Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Free January

Options
  • 01-01-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have decided to stay off alcohol for the month of January. Its going to be tough but Im really determined to give it a shot.

Is there anyone else that is considering doing the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Most times I go to the pub, I stick to coke. 2.50 a feckin pop is a rip off though. Are you usually a pub drinker or offy drinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'd lay off the alcohol-free Pubs / Clubs for the month

This will open your eyes to the alternatives to the pubs:

Cinema
    Dinner
    Bowling/Pool
    Gigs
    Cheap weekend away

Good Luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Hi All,

I have decided to stay off alcohol for the month of January. Its going to be tough but Im really determined to give it a shot.

Is there anyone else that is considering doing the same thing?

Indeedly :D I had a completely sober New Year's Eve last night. My first ever. It was very strange. Usually I'm the guy passed out on the sofa at 23.59 :o But on Tuesday night I got so drunk that somewhere between my friend's house, which is only 5 mins walk away, and mine I fell and hit my head. I actually think it was on my own doorstep as there was a broken plant pot the next morning. Luckily I didn't sustain any serious injuries, just a bad scratch on my forehead.
    This was only the final nail in the coffin though. A few weeks ago when I was out, between 21.30 and 03.30 I had only 3 pints. I was very proud of myself, but unfortunately I realized just how crap some night clubs are. So, I'm thinking that this soberness might last beyond January but it's early days yet.
    Ok rant over :D
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sparklespark

Thanks for the support.

Im am very much a house drinker. I would think nothing of drinking 2 bottles of wine in one night. Therefore it has to stop. I want to wake up feeling fresh as a daisy with no hangover.

Looking forward to alcohol free Jan but I know its going to be tough!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thanks for the support.

Im am very much a house drinker. I would think nothing of drinking 2 bottles of wine in one night. Therefore it has to stop. I want to wake up feeling fresh as a daisy with no hangover.

Two bottles of wine in one night. that is a lot. Trick is to phase that out gradually. For me its coffee. Cant go without my morning cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

Two bottles of wine in one night. that is a lot. Trick is to phase that out gradually. For me its coffee. Cant go without my morning cuppa.

Well I think you have to put things in perspective, two bottles of wine every night or 4 pints every night might be a lot for some people, others may be quite able to handle it, get all the house work done and not suffer in their life or bring suffering to others as a consequence of consuming said amount. However abstaining and forgoing drink or indeed any of our vices/luxuries/indulgencies is no harm and a great learing mechanism.

On the issue of coffee, I also adore coffee and at one time would drink anywhere between 5 to 12 cups a day. I have always been very high energy and over productive so vast amounts of caffeine suit/suited me.

My coffee consumption has reduced greatly in recent years but not by my direct action or conscious decision it just reduced of its own accord. Why is it, do you think, that we always feel we must give up or reduce that which we enjoy? Oh I drink too much coffee, well at least you dont smoke too much, shop lift incessantly or a lot of other far worse things? Perhaps we should be allowed a number of "OK" vices, coffee, chocolate, cakes, telly, web surfing, fairly harmless treasures and treats.

Oh and also I had a sober new years and loved it, walked home in the snow it was delightful. I decided in early December to give up drink for 2010. New Years was a major challenge but I managed it. I wont be heart broken if I fail to complete the full 365 day challenge but Im confident enough Ill do it. I have marathons Triatalons and job hunting to fill my time.

Tell me does boards non drinking group arrange drink free events anymore? A trip to the theatre? The Dublin Ghost bus tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Thanks for the support.

I'm up there with the two bottles myself and it has to stop. Anyone have any ideas what I should stock up on to drink instead of alcohol to give me "something to do with me hands" ??? :D

Night out - I did the Ghost bus a while back, very good, historical and interesting. A bit short though, about 90 minutes.

Going to try and stick out the month, I have to go to a wedding in February though so will probably make that my next drinking night!

Good luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Most times I go to the pub, I stick to coke. 2.50 a feckin pop is a rip off though. Are you usually a pub drinker or offy drinker?

Hi, if you go to pub with 3 friends who are drinking they Coca Cola give free drinks to the non alcohol drinker. http://www.designateddriver.ie. Really it does work.

Not sure if in 2010 its still working, but I got free drinks for the last number of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Its going to be tough

.... if you find it difficult then it may mean you already have a drinking problem. Alcoholics never say they have a problem. If you can go a month without alcohol and not find it hard then you may not have a problem, if you find yourself thinking about drink when you are stressed afterwork they you are addicted in some form. at the end of the day its a drug, if you consume it regularly you become addicted.

Well today is Day 2. Feel a lot better today than I did this time yesterday morning. Have intended to be flat out sewing, housework, reading to keep me busy.

I am drinking water and lemon which does seem to be nice refreshing drink.

I admire you all that also are abstaining from alcohol for the month of January.

I dont think I am addicted to alcohol but to be honest the only way of proving this to myself is to stay off it for a month.

Thanking you all for positive feedback.

• Advertisement

I'll be joining you on this mission! The hangovers just aren't worth it! For January at least but I'm going to try push it out for as long as possible. 1 month at a time!

Ok so the following of us are going to try and be alcohol free in Jan

1. Sparklespark - moi
    2. Lollymcd
    3. Whoopsadaisydoodles

Anyone else care to join in?

Just back from town. Got them detox foot patches to try on - meant to leave you feeling more energised. Ah well ill try it!

Going to cook a nice meal tonight and then bed early. Maybe even make mass in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Im doing it too. Ive no doubt I can do it but the only set back will be the whole going out thing. I just pretty much wont be going out to pubs, or at least definitely not clubs anyway cos I just cant stand them when I'm sober. I'll still go to gigs and stuff though but I'm assuming its going to be a fairly quiet month for me. But thats ok actually cos I'm sick of drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

I think everyone in Ireland should do what you're doing and I wish you the very best of luck. You can do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Im doing it too. Ive no doubt I can do it but the only set back will be the whole going out thing. I just pretty much wont be going out to pubs, or at least definitely not clubs anyway cos I just cant stand them when I'm sober. I'll still go to gigs and stuff though but I'm assuming its going to be a fairly quiet month for me. But thats ok actually cos I'm sick of drinking.

Take the money you would have spent on drink and treat yourself and a friend to a movie and a nice meal in a fancy restaurant. Or save up the cash and take a short holiday to somewhere you've always wanted to go.

The more people that decide to break out of the pub scene, the more enjoyable it will be to have a sober night out for everyone.

Got them detox foot patches to try on - meant to leave you feeling more energised. Ah well ill try it!
    What an interesting concept, let me know how it goes, I might give it a whirl.

Today is Day 3. Feeling good and glad not to be hungover on a Sunday (what a change! ) . Will be glad to get back to work tomorrow to get into routine.

Foot patches
    Lollymcd wrote: »
    What an interesting concept, let me know how it goes, I might give it a whirl.

The footpatches were 25 euros. Put them on acupunture points when I went to bed (and socks to keep them on) and they were black this morning when I took them off. Seeminly they are to remove toxins from the body. Im going to try them for another 2 nights to see if I can feel the benefit.

Think Ill head out for a walk later to get some air around.

Hope you are all keeping well!!

Day 3... Haven't been here in a while! Couldn't sleep last night, brain working overtime and basically I hadn't drunk enough to pass out!!! I was in the pub last night and ordered a soda and lime! Felt a bit like my gran but it actually tasted nice. Not sure how I feel about going back to work, I usually have a beer or 6 to unwind, I work with teenagers! Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

Keep up the good work everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Doing something similar, have drunk enough over the last month or so, should do me good too.... will post periodically to say how I'm doing.... =)

I've got to go to a party on Saturday so that'll be tough. Not the not drinking as much as the listening to drunk people waffling :pac:

Also, the ladies lounge are organising a beers so I'll find that strange too!

• Advertisement

Noffles wrote: »
    Doing something similar, have drunk enough over the last month or so, should do me good too.... will post periodically to say how I'm doing.... =)

Well done Noffles, welcome to the gang!

No beer after work today and I don't feel as bad as I thought I would Yay!

Still having trouble sleeping but rubbing lavendar on my temples and it's helping a little.

How are the foot patches going sparlespark?

Hi All

Didnt have my usual wine last night. Usually with being back to work I would definately have to have a bottle on a Sunday night so that I could sleep. Still didnt sleep well though. Foot patches were even darker colour this morning than they were yesterday morning! They are meant to be getting lighter!

Felt good getting up this morning though didnt have to push the snooze button the usual 10 times.

Welcome Nuffles to the thread. Wishing you the best of luck.

Lollymcd - Well done not having a beer today especially after your first day back.

Hope you are all keeping well and finding it ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

need to polish off all the remaining xmas drink before i start:)

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    need to polish off all the remaining xmas drink before i start:)

I was thinking of doing the same, I have three cases of beer, half a dozen bottles of wine and an open bottle of cava slowly going off in the fridge (opened it New Years Eve just before I passed out) but I figured there would always be some excuse or another! No time like the present! May throw a party in February to use it all up, but only if I make it through January alcohol free! And it will be Club Lemon for me!!!!

Good going sparkespark, I must do some research and see if sleeplessness is to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Doing this myself at the mo, although I am aimin to give it up permanently. Drink does me no favours.:(

Hi All,

Are you finding this tough?

Would have loved to have had a glass of wine when I got home from work after driving them icy roads. Lay down for an hour instead.

Have never drank as much tea before.

Slept great though last night and was very alert this morning.

Why does there have to be 31 days in January:)

OMG it's tough! I was fantasizing about beer last night!!!

I was in work early this morning, First time that's happened in a long time, haven't really had a bad day yet so that will be the real test.

Still proud of myself though! Five who days without a drink !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

I fantasize about beer all the time :p There's nothing nicer than having an ice-cold bottle of miller in my hand, sometimes I almost don't want to drink it ;)
    Last time I drank was this day last week :cool: I have been tempted since, and almost went to a few pints with my brother on Sunday, but I was strong. I'd say it will be another week or so before I notice a difference though.
    Well done to everyone who's made it this far! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi guys

stayed off booze for 31 days last year as I was training, turned out it was 5 frickin weekends!!!! (and for those of you thinking its not a big deal staying off it for a month... consider that most social engagements revolve around it)

Anyway, I normally drink a fair amount, love drinking pints and talking crap with my mates.. sometimes as much as 4-5 times a week and normally between 6 - 12 or more at a time.

to be honest, the 1st week to ten days were the worst, I went to a gig and 2 nights out without a drop BUT... I can honestly say I never felt better,, weight feel off (just dont swap booze for food) and when my training was over (ran a marathon) I did of course go on a right session.. but nowadays I find it easier to go without a drink for a few days or a weekend at a time. Christmas wasnt half as crazy as other years and now January isnt as bad as other years.. coincidence?? I dont think so

Best of luck to you all.. no bother to ye!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

How are you guys finding it? It's not so bad so far anyway. I have to work this weekend too and I never drink when I'm working at the weekend so it won't be anything out of the norm.

I've started drinking this as well: http://www.robert-roberts.ie/cms_rr/index.php?page=powerscourt-detox-tea

It's gorgeous. :)

I'm feeling a couple of years younger to be honest!

Advertisement