should be Anelka and Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Bellamy

Like O'Shea getting the RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

what a crock of tish....in 2009 the poll is about i thought....rooney has scored more goals in 2009 than any other player...and drogba on scored 5 goals in the 08/09 season...what a joke this system is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bellamy
    If Anelka gets beaten by a country mile it's a disgrace.

fyp ;)

it's funny how utd fans are so up in arms that it's close for Rooney getting in, and that it'd be some sort of injustice, yet they aren't complaining at Anelka, last year's top scorer, who lead Chelsea's attack all last season while;

1) Drogba had a strop at not being adored, and

2) Scolari couldn't adapt to the Premier League,

is being completely overlooked.

for me, he's probably the only one that should be an absolute shoo-in. whether Drogba, Torres or Rooney are better players than him or not, none of them performed better as a striker last year than Nicolas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Berbatov
    Johner wrote: »
    Like O'Shea getting the RB.

yeah Bosingwa definitely shoulda got it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Bellamy
    Liam O wrote: »
    yeah Bosingwa definitely shoulda got it :rolleyes:

Can you tell me where I said Bosingwa should have got it? Sagna or Johnson should have tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Berbatov
    SlickRic wrote: »
    fyp ;)

it's funny how utd fans are so up in arms that it's close for Rooney getting in, and that it'd be some sort of injustice, yet they aren't complaining at Anelka, last year's top scorer, who lead Chelsea's attack all last season while;

for me, he's probably the only one that should be an absolute shoo-in. whether Drogba, Torres or Rooney are better players than him or not, none of them performed better as a striker last year than Nicolas.

1. Rooney scored more goals in 2009 than him (more goals than anyone)
    2. Scolari affected his 2009 impact by 1 month a 9 days. Hardly massive....eh?

Also, it is more so United fans getting annoyed at the assertions by some that voting for Rooney is 'silly' and stupid; that Torres and Drogba (or even Anelka) should be well ahead of him by default, for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Berbatov
    SlickRic wrote: »
    fyp ;)

It's a poll for 2009 not the 2008/2009 season. Anelka was best before Christmas last year, (he was good for the whole season of course) but Rooney has been the outstanding forward for the calender year 2009. It's practically inarguable. And I'm not a United fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Bellamy
    what a crock of tish....in 2009 the poll is about i thought....rooney has scored more goals in 2009 than any other player...and drogba on scored 5 goals in the 08/09 season...what a joke this system is
    Get onto Joe Duffy.:pac:

• Advertisement

Berbatov
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    How on Earth is Anelka lagging so far behind. The lad is unreal and has changed and improved his game so much it's incomperable. The fact that Torres and Drogba are going to make up 2 of the top 3 is a joke, shows that this is a poll on reputation alone. Probably should be Anelka and Rooney
    What do you expect Bubs. I'm with you on this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Berbatov
    Rooney Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Bellamy
    Lol at poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rooney
    Bandit12 wrote: »
    Lol at poll

What the hell are you lol'ing at exactly? The two players you voted for are in the top 3. The other player had a remarkable year, regardless of your feelings about the team he plays for or the fans of that team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Berbatov
    surprised to see anelka so far down. i dunno tho, i just think that a pairing of torres and rooney would rock socks

Berbatov
    Jazzy wrote: »
    surprised to see anelka so far down. i dunno tho, i just think that a pairing of torres and rooney would rock socks
    Poll isn't vote for a pairing that rock socks though.

Advertisement