Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year Revamp

Options
  • 01-01-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Finding the broadband and mobile a bit expensive so going to look into comparing prices on both, need the broadband to be good as work from home. Interested to know views on different providers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Recently switched to Three bill pay, find them great value and their fixed price contracts €25/€40pm very competitive unless you want to make international calls.

Id be interested to hear what the internet options are for people who dont want to take up a phone line are here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

UPC BB does not require a phone line. BB, TV and phone all through the same cable.

UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'd be interested in hearing if people in Charlesland/Greystones who have UPC broadband have had any broadband connection issues.

I am currently on a phoneline with UTV and the service only ever reaches say 5MB download max even when I've subscribed to the 7.6MB service. Often enough the DSL connection drops or the internet light on the router goes red.

It'd be nice to see some local speeds of other people's providers:

here's mine from Speedtest.net this morning, pretty shocking...

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/670376570.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]670376570.png

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing if people in Charlesland/Greystones who have UPC broadband have had any broadband connection issues.

I am currently on a phoneline with UTV and the service only ever reaches say 5MB download max even when I've subscribed to the 7.6MB service. Often enough the DSL connection drops or the internet light on the router goes red.

It'd be nice to see some local speeds of other people's providers:

here's mine from Speedtest.net this morning, pretty shocking...

670376570.png

Here is my result for the 10mb upc connection. Pretty good.

670383952.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

670387780.png

ping pong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

This is mine

670411757.png

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

have 10 mbit UPC and haven't seen it below 9.5 mbit on the speed test. It's very consistent!

I play some online gaming and latency even with wireless connection never goes off green. Using wireless N router though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

670443577.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

I am with Vodafone was with Imagine found imagine quicker...and cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

My ISP shown in the test is not the one I pay money to! Is this to do with it being wireless? The speeds are horrendous!

confused.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

670823574.png

10Mb connection that rarely drops below speed above.

With the UPC upgrade this will be soon a 15Mb but that's a discussion for the BB forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Damo9090 wrote: »
    670823574.png

10Mb connection that rarely drops below speed above.

With the UPC upgrade this will be soon a 15Mb but that's a discussion for the BB forum.

How much is the 10 Damo?

Im confused by all this when i was giving the wrong info about Charlesland not able to get more than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

We are on 20mb with UPC and it's brilliant.

We were previously with BT business broadband. BT were not able to provide consistent uptime, it was so poor that the connection would drop at least once a day and this is not reliable enough when working from home. Most of the issues with ISP's providing DSL connections for Charlesland are due to the distance from the Greystones exchange.

With UPC I have only had one small outage that lasted 5hrs since the start of the summer. I suppose the fact they supply telephone & TV services as well helps in ensuring a more stable service :)

The broadband service is very fast and I get a constant 19mb + connection.

Also heard a rumour that we will be getting an upgrade to at least 30mb within the next month or so as all broadband services advertised by UPC are now listed as fibre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I'm on the 20 Mb connection in Seabourne View apartment block. I pay approximately €70 a month for BB and TV, of which I think about €40 is the BB. Compare that to eircoms 7 Mb for almost €50

671432321.png

The above isn't a good representation of the normal speeds that I get as I am connected remotely to my home network at the moment, so a lot of the upload/download is taken up with that connection.

I normally sit at around 16/17 Mb down (meant to be 20 Mb) and 1 Mb up (meant to be 1.5 Mb).

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

671558811.png

I used to have the odd 'No Signal' on the TV and have had UPC around twice to strengthen the signal (from outside in the ground somewhere) and since they change the box I have had no problems at all.

it seems if you want a consistent and good download bandwidth in Charlesland UPC is the way to go...Pity they don't do free calls to the UK like UTV do!

671649955.png

Just signed up for the new Fibre Power broadband with UPC, i guess anything would be an improvment on the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

For anyone interested in connecting with UPC, you might be interested in a couple of the new changes they are introducing.

Details on recent price and service changes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Aww, looks like I won't be availing of the new speeds. They insist on a new 12 month contract if you sign up to it. That sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I have BT's LLU BB, 10MB connection. I mainly use it for movies and as LLU seems to be mostly contention free, I always get constant d/l speed of 1,000kb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is anyone aware of what imagine's wimax has to offer. Looks like it could be good. Not available in gstones yet though.

I have BT's LLU BB, 10MB connection. I mainly use it for movies and as LLU seems to be mostly contention free, I always get constant d/l speed of 1,000kb/s

Cavie, Where are you located?

I'm not sure if anyone can get BT broadband anymore as you have to go through Vodafone Ireland. They are offering only up to 7Mb broadband at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I'm in the Crescent - yeah, heard about the VF / BT thing. As far as I am aware, Vf will be taking over existing LLU exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

using UPC in the crescent, just upgraded to the 15Mb, did a speedtest the other night and got 17Mb

very fast broadband and seems to be reliable, also have the phone and tv, phone is good, tv is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so jealous of you charlesland folk.

Wish UPC would pull their fingers out and upgrade the rest of greystones. Cant get broadband, phone or digital tv off them where I live. bunch of lazy jerks!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

I'm in the Crescent - yeah, heard about the VF / BT thing. As far as I am aware, Vf will be taking over existing LLU exchanges.

Are you still getting these speeds? Have you migrated to Vodafone at Home yet?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

I have been using Irish Broadband for over 18 months now and I have received nothing but excellent service. I have a 4Mb/4Mb line and it costs less that €50pm. The contention is next to none and I have not had a single drop out in that time. I would strongly consider them if working from home and a reliable connection are your concerns.

sysconp1 wrote: »
    I have been using Irish Broadband for over 18 months now and I have received nothing but excellent service. I have a 4Mb/4Mb line and it costs less that €50pm. The contention is next to none and I have not had a single drop out in that time. I would strongly consider them if working from home and a reliable connection are your concerns.

Thats a lot to pay, i was with them for a year and was paying €22 for 1 meg (at best). I would reccommend UPC, paying €21 for 5 meg and no trouble to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

That was the wireless breeze 4Mb business package and for the price it is very good. Remember that is 4Mb up and 4Mb down, not the 1Mb/512Kb that many providers offer. But you do get what you pay for and if it is a business expense then I am sure that the company would pay. Another benefit is the low contention, as it is a business package the contention is much lower than the normal home packages.

I did look at UPC/NTL, but their poor performance, poor customer service and instability pushed me away from them very quickly. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

UPC is excellant for Broadband, 30mb hammered away with no limits so far.

As for TV thats a different story. Paying for Max package but told that people in Charlelands cannot get the full package due to low signal strength. So 80% of the channels 100% of the price.

Moving soon to area with no UPC Digital, but will have Sky, so its brilliant for me.

FYI Imagine Broadband offer a Business with no limits for the same price as their residential with limits.

:)

Advertisement