Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Free January

Comments

It's not bothering me too much. My biggest problem with not drinking is when other people are so Saturday will be a pain but it's only a couple of hours and then it'll be over.

I did have a craving for a baileys last night, but that's because someone was talking about it, went away pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I can't believe how much time I spend drinking, so much free time now, mostly spent thinking about how much I'd love a beer/glass of wine!!! Things going good otherwise, sleeping is easier, so is getting up in the morning, which makes the whole thing worthwhile. Interesting about that tea, I must look out for it in the supermarket.

Keep up the good work everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sparklespark

LollyMcD - you are right about having soo much free time on your hands in the evenings.

I find that doing things now isnt as much as an effort as it use to be. Just a simple task of dishes, housework or packing to go away used to be such a hassle and effort but now that I am not drinking I have the energy to do it and it doesnt seem like a big job.

Tonight is my usualy night for unwinding with wine. I know when i get home ill be thinking about having a glass of wine. Im still determined not to though. As I wasn to get up early and head away (weather permitting!).

I think if the weather was better I could do a lot more things in the evening with my free time.

Sleep great now to be honest. HAve proper dreams now - not scary weird dreams!

How are you all getting on. Hope you are all keeping well.

Well boys and girls, it's the weekend!

Best of luck!

I'm definitely driving tomorrow night so that I will have no choice but to resist temptation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

So I went to see Christy Moore last night in Vicar Street. Great concert but the bar was closed during it so the 3 friends I was with got 2 pints each. Afterward we went to a few bars and I have to say I wasn't tempted in the slightest at any time during the evening :cool: I think what I will find hard though is on Wednesday nights when I'm at home watching a DVD or something. In the past I'd usually have gotten 6 bottles of Miller and 2 cans of Bulmers Pear (I LIKE IT OK!:mad::p) I'm sure I'll get cravings for beer soon enough. But so far so good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I caved last night and had some wine. Argh!

Time to start again. :)

[-0-] wrote: »
    I caved last night and had some wine. Argh!

Time to start again. :)

Me too. I had a west coast cooler :(

Friday night for me was the worst for craving alcohol. Had ribena with sparkling water from a wine glass - refreshing. Gave me something to do with my hands. Last night was fine for me as I wasnt out. Could murder a bottle of wine now though.

But now have settled for a greasy bag of chips instead.

Best of luck eveyone. I know its tough.

Hey whoopsadaisydoodles and [-0-] bad luck but I hope you're able to start over, I know how easy it would be to give in, it's happened to me a few times over the years, never got this far though!

10 days and counting, I haven't really been challenged yet but I have mad cravings! Can't believe this is my second sober weekend in a row!!!

V cool

Keep it up folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Hey just wanna say congrats to everyone who's off the booze so far

whoopsiedaisydoodles and [-0-] hard luck on cavin in, but don't worry. Get back on the horse!

So has anyone tried any of the non-alcoholic beers or wines to help with cravings?
    I've heard that some of them are really nice

Good luck!! :)

• Advertisement

unreggd wrote: »
    Hey just wanna say congrats to everyone who's off the booze so far

whoopsiedaisydoodles and [-0-] hard luck on cavin in, but don't worry. Get back on the horse!

So has anyone tried any of the non-alcoholic beers or wines to help with cravings?
    I've heard that some of them are really nice

Good luck!! :)

Never thought of doing this, what's out there? Becks, Erdinger, is Kaliber still around? (remember the ad with Billy Connelly) Has anyone any recomendations? I've heard alcohol free wine is gross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I've heard alcohol free wine is gross!
    I don't like wine, but I had Red Grape Juice from Tesco and it tasted the same as wine!

So I'm sure there's some nice NA Wines about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Hey Folks,
    Staying off the beer for the Month of Jan also. Well i started last Sunday so it's 8 days thus far. It happens that the missus is off it also as she won't have a drink if i'm not drinking.
    The thing is though, we have a christening this Saturday and inviting relations to our gaff for a bit of grub and all that. It's going to be near impossible not to have a beer..arggg..
    It's probably easier just to have a few and not have to listen to all the bull**** about why im not drinking..I dunno, what ye think??

The reason I actually caved on saturday wasn't anything to do with the alcohol itself. It was because two of the girls beside me were drinking West Coast Cooler Rose and it just smelled so nice! It was about 11 when I finally caved and just had the one. Up until that point I was having a perfectly fun night, just as much fun as I normally would! Pity I couldn't have just done without.

Anyway, my point is (yes there is one!) is that if it weren't for the taste of the drink I wouldn't have bothered, if it's the taste of beer you like try the NA type, the erdinger is supposed to be even nicer than the alcoholic version! Also, if you're drinking that, noone is to know that you're "not drinking" you can keep a little stash of your own stuff hidden ;)

Hi All,

Well done to everyone that is still off the booze.

To those that fell at a hurdle get back up. You can start again. Dont be hard on yourself as at least you are trying to improve. Better luck next time. Did the booze taste as good as you thought?

Im still craving for a drink. After work is the toughest time for me.

There is a program on tonight on Network 2 at 10:30 called Stone Cold Sober. Its about 6 people that give up booze for 6 months. 6 months! Imagine. Im trying for 31 days and its tough.

Ok hope all is well. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'm giving up drink until the end of April. I've pretty much been off it since 1st November already (only drank twice in that time period). Being in college makes it tough enough but I'm a bit sick of the whole drinking scene to be honest, same old crap over and over again. Not giving it up forever, just thought I could do with a break from it all.

Hi Guys

Nearly at the two week mark, i hope everyone is doing well. How do you all feel?

I tried finding the tea suggested earlier ( http://www.robert-roberts.ie/cms_rr/...ourt-detox-tea) but couldn't find it anywhere, I ended up getting a detox tea called Dr Stuarts. It's ok, a bit too sweet for my liking, they use corn silk as a sweetner and it's a bit sickly. The thing is though, I have broken out in spots.... argh! I don't know if it's the tea (doing it's job) or if it's because I haven't been drinking and my system is breathing a sigh of relief and kicking out all the toxins. I'm not too happy but it's not going to make me go back on the grog before the end of the month!!!

Best of luck everyone!

;)

The reason I actually caved on saturday wasn't anything to do with the alcohol itself. It was because two of the girls beside me were drinking West Coast Cooler Rose and it just smelled so nice! It was about 11 when I finally caved and just had the one. Up until that point I was having a perfectly fun night, just as much fun as I normally would! Pity I couldn't have just done without.

Anyway, my point is (yes there is one!) is that if it weren't for the taste of the drink I wouldn't have bothered, if it's the taste of beer you like try the NA type, the erdinger is supposed to be even nicer than the alcoholic version! Also, if you're drinking that, noone is to know that you're "not drinking" you can keep a little stash of your own stuff hidden ;)

I caved because the my mother opened the 300 euro bottle of wine I got her and she wanted me to have a glass, seeing as I bought it. A worthy reason to cave I guess.

It's my mate's birthday this weekend but I can do the whole going out and not drinking thing pretty easily. I'm pretty confident I can do this. Here's to a sober weekend. :)

I caved because the my mother opened the 300 euro bottle of wine I got her and she wanted me to have a glass, seeing as I bought it. A worthy reason to cave I guess.

Holy be to god! If there was ever a reason to have a drink, that be it!

€50 a glass. Janey mac, hope it was nice :p

I feel bad for drinking my west coast cooler now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

I have been successfully off booze for the 13 days of January thus far and hope to make it through the year without caving, though a 300 euro bottle of wine would be hard enough to resist.

Two different friends (as in from different groups) have challenged my year off booze in saying the challenge is not to abstain but to drink modrately and enjoy a glass or two of wine and no more.

I agree with them, drinking really is a greater challenge than binging or fasting, as when you are moderating theres always a risk of going one or two rinks too far and then it's all over.

That said I didnt decide to stop drinking because I think I have an issue with it or because I dont trust myself to drink in moderation properly, I went off it fir loads of reasons the main one being a need to focus more on sports but also to veer away from the pressures of our pub culture to literally pour your life away in pints of stout.

I may return to drink in 2011 I may not but my friends inability to see my point and support me is in itself a great challenge. It's hard enough giving up booze not to mind explaining and justifying your position repeatedly. There may come a day I just invent an appropriate excuse to be a non drinker but that raises even more concerns.

Well done everyone who has got this far in January and for those who have had a sneaky one or two, you can't blame yourself totally, we are surrounded by well meaning friends opening bottles and pulling pints a plenty. Forgive yourself and start again its only 18 days til Feb.

• Advertisement

Holy be to god! If there was ever a reason to have a drink, that be it!

€50 a glass. Janey mac, hope it was nice :p

I feel bad for drinking my west coast cooler now :o

I really didn't want her to open it but that was just me being selfish because she had a very good reason to celebrate. :o

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I've had a chat with all of my mates and most of them don't want to drink until Paddy's day in March. We are all in our mid twenties (26/27) and kind of realised that we all drink a bit too much. We're not 18-21 anymore, or in college. We all have jobs with responsibilities, some of us have kids, etc so this really is such a relief for me that the lads want to do this as well. Mind you, they are drinking this weekend as it is one of their birthdays and that's cool. This is a lot easier knowing my mates feel the same/similar to myself. :)

I really didn't want her to open it but that was just me being selfish because she had a very good reason to celebrate. :o

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I've had a chat with all of my mates and most of them don't want to drink until Paddy's day in March. We are all in our mid twenties (26/27) and kind of realised that we all drink a bit too much. We're not 18-21 anymore, or in college. We all have jobs with responsibilities, some of us have kids, etc so this really is such a relief for me that the lads want to do this as well. Mind you, they are drinking this weekend as it is one of their birthdays and that's cool. This is a lot easier knowing my mates feel the same/similar to myself. :)

€300 bottle of wine... you're forgiven !!! (was it nice???):) It's great that your mates are going to support you, it makes it so much easier, Supercereal, it's hard when you have to justify something like giving up drink, people can get very defensive. My OH keeps asking me do I want a beer/glass of wine when he is getting himself one, I know he's just being polite but arghhh, don't tempt me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Just spoted this thread....i know it's half way through but i might join yous....gave up last year for a month and felt great..

Lollymcd wrote: »
    €300 bottle of wine... you're forgiven !!! (was it nice???):) It's great that your mates are going to support you, it makes it so much easier, Supercereal, it's hard when you have to justify something like giving up drink, people can get very defensive. My OH keeps asking me do I want a beer/glass of wine when he is getting himself one, I know he's just being polite but arghhh, don't tempt me!!!

It was lovely! Probably even moreso because I knew it was my last hehe. :pac:

Thanks for the support guys. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I'm trying to stay fresh for january mainly coz I smoke when I drink so really want to finish with that episode, love the clear head every morning but have been seriously tempted on a number of occasions and had a few last weekend but will just run it into feb instead of giving up

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

I'm going to join in a little late here too! I stopped drinking 2 days after Christmas following my second "never again" hangover in a week. Have said this SO many times so am making it stick now.

So far so good, the first couple of weeks were hard, really missed my glass (bottle) of wine in the evening, the snow and cold weather hasn't helped either, a glass ofw ine is the perfect partner to a roaring fire (any excuse). However, still off, not a drop passed my lips and am feeling great for it, no ropey head in the mornings and more money in my pocket.

Was expecting to loose wieght, but I think I have been compensating for lack of wine with food :o

2 weeks guys, 2 weeks aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Welcome to all who have joined!

Still having an odd craving now and again but feel great, I think (hope) I have passed the really tough part, how are you guys doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I have a big walk planned with friends for sunday morning so that's good motivation for a clean saturday night......Was thinking of putting a jar to one side to save any money that would usualy be spent on beers (although at this rate, that could be paying the gas bill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i just discovered this thread.i started january with the same intention but pure boredom lead me to break it last friday, wasnt even worth it, the pub was dead. saturday i went to the cinema to stop temptation (avatar-brilliant). anyways i dont have a problem, during the week but once firday hits, its weird, i feel like i should be out on the beer or im missing out!

anyway i should be ok this weekend, dentist thursday for a check-up but if he does do some work i probably wont be able to drink at the weekend! a lot easier if ive no choice in the matter.

• Advertisement

Well I've done ok so far - had one glass of west coast cooler since the first of the month. Discovered a lovely non alcholic drink at the weekend called soft brew in M&S, it's a fruity beery drink!

I'd say I'll break it now on the 29th with the Ladies Lounge beers but will see!

Advertisement