Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Outlet store

Options
  • 01-01-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone here have any experience buying from the Dell Outlet online? The describe the site as selling refurbished computer equipment which is limited in quantity. This is product, which has been returned to Dell for a variety of reasons including cancellation and specification changes.. The prices seem quite good so I'd be interested to see if they are quality?

Thanks in advance,
    D8
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

From my experience quality would be new, unless it says it has a scratch or part missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Same as new except for maybe a small scratch which you would expect to pick up after a short time using anyway. Have bought both laptops and PCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Same as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Frank11

the last couple of times i check the site seems to be down. is this what everybody is seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Its due to be back online on Wednesday (6th).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Have bought laptops from it a couple of times and they were all new. No marks, scratches or otherwise.
    Check whether it says scratch/dent or refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

vat is extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

There is a Dell outlet store in Wicklow Town. Selling that kind of Dell stuff. Don't have a number but it based at the Wicklow Enterprise Centre, The Murrough, Wicklow, they should give you the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

In my experience, the quality is spot on. They seem to be either orders that were cancelled or systems that were replaced and then refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I'd recommend it, I got a Mini 10 for €200, great value and pretty much brand new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Another plus is that there'll be less delays in receiving your order because it's already been built. The only delays that can happen are in delivery. Or they could lose it altogether, which has happened. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kol123

The site is still down. They don't seem to be sure when this will be fixed. It's a shame actually. I have not used it b4 but I am a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Used it a while back to order an XPS desktop. I was happy enough when it arrived but there was an issue surrounding the system spec.

CPU, RAM, Hard drive, video card etc were all good. However it was listed on the site as having a Sound Blaster Xi-Fi.
    When it arrived, there was an on-board sound card with a little plastic cover over all the ports.

On querying with sales they told me that the Sound blaster Xi-Fi listed in the specs was the little plastic part.
    I continued pushing, why would the onboard sound ports be covered if there was no internal card etc... untill eventually they sent out the SB Card to me.

As it turned out about 2 years later they had recalled the motherboards, (some chipset feature was advertised that it didnt do) so a free upgrade to the motherboard was on the cards too.

After the motherboard upgrade, I added a new CPU and some RAM at my own expense. System is still going strong and relatively decent specced almost 4 years later.

So although there is great value to be had, I would strongly recommend that you know what you are looking at spec wise (or get someone that knows what to look at). Then print it off or keep a record of what you order and check this when the system gets delivered.

The BIG question is when will the Ireland Outlet site be back up and running. I am itching to place an order there if I find what I am looking for. Has the website been taken down completely? Please advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

kol123 wrote: »
    The BIG question is when will the Ireland Outlet site be back up and running. I am itching to place an order there if I find what I am looking for. Has the website been taken down completely? Please advise.

Yeah I am also looking to put an order through and am starting to wonder when the hell it's coming back online.
    Lets hope the extra time required means we will be getting a great site in return! :P

The big question I would like to ask is: Has the Ireland Dell outlet ever worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

kol123 wrote: »
    The big question I would like to ask is: Has the Ireland Dell outlet ever worked?

Ha! Yeah I guess for you this must seem pretty bad as you have never seen the site up and running.
    I must say there are some great deals to be had, so it's a worthwhile site to have on your favorites. Just wish they would get it up and running already!! :mad:

Any Dell peeps here that can shed some light on time frames or what the hold up is?

The old site was terrible. It worked but it wasn't pretty and not all that helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

everything we bought lately was shipped from china

I have a feeling returns etc will no longer be available on the Ireland site

I may be wrong ,but its been down two months

just a feeling

thanks Guys. this is quite disappointing though.

• Advertisement

the Dell outlet website is back up now but there is not much there. I am not impressed.

The outlet was always pretty random. Only occasionally did you get a good deal on it. Often going to the main site was cheaper. Also there were a lot of resellers who seem to snap up all the good deals when they appeared. Like vultures.

Its not working for me.

Correction it is working but only if I go in by new arrivals. Thats the other thing they do. Have lots of links that don't bring you to the store. Its like they want to hide it. Actually its brining me to the UK outlet not the Irish one?

In other countries they have business machines up on the outlet. In ireland they have hardly any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Is the reason that there is not much in the outlet anymore because the pc/laptops are not manufactured here anymore?

No idea, the site was changed a few times then they just took it down.

where else can we check for the outlet?

I'd just shop elsewhere for now.

i am actually looking to purchase in good quantity. any ideas you can share?

I've only bought in volume through the business channel, and company account. While I've bought a good few personally, its always been one or two units at a time. Usually from the outlet. I haven't been shopping for anything in ages so have no idea where the best deals are. If you are buying in volume you should be able to haggle a good deal.

• Advertisement

Thanks Boston.

Advertisement