Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options
  • 01-01-2010 5:31pm

Hi folks,I thought a separate thread for people to post about road conditions would be a good idea for anyone brave enough to venture out on them.

I can start by telling you I've just driven on the old N11 from the kish roundabouts south exit of the Arklow by pass to Inch and it is definitely the worst I've seen it.
    It's like the main road into Greenland.
    Cars are doing a crawl and some are not making it up or down the railway hill due to the compacted snow and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Well I stayed in arklow last night..........got a shock to see snow when I got up, I live in conary, so made it to avoca no problem, but had to abandon my car half way home and walk the rest of the way :mad: and with a hangover at that :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Attrocious here near Malahide. No thaw all day. Cars getting stuck on the Ice and lethal for walking. Really attrocious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sort of a Leinster/Midlands vs west/south coast thing. The roads are quite dry along the west south coast and so is the air. The Roads should not be too bad overnight.

Further east the roads are damp/wet/frozen and will freeze hard overnight .

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0101/weather.html

( West Galway is fine I was in Clifden this morning, they must mean East Galway and North Galway ...inland)

Gardaí and the AA are advising against any unnecessary travel in counties Carlow, Laois, Offaly, Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Galway, Meath, Louth, Kildare, Dublin, Wexford and Wicklow, due to extremely poor driving conditions.

The motorways west of Dublin are ALL in a state according to AA Roadwatch.

Read this and keep up to date if travelling. If planning to travel this weekend then the only long route that is feasible is Derry - Cork via Galway and points west of that and THEN in daytime once the thaw sets in post 10am. If the freezing fog lingers do not travel.

READ

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

Pretty bad around parts of Cabinteely/Foxrock area. Cornelscourt Hill - which is a busy route leading up to the M50 was impassable for a lot of cars this afternoon. The main problem area was at the second roundabout as you go up the hill. Very steep here - saw lots of cars sliding backwards - mainly smaller hatchbacks but also a Merc with four adults in it which couldn't budge. Of course guys in the bigger 4x4's went around this guy on the wrong side of the road causing no lilttle panic in cars coming down the hill!

One poor girl in a Fiesta got as far as the roundabout - car wouldn't move any further so she slid back a bit and tried to do a U-turn without succeeding for as long as I was there.

It can only get worse later on tonight!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Travelled this morning from Navan to Dunshaughlin, roads are Dangerous for 3km on the appraoch to Dunshaughlin from the Navan direction. Dont know whats it like from Dunshaughlin to Dublin. Lagore road around Dunshaughlin is covered in ice and snow with no thaw. Saw the AA pulling a car out of a ditch 1km from dunshaughlin on way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just drove Killarney to Cork city. The road between Ballincollig bypass and Lissarda has sheets of ice in places. There's freezing fog and plenty of snow and ice on county bounds but if you take care it seems fine to drive on.

Care all round I'd say.

Oh and to all those idiots in there celtic tiger bought 4wd's that are still driving round like Michael Schumacer...you are not immune to the ice because your in a big, fancy jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

No thaw really here. Car has some safety thing which cannot be turned off. ( its actually more dangerous than safe IMO) max car will do is 20km once it feels slippy. 2 inch ice still down the main road into town .. Advice to self - just leave car at home..... But one thing I will say... will all those tools booting it around the place seriously cop on..... You are not experienced to drive in these conditions.... The ice is dangerous... The roads are lethal & you will honestly end up killing yourself or someone else if you dont use your brain... Himself is a precision driver & said earlier not a hope in hell the car was going back on the road for the time being.... & since the local coco sold the gritter there will be no gritting done anywhere within the town tonight .. Basicly just avoid anywhere south of the town off the killarney rd.. Take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire and Killiney area very poor, really deteriorated in the last hour or two as it ices over. In a couple of spots I had no grip/control whatsoever. No way am I going back out in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Happy new year all.

Just back from Carlingford county Louth. Drove on M1 and took the Ardee exit for home. Then on the N52 for Kells before taking the R162 for Navan. I then branched of that road and on to a minor road for home.

Although later hearing a warning on the radio about the strech of M1 between Carlingford and Ardee I found it grand. There was no lying snow on the roads, hard shoulder or landscape (apart from the Cooley mountains of course) between Carlingford and 2km north of the Ardee exit (N33).

I found the roads quite slippy between Ardee and home. I took it very very handy. The car wavered ever so slightly on me even going at a slow speed. When I got home I measured the depth of snow which had fallen: 1cm
    That was on the roof of a car. There was no snow lying on the fields but there was snow on the roads.

A cm of snow fell and left the roads treacherous. I dread to think what a few cm more would have done. Normally though such a small amount of snow would be gone from the roads but I suppose it remained due to the fact that the roads are so cold.

Advice: take her handy folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Roads are quite dry here in Galway but still some surprise black ice patches on secondaries which need to be looked out for. Pavements are still very slippy in places so walking with extreme care is still advised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Happy New Year to all!

I spent last night in Birr and drove back at lunchtime today. The M6 and M4 are a disgrace. At one point on the M6 there were 3 accidents within about 1km, including a car on its roof on the westbound carriageway. There's been absolutely no treatment of those roads. On some of the M6 the sun had thawed it but the eastbound overtaking lane was treacherous as the central median was keeping it in the shade. Of course some were still overtaking at speed, but at least it was bright and they could see. Now in the dark I think there will be more accidents unless they get the finger out and grit it.

The M4 from Enfield in was at a crawl, compacted snow and slush. Are there no snowplughs in the country? No gritters? I know about the countless communities in the west and north that have been banging on about this for 2 weeks now, and I fully agree with them. They say they're giving priority to the main roads - well that would include the M4 and M6 wouldn't it?

Here around Celbridge there are about 2cms of snow, no thaw all day so the roads and estates are great fun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would this not be better in motors?

Anyway in D.15 most roads don't seem to be gritted. Or maybe they did it too early I dunno. Compacted snow is causing people problem on hills, bridges, and all those dips and ramps on and off the M50. Roads slippy all over. I would avoid going on the road unless you have to.

Didn't seem to stop one guy overtaking 2 cars on the N3 in the non cleared lane then sliding all the way up the lights. Muppet. Even if you drive carefully, theres a lot of daft driving going on out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

There should be emergency funding given to the county councils from central government so they can treat the roads effectively. They are rationing the resourses they have. But we have a exceptionally long cold snap here with little thawing and it is clear they are massively under resourced to deal with the situation. A little more urgency is needed to save lives!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

malman wrote: »
    There should there be emergency funding given to the county councils from central government so they can treat the roads effectively. They are rationing the resourses they have. But we have a exceptionally long cold snap here with little thawing and it is clear they are massively under resourced to deal with the situation. A little more urgency is needed to save lives!

+1

-0.9c atm. Max today of 0.0c! Just back from the city centre and drove (well have drove and half slid) from Luas in Sandyford to here - amazed at the lack of a thaw today and equally amazed that some of the main roads had not been treated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

malman wrote: »
    There should there be emergency funding given to the county councils from central government so they can treat the roads effectively. They are rationing the resourses they have. But we have a exceptionally long cold snap here with little thawing and it is clear they are massively under resourced to deal with the situation. A little more urgency is needed to save lives!

Sadly the Emergency Planning Committee are on holidays at the moment and won't return to work until next week at the earliest...only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Waterford City to Dunmore East is icy and dangeros in places especially before the turn off to Woodstown. Be careful easpecially as its freezing hard now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

roads are fairly dry around Doneraile but still patches of ice around.Heavy fog here for the last 3 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

West dublin lucan, tallaght, liffey valley ect doesnt appear to have been gritted at all, main routes are very bad so i can only assume they'l be worse again later with a freeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Co. Kildare: Just got back from a friend's using the R445 (what was the N78 Athy). The old N78 didn't look gritted to me but was melted in places, some parts quite icy, tho. The old N9, now bypassed and called the R448, seemed gritted and better, though I wouldn't chance it if you don't have to. The road to Calverstown off the old N78 definitely hasn't been gritted and was getting really bad. Glad to see so many taking it slow.

eireal wrote: »
    West dublin lucan, tallaght, liffey valley ect doesnt appear to have been gritted at all, main routes are very bad so i can only assume they'l be worse again later with a freeze

Ditto Castleknock/Blanch. Hardly anywhere seems to be gritted. Very slippy in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

Just Drove Coolock to Lucan via town

all pretty bad, especially the n4 which is solid ice from South Circular to Lucan..

few pricks speeding and flashing people to get out of their way. Glad to see one crash into the barrier devide (not bad but everyone who passed him then, beeped him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Does anyone know of anywhere that has actually been treated?
    i was talking to a taxi man there & he has gone home . Twice he spun the car 360 deg in 2 seperate parts of Dublin. Cabinteely hill was a write off, Ardmore in Bray impassible ( what tool would attempt to go up it in that weather anyway - the 4 pratts who were crashing into each other i suppose), Ballybrack village bad, Blackrock to stillorgan bad, Monkstown solid... seems tobe a nightmare out there now.. But in all those areas not 1 road gritted????????:eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

jenzz wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anywhere that has actually been treated?
    i was talking to a taxi man there & he has gone home . Twice he spun the car 360 deg in 2 seperate parts of Dublin. Cabinteely hill was a write off, Ardmore in Bray impassible ( what tool would attempt to go up it in that weather anyway - the 4 pratts who were crashing into each other i suppose), Ballybrack village bad, Blackrock to stillorgan bad, Monkstown solid... seems tobe a nightmare out there now.. But in all those areas not 1 road gritted????????:eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad:

dublin too lasy/no money to grit. just past the ski slope at kilternan hotel where the dublin/wicklow border is, the gritting starts. Wicklow Co Co are gritting and dublin are not. right on the border the gritting stops.

A good few muppets around alright. So even if your ok driving on snow/ice. one of these might run into you. So watch out for that, or just avoid going out. I won't be going out again unless I have too. Not that much snow so amazed it stuck. But with out grit it having an impact far worse than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone who does that flashing people lark in this sort of weather should be arrested and done for dangerous driving. Happened to me last night (was dangerously overtaken and tailgated for a bit) and it's bloody distracting in conditions that need all your concentration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

jenzz wrote: »
    Cabinteely hill was a write off,

Just been out there trying to push a guy's car - not a chance! Some cars are making it up but it's bound to get worse. Avoid. Also the road in The Park estate leading up to the Spar, school etc. is like Smithfield on Ice! Car stuck at the top right now.

Took me 3 or 4 attempts to get out of the local hotel car park, which is uphill. Needed a decent run and just scrambled over. After that I avoided any hills I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

N2 around Finglas is appalling, even worse once you get off the main road.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Drove from Firhouse to Trim this afternoon, so M50 north, then N3 as far as Fairyhouse junction, then R154 to Trim. That stretch of M50 was ok, one or two lanes driveable, not sure if it had been gritted or if the earlier traffic had just done the work. Some idiots still driving too fast, mainly 4x4 drivers with that "I'm invincible" feeling.

N3 was pretty bad past Blanchardstown, didn't appear to have been gritted, lots of frozen snow/slush. Fine if keeping a slow speed. Cleared up a bit past Clonee - looks to have been less snowfall past that point. However, there might be less snow, but some stretches are lethal - was crawling all the way back to Trim on R154, and could feel the car slide a bit on spots that were in the shade. You come to a good stretch and all seems fine, then you hit a shady spot and it's a different story.

I assume all that will all freeze over again tonight - I'd say the roads will be exceptionally bad in the morning. Take care out there folks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The road from the Naas road (Kill exit) to Straffan was extremely dangerous today. And yet there were still idiots out in force.
    Coming up to the very steep, humpbacked bridge over the canal, the 4x4 in front of me decided that indicators were optional when turning right on the bridge, forcing me to almost stop on the steep incline. And of course the 4x4 behind was less than sympathetic, driving as close to my bumper as possible as my poor Skoda Fabia somehow slip-slided its way over the brow of the hill.
    A northern registered HGV then tail gated me after that 4x4 had overtaken me.

Advertisement