Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Conditions Dublin, And Surrounding Counties.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Bull**** it may be,in your opinion Howiya,but wherever you believe the Bailout money has come from the reality is that we have little or no money to fund the normal day-to-day spending on EVERYTHING...which includes the Road Treatment budget.

I do not share your opinion that our administration has ring-fenced various elements of it`s funds and I would suggest that in order to accquire the funding necessary to "protect" the integrity of our financial systems Ireland will have had to either divert elements of D2D spending allocated to other areas OR it will have to increase it`s borrowings and pay whatever premium is necessary.

It's not my opinion. It's a matter of fact. Our country's finances are a matter of public record and available for all to view on the internet or in hard copy

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

I drove from Galway City to Gorey today. I left at 2.30pm and arrived home in Gorey at approximately 7pm. The roads leaving Galway were perfectly fine until we reached the Tyrellpass bypass where there was a massive amount of freezing fog and the temperatures plummetted - I could even see the moisture freezing on the road!

It cleared after a bit but got treacherous the further east I went. M6 was ok in the most parts. M4 was well dodgy coming towards Lucan and the M50/M4 interchange was horrendously bad. Once on the M50 (southbound) it was quite slushy, but manageable. The M11 was a story and a half however....I've got to hand it to Wicklow Co.Co. they had that road in immaculate condition.

Then I arrived at the southern end of the Arklow bypass - where the Gorey bypass starts and Wexford Co.Co. take over......sheet ice everywhere, no sign of any work having been done on the road surface. It was a disgrace. ABS working like a trooper to keep me in a straight line. Local roads in Gorey town were lethal. The Mains Street was like an ice rink.

I can sum up the journey like this:

M6: Road was well treated, icy in patches, but safe in themost part
    M4: Dangerously slushy, treated towards the west, less so further east
    M50: Seemed treated, icy patches.
    M11: Perfet conditions in Wicklow; Wexford was atrocious. Worst conditions I've ever seen on a road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I'm hoping to go out today, we live in the Gorey surrounding area... have heard some bad things about the roads... a friend of mine managed to crash his second car trying to get home last night... anyone got any news of Gorey??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Noffles wrote: »
    I'm hoping to go out today, we live in the Gorey surrounding area... have heard some bad things about the roads... a friend of mine managed to crash his second car trying to get home last night... anyone got any news of Gorey??

Allegedly the Bus Eireann Roasslare-Dublin service is terminating in Gorey, I guess that means it's still pretty bad.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0102/weather.html

Anyone got any more info?
    Have to drive Wexford-Dublin, wondering if I should attempt it this afternoon, or wait for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

would be happy for some updates.
    the wife is driving from athy to rathmines to castlenock to whitehall to strawberry beds.

anybody have any news or updates on the above areas apart from athy.

got down to -7.5 here last night.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

I had to go out on to work today and the roads were still very bad on my route.

Fairyhouse Rd, R155: Bad driving conditions, very icy.
    N3,M3: OK, still down to 1 lane.
    Clonee to Lucan: Extremely dangerous, little traffic on road so all compacted snow into very slippy ice.
    Lucan to Leixlip: Extremely dangerous again, little traffic, all compacted ice.

Strawberry beds is closed as its too dangerous.

2jan21w.jpg
    2lstxsj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

tibor wrote: »
    Allegedly the Bus Eireann Roasslare-Dublin service is terminating in Gorey, I guess that means it's still pretty bad.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0102/weather.html

Anyone got any more info?
    Have to drive Wexford-Dublin, wondering if I should attempt it this afternoon, or wait for tomorrow.

Our road joins the R741 and if that is anything to go by I would avoid traveling today, bloody nightmare and not a drop of grit in sight.. Although I'm not sure how things will improve tomorrow...?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cormob

anyone know what the M1 is like today? Have to drive to dundalk from dublin this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Anyone able to get through the phoenix park?? Ie from castleknock to the opposite end (is that the "parkgate street entrance")?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Road conditions around Gorey are atrocious, you wouldn't think we'd be short of sand and salt around here:)
    We have heard a lot about poor driving habits in these threads but has anybody thought of informing pedestrians that they have responsibilities too.
    (a) No missus, it is not a good idea to push your buggy out into a line of cars, just because they are travelling slowly doesn't mean they can stop in a hurry.
    (b) No mate, it's not a good idea to turn your collar up and cross an icy road with your back to traffic.
    On my travels this morning, by far the hairiest incidents I saw involved pedestrians.
    Wake up FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Can anyone tell me what the coast road (Howth to city) is like? I may have to make a fast run to Holles St any time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

3DataModem wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the coast road (Howth to city) is like? I may have to make a fast run to Holles St any time now.

Not sure ! but best of luck anyway , herself has three weeks to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I am sick of being stuck at home on account of the weather over the past fortnight, but hey, better than sliding into a ditch or knocking some poor kid down. I will probably just walk to Dundrum TC today instead of driving, which ought to take me about 40 mins. I am not risking the car.

The AA Roadwatch site has been patchy - I wasn't able to access it on Thursday at all, no wonder people have to rely on other sources.

A lot of people, myself included, are going back to work on Monday.... I hope the weather will have eased up by then:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's not my opinion. It's a matter of fact. Our country's finances are a matter of public record and available for all to view on the internet or in hard copy

Anyway,whilst myself and Howiya argue over the facts (or lack thereof) of the country`s finances it`s slowly emerging that there may be an issue with these items..FG`s Fergus O Dowd is alluding to that this morning in his new-year address to a well resourced,ring-fenced population.

Given that the Bank Holiday is now over,I would imagine that the Local Authorities will now come under pressure to divert financial resources into maintaining the treatment process for the big (?) re-start on Monday Morning.

The Department of the Environment has already referred to "some" Local Authorities not managing their allocated resouces effectively,as in,we won`t be giving you any extra to cope with this latest situation.

This now makes some large scale service cutbacks in other Local Authority services a very real possibility indeed...perhaps a new thread on this speculation might be in order....Conspiracy Theories perhaps...?

My bet is Library Services,Parks and Community Centre funding will suffer greatly in 2010...:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rameire wrote: »
    would be happy for some updates.
    the wife is driving from athy to rathmines to castlenock to whitehall to strawberry beds.
    Possibly avoid Strawberry Beds http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0102/weather.html "Gardaí say Tinkers Hill by Strawberry Beds in Dublin is still closed, and may not be opened until Monday."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Anyway,whilst myself and Howiya argue over the facts (or lack thereof) of the country`s finances it`s slowly emerging that there may be an issue with these items..FG`s Fergus O Dowd is alluding to that this morning in his new-year address to a well resourced,ring-fenced population.

Given that the Bank Holiday is now over,I would imagine that the Local Authorities will now come under pressure to divert financial resources into maintaining the treatment process for the big (?) re-start on Monday Morning.

The Department of the Environment has already referred to "some" Local Authorities not managing their allocated resouces effectively,as in,we won`t be giving you any extra to cope with this latest situation.

This now makes some large scale service cutbacks in other Local Authority services a very real possibility indeed...perhaps a new thread on this speculation might be in order....Conspiracy Theories perhaps...?

My bet is Library Services,Parks and Community Centre funding will suffer greatly in 2010...:(

If they are spending more money on gritting the roads then obviously they have less money to spend on other things. Its just that simple. No need for conspiracy theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anyone know what the backroads from Finglas to Blanchardstown are like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Any Cork to Galway information from anyone? Thanks.

its icy around rathmines and the canal in dublin south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Drove Knocklyon > M50N, N4 to Heuston, Quays, up by Christchurch and out the N11 to Stillorgan at 9:30 today

Conditions were ok the whole length, no problems or black ice - kept to under 80 on the M50, and to 50 elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone know what its like around Swords, Skerries/Lusk? No info on them on aaroadwatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im meant to be driving from Cavan to Dublin in a couple of hours. Could anybody tell me what the N3 is like?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Elessar wrote: »
    Anyone know what its like around Swords, Skerries/Lusk? No info on them on aaroadwatch.

I can tell you the roads on the airport side of Swords (from the Coachman's Inn up towards St Margaret's and the Forest Road) aren't too bad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ratoath road has turned to slush but cars sliding all over the place.

minor collisions at dunnes on cardiffbridge road.

cars having difficulty getting up the hill at rathvilly and sliding through the lights coming down on to the ratoath road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Just drove Dublin to Cork, the M50/N7/M7 wasn't too bad. I can picture those roads getting nasty again after dark though. The M8 is absolutely fine, save for a few small patches of slush in shaded areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No idea, if it gets bad you could just turn around and take the M50? Theres been no snow today and the busier routes should be turning to slush. I'd avoid the less busy routes for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Starting back to work in Portlaoise this Monday.Would be leaving home (Islandbridge) about 7.30 - anyone know what the M7 is like early morning atm?Could prob work from Dublin for a day or two if absolutely necessary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rathmines-Harold's Cross

Roads

N81 Harold's Cross Road seems clear.

Rathgar Avenue mostly clear.

Kenilworth Park to Kenilworth Road are slushy so ease off.

Kenilworth Square (quiet sides) packed ice on the roads. Be very careful.

Footpaths

Very mixed - some areas have partially defrosted and re-frozen as ice. Driveway are also dangerous as cars have packed the snow into ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My mate says there was a news bulletin on Radio 1 there a couple of mins ago warning of a blizzard and "artic style storms" to hit Dublin in the next hour or so. Is it hype? Where could I check this online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Random wrote: »
    My mate says there was a news bulletin on Radio 1 there a couple of mins ago warning of a blizzard and "artic style storms" to hit Dublin in the next hour or so. Is it hype? Where could I check this online?

From http://www.met.ie/

Bitterly cold this afternoon with frost and ice persisting in many places, despite some sunny spells. Most places dry, but scattered wintry showers, with light snow at times, these mainly over parts of Ulster, Connacht, north Leinster and in some Atlantic coastal areas. Top temperatures of -1 to +5 degrees- highest on northern coasts.

Tonight

Very cold and frosty this evening and tonight with widespread ice. Some patches of freezing fog, mostly over Ulster. Isolated wintry showers too, mainly near eastern coasts. Lowest temperatures -4 to -7 C., generally, but zero to -2 near coasts. Light easterly winds, but these freshening over Munster and south Leinster late in the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Just drove Wexford->Dublin on the N11/M11 in just over 2 and half hours.
    Right lane was a bit dodgy around Gorey/Arklow with slush, but everywhere else was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bertieb53

cornbb wrote: »
    Just drove Dublin to Cork, the M50/N7/M7 wasn't too bad. I can picture those roads getting nasty again after dark though. The M8 is absolutely fine, save for a few small patches of slush in shaded areas.

glad to here you got there safe ! was wondering if you were going to brave it have to travel to cork from dublin and was delighted to hear that roads were not too bad. How was the Portlaoise/Abbeyleix section and also the N7 bit at Naas heard that these area's were bad. How long did it take and how early did you set off. Would you say it was a good decision to go !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

bertieb53 wrote: »
    glad to here you got there safe ! was wondering if you were going to brave it have to travel to cork from dublin and was delighted to hear that roads were not too bad. How was the Portlaoise/Abbeyleix section and also the N7 bit at Naas heard that these area's were bad. How long did it take and how early did you set off. Would you say it was a good decision to go !!!

Portlaoise to Abbeyleix was actually grand too. There was plenty of slush between Dublin and Naas - Dublin and Kildare were by far the worst areas. Virtually no ice elsewhere.

I set off around 11am, managed up to 50kph in areas inside the M50, about 60-80kph as far as Portlaoise-ish and up to 120 after that.

There were some bits of ice in shaded areas though, I'd say parts of that route could be treacherous again after dark.

ok wife is home after her trip today.

report back on the roads driven this evening

lucan roads are ok, no ice only slush.
    grangecastle roads slightly icy
    n7 all the way to the m9 is fine, no ice, just slush
    m9 only one lane in use, but lane was good.
    n78 very wet was driving slow so couldnt tell if it was icy
    and athy was grand as its 3c here still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bertieb53

thanks cornbb for info ! hopefully we will get there too !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some black ice on what are otherwise deceptively clear looking roads in Maynooth - had one slight forward skid when stopping for lights from ~40km/h and a bit of kick out going around an corner at about 10km/h!

northern part of m9 from kilcullen to m7 is very icy, the m7 is icy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Rapid thaw in Gorey area overnight, most roads passable with care. Courtown road still a bit tricky due to slush but hopefully traffic volumes will clear this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

rameire wrote: »
    northern part of m9 from kilcullen to m7 is very icy, the m7 is icy.

As bad as that is, is it still better than the R448 Kilcullen-Naas road does anyone know? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

AndrewMc wrote: »
    As bad as that is, is it still better than the R448 Kilcullen-Naas road does anyone know? Thanks!

To answer my own question, the M9 from Kilcullen and M7/N7 northbound were both fine except parts of the overtaking lane of the M9 which were slushy. Was moving anything from 60 to 90 km/hr most of the time, and being overtaken quite a bit.

Cork to Galway roads were fine today. A little slippy north of Gort, but the gritters were out (I saw one).

drove from athy to whitehall this evening as its going to be bad in the morning and i dont want to end up in a ditch.

thing is i drive a bike.

so athy is grand, nothing like dublin.
    n78 from athy to kilcullen is ok, not too slippy.
    the m9 to m7 junction was the worst main road,
    the overtaking lane was white.
    m7 is like normal, nothing bad.
    n7 was ok apart from all the people driving in the middle lane.
    didnt use lane 3 as it looked slippy, so i undertook alot of people sticking in the middle lane, as lane 1 and 2 were ok.
    n7 to m50 norht slip was a bit slippy,
    the m50 is ok apart from around blanch and ballymun.
    the old m1 to collins ave is ok.
    collins ave towards dcu is ok
    estates are absolutely a no go, had to crawl into crestfield with my feet out.

took 1hr 20 min this evening after leaving at 4.35pm

for tomorrow i can see the m9 and the n7 to m50 north slip being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

the gritters were out (I saw one).

So THEY exist?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Outer Ring Road and N4 around Lucan appear to be fine this evening.
    However, many of the estates are still in very bad condition. Our own still has a layer of compacted snow on it and is now getting progressively slippier as the evening goes on.

Seanieke wrote: »
    So THEY exist?????

YES! Couldnt believe it. It was going the other way and sprayed grit onto the car somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Looking like things could get hairy by tomorrow morning with accumulating snow showers forecast for Leinster coastal counties overnight and during the morning:
    http://www.rte.ie/weather/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Looking like things could get hairy by tomorrow morning with accumulating snow showers forecast for Leinster coastal counties overnight and during the morning:
    http://www.rte.ie/weather/
    Yeah there was a good bit of snow tonight - I was on the bus from city centre to Bray - could not believe how quickly the bus driver drove along fresh snow on the N11 also the bus drivers told me a bus went skidding and sliding in Delgany, Co Wicklow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

congratulations to Dublin City council for wasting money during the good times by building loads of roundabouts in Housing Estates, the fuc*king morons. They're trecherous during this freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yeah there was a good bit of snow tonight - I was on the bus from city centre to Bray - could not believe how quickly the bus driver drove along fresh snow on the N11 also the bus drivers told me a bus went skidding and sliding in Delgany, Co Wicklow

Perhaps those two things are not unrelated ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

congratulations to Dublin City council for wasting money during the good times by building loads of roundabouts in Housing Estates, the fuc*king morons. They're trecherous during this freeze.
    'tis a Green Party plot don'tcha know ;) By not gritting/salting the housing estates where as it happens we're all living & parking our cars, we're being forced to leave our cars at home and walk for the maybe-cancelled bus :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement