Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen Coyle to Bolton?

• 01-01-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

According to SSN some bookies have suspended betting on him becoming the new manager at the Reebok. Anyone else think he would be absolutely daft to jump ship? I also can't imagine a Bolton side playing his style of football.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Hope not he's doing good job at burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Voltwad wrote: »
    According to SSN some bookies have suspended betting on him becoming the new manager at the Reebok. Anyone else think he would be absolutely daft to jump ship? I also can't imagine a Bolton side playing his style of football.

from coyle yesterday
    "I had a lot of fantastic times at Bolton and loved every minute," he added.

"But I love being at this football club and I have shown that.

"It is a fantastic job for someone out there but my focus is on doing the best against MK Dons this weekend.

"I have had speculation time and time again but, as always, I am concentrating on the job in hand."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Bolton would be a step backwards for Coyle at the moment. He's be mad to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I'm surprised they're even looking at bringing him in after his antics in a certain Thai Massage Parlour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He turned down Celtic in the summer, and I see that as being a bigger job than the bolton one. I can't see why he would now decide to jump ship to Bolton, when he is doing a very good job at Burnley. Would be better to stay where he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I know he was at Bolton as a player for a while but i can't see how that would be a big enough draw for him to ditch Burnely, for whom he is doing a great job, and move to one of their main rivals.

Unless they can promise him money which for some reason would make him imagine he would have a longer Premier League future at Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

He turned down Celtic in the summer, and I see that as being a bigger job than the bolton one. I can't see why he would now decide to jump ship to Bolton, when he is doing a very good job at Burnley. Would be better to stay where he is.
    Completely agree. Strange all this money being put on him. I reckon Peter Reid is a more likely candidate.

I reckon Peter Reid is a more likely candidate.

Good shout, although if I was Gartside I really wouldn't want Reid in charge of their transfer affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Epicurus wrote: »
    Bolton would be a step backwards for Coyle at the moment. He's be mad to go there.

Burnley: Population ~73k
    Bolton: Population ~140k

Turf Moor: 22.546
    Reebok Stadium: 28,723

Shortsightedness is something to be avoided at all costs. The Bolton job has more long term potential, is a bigger club. Coyle has achieved a huge amount at Burnley, but it will be hard to add to the team he has / keep it together in the medium term. While Bolton have a wage expenditure less than the Premieship average, it is much higher than what Burnley outlay.

If Coyle was offered a good compensatory package and certain guarantees from Bolton with respect to financial commitments and time to overhaul the squad - he would be mad not to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Turf Moor: 22.546
    Reebok Stadium: 28,723

If Coyle was offered a good compensatory package and certain guarantees from Bolton with respect to financial commitments and time to overhaul the squad - he would be mad not to go there.

Coyle has proven himself over the past few years to be one of the better young managers around. The way Burnley are playing at the moment, they'd have enough to stay up this year. I cant say the same about Bolton. Why would he want to drop down a level.

change club for bigger stadium capacity...he should go for the Darlington or Rotherham job then as well.

• Advertisement

When does the Reebok ever have 28k?

Epicurus wrote: »
    Coyle has proven himself over the past few years to be one of the better young managers around. The way Burnley are playing at the moment, they'd have enough to stay up this year. I cant say the same about Bolton. Why would he want to drop down a level.

change club for bigger stadium capacity...he should go for the Darlington or Rotherham job then as well.

It's not a change for a bigger stadium capacity. It's a change for a club that has much more potential to grow into. Staying up is surely the limit of what Burnley can achieve. Whereas we have seen that - with exceptional management - Bolton can trouble the top 8 of the Premiership and think about European football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah I agree with LL that Bolton are a much better prospect. Their position might look shaky now, but they've 2 games in hand that could lift them to mid table. They're an established premier league outfit with players that have more premier league experience than Burnley! Also more then 50% of teams get relagated within 2 years of promotion so it might be a smart move to jump ship on a high!

Anyway betfair are offering a very generous 4/5 compared to the general 2/5 from most other sites that are still betting.

It's not a change for a bigger stadium capacity. It's a change for a club that has much more potential to grow into. Staying up is surely the limit of what Burnley can achieve. Whereas we have seen that - with exceptional management - Bolton can trouble the top 8 of the Premiership and think about European football.
    The days of Big Sam, Jay-Jay Okocha are long gone. Bolton are inferior to at lease three quarters of the teams in the league at this point in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The days of Big Sam, Jay-Jay Okocha are long gone. Bolton are inferior to at lease three quarters of the teams in the league at this point in time.

1+

Burnley are on the same level to Bolton these days

If it has been done before, it can be done again. Big Sam is gone, and he has been replaced with inferior management. Hence results have disimproved. I'm sure Owen Coyle has the self confidence to belief he could be as good, if not better, a manager as Sam Allardyce. Otherwise he has no business being in the game at that level.

And the point is not that Bolton are inferior to teams right now, it is that they are currently superior to Burnley in pretty much every respect other than short term results and coaching staff. If Coyle did make the move, the balance of expectation in those areas would automatically tip over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If it has been done before, it can be done again. Big Sam is gone, and he has been replaced with inferior management. Hence results have disimproved. I'm sure Owen Coyle has the self confidence to belief he could be as good, if not better, a manager as Sam Allardyce. Otherwise he has no business being in the game at that level.

And the point is not that Bolton are inferior to teams right now, it is that they are currently superior to Burnley in pretty much every respect other than short term results and coaching staff. If Coyle did make the move, the balance of expectation in those areas would automatically tip over.

There is very little difference in their league positions given that Bolton have 2 games in hand, are only 2 points behind, and have a superior goal difference.

There is nothing to say Coyle would keep Bolton up, there is nothing to even say that Bolton are going down anyways.

I'd agree with you that Bolton are the bigger club, they have much better facilities, but i think that both clubs have the same future potential, in that if Coyle can better Big Sam at Bolton, then he can better him at Burnley too.

If i was Coyle, i wouldn't be thinking of switching between these two clubs, i think they are too similar to be making such a big decision out of it.

I certainly wouldn't be basing it on Town populations and stadium capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bolton are not a big club, I don't believe for one minute that Coyle would make that move, its a sideways move. Both teams are in the group of clubs that will constantly be fighting for survival in the Premier League.

I can't see in happening anyways, it would cost Bolton a fortune to get him. The dingles would not want their manager staying local with one of their relegation rivals if he does leave.

Just to add, and as much as I hate to give praise to anyone involved with Burnley, Owen Coyle is imo the best manager outside the top six clubs from the last couple of years.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just to add, and as much as I hate to give praise to anyone involved with Burnley, Owen Coyle is imo the best manager outside the top six clubs from the last couple of years.

Roy Hodgson, without a shadow of a doubt.

Advertisement