Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

About 3th o'clock the roads around Celbridge were fine and 5 hours later at 8 absolutely leathal, no grip at 4th gear.

Many people will be badly suprized today, specially if you do not have the skill to read the road, is it icy or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just drove into work now and the roads are like glass in Waterford City. Was 0.2c when I was leaving the house. Be careful out there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Secondary roads in the north Longford area:

roads in longford this morning are a total joke. took half an hour to get out of the driveway before we were met with a road full of black ice. took another 25 minutes to get into work thats normally a 7 minute journey, and about 15 minutes in the last few weeks.

Primary roads are gritted and seem ok. There are some black ice in places though. Travel with extreme caution

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are the roads around the M50 and Dublin in general likely to be icy in the morning or will any snow that fell just melt away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

M50 around Sandyford is poor but passable.
    Sandyford exit up the hill to Stepaside is very bad. Many cars stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just drove the M50 Dundrum exit to N7 exit northbound and its fine. Longmile road fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Very icy road (black ice) - a number of cars have had skids here this morning - myself included - at Gortnahown on the the N8. ( near kilworth camp )

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

just drove the eniskerry road very bad snow and ice around palmers pub and the sports hotel , care is needed nearly lost it a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

roads very bad in mallow area - rarely seen it so bad. everything is crawling along and very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

roads very bad in mallow area - rarely seen it so bad. everything is crawling along and very dangerous.

Yeah, its really bad out there. Had to turn back home myself this morning, the car was sliding everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

Anyone know what the Waterford roads are like. Am wondering if it freezes tonight will there be ice on the roads in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Roads very icy again in Galway city this morning, some fog around too

Athlone - Dublin road OK this morning - no ice, some fog around Kilbeggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Roads are Dublin 18 are a bit dodgy to be honest. There looks like there's a good bit of frost and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some black ice too (on Brewery Road at least). I'm pretty sure the council didn't salt the roads last night either.

Be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

veron01 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Waterford roads are like. Am wondering if it freezes tonight will there be ice on the roads in the morning?

Roads in rathgormack in Waterford are lethal, and very heavy fog all around Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

V bad tailbacks on N11 this morning. Very very icy.

Site0Camera104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

OMG!!!! just back from dropping my son to school in barnacoyle special school!!! left arklow at 745 and finally got him in at 917:eek:, usually only takes half hr:eek: cars were skidding all over the place:eek: it wasnt this bad in the snow:rolleyes: saw about 6 accidents on my way there and 3 on the way back, but have to say some people were just takin 2 many risks:rolleyes:

Drive slow and take care everybody you will get there eventually:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Roads were by far the worst they've been around Galway over the entire Christmas and New Year period. No sign of any gritting being done last night on any of the main roads :mad:. N17, N84 were treacherous. Council obviously got caught in complacent mood after the snow has melted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

It was pretty obvious the N11 wasn't touched by Dublin or Wicklow County Councils. It was just one spun off car after another this morning. Was a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I wasn't on N11 but I did short cycle trip and the sides roads aroung Ashford were covered in black ice. Usually couple roundabouts are done, but they wern't which surprised me and now with the reports above of N11 not done, that explains it.
    Had air temp of -1.7C, Arklow NRA station a similar temp. Grass temp -7C, so it wasn't from poor weather data.
    Perhaps they shifted the effort to the hills, but a bad call if that is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 fizififi

Neither the N11 or the roads around Enniskerry/Glencree were treated last night. Very dangerous with frozen snow/slush and black ice. They were worse this morning than any other day during this current cold spell.. where were the gritters???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

burly wrote: »
    Roads in rathgormack in Waterford are lethal, and very heavy fog all around Waterford City.

Thanks Burley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork roads were very icy this morning also.
    Hopefully a slow thaw beginning tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Does anyone know what the M7 and M50 are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

is there something of interest in this hedge???
    Site0Camera81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cel1798

The N11 Southbound was also absolutely lethal. The road looked fine. I hit black ice in the outer lane in line with the first exit for Arklow. I'll admit I was travelling at a speed of 100km/p/hr, however, in my defence this is the legal speed limit and the road as I said did look perfect. I lost control of the car for approximately 5-8 seconds. It was very scary stuff. I should be a goner, only I somehow managed to not touch the brake and steer the car to safety. The shock on the faces of the other motorists told it's own story.

I rang Wicklow County Council. They admitted they hadn't gritted the motorway at all. They said they make a call on the need to grit or not grit at between 1 and 2 pm during the current cold freeze. The predicted temperature they said would be between 2-3 degrees, light rain for an hour at midnight and steady wind. Instead, the following happened -2 degrees, no wind and 2 and 1/2 hours rain at midnight. Therefore the rain froze. Wicklow County Council assure me the roads will be gritted tonight. That at least is weight off my mind going to work. I fully understand how lucky I am - no less than 13 crashes were reported on the N11 between 6am and noon. So motorists be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Roads in Mid-Kerry are OK just wet, but watch out for potholes - I drove from Killorglin-Killarney and back today and people were swerving all over the place to miss the enormous number of new potholes that have appeared. Lethal for motor cyclists - please be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

as of 4pm sally gap in wicklow was blocked with a cpl of abandonded cars
    not even a 4wd can get by them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

.243 wrote: »
    as of 4pm sally gap in wicklow was blocked with a cpl of abandonded cars
    not even a 4wd can get by them

Hill up from Chapelozid to Ballyfermot (past FAS) is terrible. Sheet of ice on it.

Avoid at all costs. Go round the long way. Should only take a extra minute or two.

Advertisement