Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Road conditions-Report here please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

MartinaFC wrote: »
    Hi All - wonder if anyone's been out on the N81 - my other half is stuck in dublin since Tues - had hoped to get home at the wkd but no public transport since WEd/Thurs... Need to get to Blessington or Dunlavin would appreciate if anyone had travelled this route and could let me know what it was like before I venture out to collect him... Also is anyone else having probs with their mobile phone signal - I haven't had one since 3/1-02 blaming the weather but it's a long time to be without a phone :confused:

Travelled on the N81 today as far as Blessington. The road is fine. It has been cleared and is safe to travel on as long as you are careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Just wondering again if anyone has travelled down to Cork from the west of the country?? Really appreciate any feedback on the road conditions:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Dublin-Cork dual carriageway is fine : gritted and clear : Portlaoise - Cullahill section is icy is patches : just moderate your speed a bit.

Otherwise it is fine to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fairynuff

Just wondering again if anyone has travelled down to Cork from the west of the country?? Really appreciate any feedback on the road conditions:)
    Just drove Cork to Galway, main roads were clear and fine for driving for the most part. A few patches of ice between Gort and Galway but they don't cause problems if you are taking it easy. It was snowing in Limerick as I drove through but it didn't seem to be sticking on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

limerick roads are fine...
    we got the worst of the ice and snow etc xmas week..
    seems to have went up to the dublin area now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

282git2.jpg

I took a trip into the high ground west of Gorey today:
    Road surfaced with compacted snow with tractor thread imprints giving reasonable traction and noisey, shakey progress at certain speeds.
    Easily passable by 4wd, passable by car with care particularly on hilly sections.
    Kept to a slow speed to keep wheel torque within surface limits.

In general, not as dire as anticipated.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MartinaFC

Thanks Downthemiddle - hoping to get out tomorrow - fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Any info on the N/M4 and M50?

Supposed to drop someone to the airport from Mullingar for a 9.30 flight in the morning!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cheerilee

M50 from Firhouse exit northbound to M7 exit was clear today and M7 clear all the way to Naas, worst spots were getting out of the estates, even secondary roads onto the M50 were fine gritted and care needed but fully operational and this was after the heavy snow this morning

Just went from Marley to Cabinteely, roads were completely empty but the grip was great due to fresh powder and 0.0 degrees celsius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Bray to Greystones seemed grand earlier when I was travelling in on the bus...I think most of Dublin has the medium snow falls atm. I was shocked that we only have ice here...hate ice...snow is better :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

MartinaFC wrote: »
    Thanks Downthemiddle - hoping to get out tomorrow - fingers crossed :)
    N81 is now a disaster...barely passable....drifts and heavy snow...check www.nra.ie before travelling on it.

Just in from a return trip to Dublin airport from Mullingar.

Side roads and housing estates in Mullingar slippy.

M4 to Kinnegad one lane salted and fine at present, light snow on half of overtaking lane.

M4 toll road fully salted and fine at present.

M4 from toll plaza to Spa Hotel, one lane salted and fine at present.

M4 (DCC section) from Lucan to M50 untreated and a total disgrace. One lane in each direction slushy but passable with care.

M50 treated and passable. Kept to M50/M1 to airport and it was fine.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Anyone any idea what the N2 to Ardee then link road to M1 is like? have a Dublin journey to make today.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭beanhead

Bray<->Greystones coast road over windgates is very drivable today. Bray is general is melting...BOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChunkyLover69

Anyone know what the R755 from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood is like?
    Don't have a 4WD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi all,

I need to travel from Dublin to Birr Co. Offaly. I am thinking the N 7 to Roscrea and then turning off for Birr is the best option.

I drive a older car with no 4wd or ABS.

Has anyone been on these roads today? Are they drivable?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hows the N4 Longford - Dublin? and the major roads in and around Dublin?

Hows the N4 Longford - Dublin? and the major roads in and around Dublin?

If you look on the previous page Cherryghost I travelled Mullingar Dublin Mullingar this morning with no problems, worst piece of road was in Dublin along by Liffey Valley. Only went M50 to airport so can't report on the city.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Do-more wrote: »
    If you look on the previous page Cherryghost I travelled Mullingar Dublin Mullingar this morning with no problems, worst piece of road was in Dublin along by Liffey Valley. Only went M50 to airport so can't report on the city.

the roads are continuously changing, so i thought i'd ask again, plus im going alll the way into the city. thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Any idea what mayo to shannon on tuesday will be like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Any idea what mayo to shannon on tuesday will be like?
    How long is a piece of string?
    If someone can accurately predicate that they should also be predicting lotto numbers.

Road surface conditions are changing constantly and the amount of grit spread over the next few days together with the weather conditions will have a lot of bearing but Tuesday is a bit far away......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

Anyone know what the R755 from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood is like?
    Don't have a 4WD
    id advise you stay off it,it being sunday every idiot with a car and no sense
    will be on it "going for a drive in the snow",there will be at least one collision on it to-day at some stage,always is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

conditions around doneraile very poor.reports of pile up between twopot house and doneraile

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just been over to Balbriggan from Ashbourne, back roads over the top (Garristown, Naul) on the minor roads, and they are a lot better than I thought they would be, most of the minor roads are wet, with little snow remaining, although once the temperature drops, it's going to get more complicated.

Unless a significant snowfall does arrive, or a very hard frost sets in, there will be no problems in that area tomorrow

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

M50 north and southbound between n4 and dundrum fine.

Longmile, nangor road and parkwest fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Current road conditions in south Meath and west Dublin are absolutely atrocious. Roads completely covered in glazed black ice. N3 is the worst I have seen it in the entire cold spell. Lucan is so bad at the moment it's difficult to even get traction. Road from Laraghcon to Clonee is a skating rink. These roads have been gritted but I dont know what with as it's making feck all difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Same here, the roads are the worst that they have been since the cold spell started. I just went out to the shops and I'm still shaking from the experience of just trying to keep the car straight.

Even main roads are just extremely extremely dangerous tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Same here, the roads are the worst that they have been since the cold spell started. I just went out to the shops and I'm still shaking from the experience of just trying to keep the car straight.

Even main roads are just extremely extremely dangerous tonight.

yeah very bad around mallow as well as per aa roadwatch. too treacherous out there to be undertaking any journeys tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just to add to the my report about conditions in Lucan, the N4 was still fairly ice free (except the lane nearest the central median did look a bit suspect) as of about an hour ago, so drivers were coming down off it into Lucan thinking everything was grand, and then finding they couldn't stop when they needed to.

Advertisement