Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

The Dublin City Traffic Camera site comes in handy for a quick M50 status update:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Hey Guys,

Have to head to Limerick later from Mullingar, anybody got update on that route please? Not looking forward to it!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

For anyone who's interested I'm just back in Dublin 18 after coming from Dundrum shopping centre. I came up the Sandyford road and it's grand. It's a little slushy in places, other places is wet but not icy. There are certain parts of it that are getting the sunshine and others which are sheltered by trees.

Driving down the side of the Beacon complex in Sandyford though, the road is a bit worse. It seems to be very well sheltered from the sun so I took it carefully, although once you get onto the main road where the Luas is there, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

How about the Sandyford road down into Dundrum? Any idea what its like?
    For anyone who's interested I'm just back in Dublin 18 after coming from Dundrum shopping centre. I came up the Sandyford road and it's grand. It's a little slushy in places, other places is wet but not icy. There are certain parts of it that are getting the sunshine and others which are sheltered by trees.

Driving down the side of the Beacon complex in Sandyford though, the road is a bit worse. It seems to be very well sheltered from the sun so I took it carefully, although once you get onto the main road where the Luas is there, it's fine.

Sandyford Road has been fine all week. I've been using it every day to and from work. The hill out of Sandyford village southbound can be a little icy, but if you keep a steady pace its grand. They seem to be gritting the village fairly infrequently. All other parts look to be done on a fairly regular basis (including plowing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Have to get from Ballsbridge to Navan tomorrow afternoon by car. What do yous think ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 quiff001

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me what the M4 and M6 motorway is like from lexlip to westmeath is it very icy has it been salted will be drivining that way about 3 pm today.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

quiff001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me what the M4 and M6 motorway is like from lexlip to westmeath is it very icy has it been salted will be drivining that way about 3 pm today.

Thanks guys.

We,ve been taking deliveries from Dublin all morning and the drivers are saying that the motorway is fine, its Dublin thats the prob, as always;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

No mention of Rathdrum or Glenealy in aaroadwatch update. Need to travel through there to get to Dublin tomorrow from Aughrim. Anyone any info? Cheers.

Anyone else got any info for the roads between Aughrim and Rathnew? Im heading from Rathdrum to Bray this afternoon so assuming the N11 will be passable if icy in places, just getting there thats worrying me? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Abrean wrote: »
    Anyone else got any info for the roads between Aughrim and Rathnew? Im heading from Rathdrum to Bray this afternoon so assuming the N11 will be passable if icy in places, just getting there thats worrying me? Thanks!
    I've just met a courior who came from Glenealy and the road is passable, but I have report that is interesting.

I drove to Ashford this morning at about 10.30 from the Rathnew/newcastle road. Mostly pack ice and rutted but little issue with traction.

Just did same route at 1430 to meet courier and the road is awful and traction was a real problem in places and I had to travel half the speed.
    There has been a partial thaw in the sunshine, this has flowed down unto sub zero temperature road and is now black ice.

The roads will get worse before they get better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Dublin-Stillorgan-Mountmerrion-Roebuck

Some small details: Estates are slippery. Rock Road is fine. New road from Monkstown to Stillorgan was ok, with a little care. N11 around Stillorgan is fine. Mount Merrion (from Stillorgan over the Deer Park and down towards Foster Ave) wasn't too bad this morning at 0800, I guess it's better now. Road from there to Foster Motors crossroads (Calary Rd?) was v. slippy this morning, showing no signs of grit. Roebuck Road was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Wicklow - Rathdrum - Garryduff/Stump Rd/Laragh area

The main road to Rathdrum from Rathnew seems to be fairly ok, if driven with care.

The Stump road from Rathdrum to Garryduff Crossroads is 4WD only, unless you're pretty confident and have good insurance. So is the Barnbawn Rd from Glenealy to Garryduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Does anyone have an update on the road over bray head to greystones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Need to fly out of Dublin airport tomorrow @ 10AM, means leaving Wicklow town about 6:30AM.
    Good idea?
    Or check into a hotel at the airport tonight?

Anyone out around the airport early this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

hmmm, the roads are gettign fairly frozen over now...so it's a sticky one...leave early in the morning...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keano12

Does anyone have an update on the road over bray head to greystones?
    #

windgates is meant to be still closed, wouldnt chance it, N11 isnt meant to be bad id say try the charlesland end instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

red_bairn wrote: »
    hmmm, the roads are gettign fairly frozen over now...so it's a sticky one...leave early in the morning...?

Roads will be more frozen than now in the early morning as all melted now turn to ice over the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

Roads around Ballina/Foxford?

Planning to drive from Dublin early tomorrow...

Anyone been up around Stillorgan village? I may be walking up around the hill there past the Orchard pub tomorrow but it's pretty steep and I assume pretty treacherous??

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Has anyone driven the Castlebar to Cork route.....how are the roads? Have to make it down there for monday and petrified of the drive :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

N2 from ashborune to M50 is grand.. but from M50 to city centre has about 2-3 Cms of snow on the ground... its still snowing so its only getting worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

update.

images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop3uur&c=&n=&tijdid=201019922

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Weekend snowfall may threaten road network

GOVERNMENT BRIEFING: HEAVY SNOWFALLS forecast for today and tomorrow could put authorities under an inordinate strain to keep the country’s main roads open this weekend, the body co-ordinating a national response to the extreme weather conditions has warned.

As supplies of rock salt reached critically low levels, and with Met Éireann forecasting a “dangerous phase” of heavy snow tomorrow evening, Minister for the Environment John Gormley acknowledged the gravity of the situation.

The warning came after the National Emergency Response Committee met yesterday to discuss the continuing problems caused by the freeze which has gripped the country for three weeks.

The Minister for the Environment and key members of the committee said that the combination of heavy snows and quickly depleting supplies of rock salt placed the country at “danger” and “at risk in the short term”.
    Meteorologist Gerald Fleming, head of general forecasting at Met Éireann, said that the country faced as situation unprecedented in 30 or 40 years.

He said that temperatures have reached -12 or -13 degrees this week and the ground temperatures were sub-zero down to a depth of 30cm (12in).
    He said that created a problem whereby if the weather improved, the rain would become ice when it fell on the ground.

He said the snow this weekend offered more “worrying possibilities” especially for the east and southeast of the country. “During Sunday afternoon and evening we come to another dangerous phase when we have another weather system coming in that could give us between 5cm and 10cm [of snow].”

Committee chairman Seán Hogan said he had asked county councils in snow-affected areas to have their local co-ordination centres in operation on Sunday with emergency, Garda, Army, and road maintenance, personnel on standby. Mr Hogan said every county council is equipped with snow-ploughing equipment to deal with anticipated snow.

Experts estimate that between 15,000 to 20,000 tonnes of rock salt will be needed to de-ice roads next week. At present only 6,000 to 7,000 tonnes are guaranteed, the National Roads Authority (NRA) confirmed. It said it was confident a further 4,000 tonnes could be sourced over the weekend. However, that still leaves it with a shortfall of up to 10,000 tonnes, or half of what will be required nationally.

Mr Gormley and Michael Egan of the NRA accepted that even if new supplies were located, it could take several days to import them into the country.

Fine Gael last night said that it was clear the Government has no national plan to respond to a severe weather crisis. The party’s environment spokesman, Phil Hogan, said the Government had promised such a plan but it was evident that none had every been prepared. “We now know why the Government’s response to this weather crisis has been so appallingly poor. They don’t have a plan; it doesn’t exist,” he said.

Labour transport spokesman Tommy Broughan said the Oireachtas committee on transport should investigate at its next meeting what he called the total breakdown in dealing with the crisis.

The NRA said that some local authorities would be asked to conserve salt over the weekend to prioritise de-icing roads during the working week

“It’s too early to say if we are facing a closure situation,” said Mr Egan.
    “Whether or not we run out of salt remains to be seen. We openly
    acknowledge the situation is critical,” he added.
    In relation to the status of the response, Mr Gormley insisted the Government was on top of it. He said that it has not been officially declared an emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Snowing again in Sallins so anyone driving through here please be carefull, the bridges get very slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Anyone any info on N4 or Athlone to Galway road?

Also need info on Enniskillien Omagh Donegal route if poss?

Myself and my sis are visiting another sis in Leitrim and want to get home today but not sure if we'll make it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cheerilee

any update on the M7?? it hasnt stopped snowing here since 7 am... and not sure if it would be safe to travel on M50 and M7 to Naas...
    its pretty heavy here now in Dublin 16...

I was meant to go mountain biking today. Is the N11 ok to use ? I need to get to Marley Park from Foxrock/Cabinteely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Avoid all major roads in the Dublin 16/14 area. I was just out for a walk and can confirm cars are abandoned and people are taking to foot instead.

I was meant to go mountain biking today. Is the N11 ok to use ? I need to get to Marley Park from Foxrock/Cabinteely

I was just out walking around Dublin 18 there. The N11 is sort of passable for cars and stuff (around Stillorgan anyway). The road looks very slushy now though. The footpaths and cycle lanes are just pure snow, an inch or so deep. Also you should be aware that a lot of the footpaths etc never thawed properly so there's a sheet of ice underneath the snow.

Quite a lot of snow has fallen since last night around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 MartinaFC

Hi All - wonder if anyone's been out on the N81 - my other half is stuck in dublin since Tues - had hoped to get home at the wkd but no public transport since WEd/Thurs... Need to get to Blessington or Dunlavin would appreciate if anyone had travelled this route and could let me know what it was like before I venture out to collect him... Also is anyone else having probs with their mobile phone signal - I haven't had one since 3/1-02 blaming the weather but it's a long time to be without a phone :confused:

Advertisement