Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭gipi

mac80 wrote: »
    M1 lethal at donabate southbound as is all roads around Dublin Airport

Thanks mac80.

Any updates on this route? I'm due to fly to UK Sat morning (8am flight), plan is to travel from Drogheda to Swords this evening and from Swords to Dub Airport in the early hours.

If the roads in the area are bad, then I won't risk it and I'll stay at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Main roads in the city centre Dublin are grand now, well gritted and all the way into Ballyfrmot. Even non gritted stuff seems to be melting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Hows Cork City today? Have to make a long drive there tomorrow, worth going ahead with it still?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

The roads around the airport and swords are fine now, ice/snow almost 100% gone from the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

SmurfX wrote: »
    Hows Cork City today? Have to make a long drive there tomorrow, worth going ahead with it still?

Best bet is to listen to 96fm.They are reporting road conditions all day,all seems ok for now.Its when it gets dark and frost sets in later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Anyone do Clonmel to Kilkenny today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭patrickc

ok I want to be at Dublin Airport for 7am.

Have to travel from Carlow so would be M9/M50

what to people think?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have to collect someone from Heuston around 8pm. Heading there from Clonsilla, and thinking that the best way to go is via the M50 and onto the N4 heading back into town. Anybody know what these roads are like at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cjdj30

hey guy's, just home after doin return trip lucan to edenderry via johnstown,carbury.the n4's not to bad atall now i kept it 60-70 although many r doin much faster (god bless der foolish hearts!) johnstown to carbury's not gritted unless they just salted over the snow:mad:,huge mounds of hard slush ice down the middle of each lane ,and for anyone that knows these roads there narrow enough on a good day without this,had to put my car into the ditch on the trip home4.15pm:eek: truck taken the corner to fast came into my lane hit the hard ice trying to get back into his lane that caused him to lose controlso it was put myself there or be hit head on, don't actually know what happened to the truck was too busy makin sure my kids were ok, but he never stopped so!!hope he's ok and didn't hit anyone else. return lanes johnstown to lucan a little more icy but again take it handy leave plenty of room between you and the other cars and you'll get there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

patrickc wrote: »
    ok I want to be at Dublin Airport for 7am.

Have to travel from Carlow so would be M9/M50

what to people think?

M9 is passable one lane is open and has been ploughed was being gritted at 7.30 presume they will be out again, the M7 after the tunnel is has been ploughed and then once you get to the black ball at Naas it the three lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭patrickc

Dero123 wrote: »
    M9 is passable one lane is open and has been ploughed was being gritted at 7.30 presume they will be out again, the M7 after the tunnel is has been ploughed and then once you get to the black ball at Naas it the three lanes.

thats great thanks, its says on the AA website theres freezing fog visibilty down to 5 metres.. not good

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the boy is finishing work soon - how are the M1 and M50 doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Slane Resident

Any update today on the N2/Ashbourne/Swords area?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I expect the main roads to be at most wet and slushy during the day, apart from Monaghan the temperatures seem to be above zero. At the evening the freeze will kick back in, therefore I suggest that any trips are done during the day as the roads will become deadly later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Anyone know is the Mitchelstown to Mallow road open and ok? Have to Mallow from Dublin now so debating if i should via Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the traffic cams - http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/ , lots of fog around and likely to be freezing fog soon , not a night to be out driving, going to be horrible conditions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Dont know what kind of grit they put on our local roads this morning but its black and pure grit, not salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

very dense fog between limerick and nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Roads are lethal around the northside of Dublin especially on the roads that look clear, black ice everywhere....just back from dropping some family home, was in D9, D5, D3, and D11.
    Take it very easy out there people!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Patches of Black Ice coming out of Tesco Clare Hall, and along the Malahide road.. Darndale roundabout especially bad..
    Balgriffin road to coast road bad since about 4pm, still slush/ice on parts of it too...

N32 is like an ice-skating rink...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just in from Shelbourne Park, home via the canal, Crumlin, The Long Mile Road and Naas Rd, conditions are as bad as I've ever seen them in Dublin, really slippy.

N7/M7 is poor enough till after Naas North, and local roads across the Curragh are slippy but nowhere near as bad as Dublin.

Be careful out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Just posted in the big freeze thread, roads are hellish along the Limerick Tipp border, sheets of black ice coupled with the fog makes for scary road conditions.

We had a bit of a thaw today which refroze courtesy of the plummeting temperatures and the freezing fog.

I had a car skid straight at me out of the fog, I heard them way before I saw them, sickening, fair play to the other driver they managed to steer out of the collision course.

I can still hear the sound his car was making as it headed straight for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Patches of Black Ice coming out of Tesco Clare Hall, and along the Malahide road.. Darndale roundabout especially bad..
    Balgriffin road to coast road bad since about 4pm, still slush/ice on parts of it too...

N32 is like an ice-skating rink...

+1, was just on the Malahide Road all the way out.

Very bad traction at junctions, black ice throughout. Especially bad from Coolock through to Balgriffin and treacherous around Clare Hall.

Scary bad around The Point/East Wall too, and a few rough patches in the city centre. Castleforbes road which is all cobbles has frozen piles of snow all along and WILL fúck with your suspension, you have been warned :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

R433 brutal today even during peak of afternoon thaw. Roscrea -> Tralee is mostly fine but for fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Just drove from tinahely to sandyford. Not bad. Still heavy snow in rathdrum. Took my time. No bother

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

The Aughrim - Woodenbridge - Arklow road was fine yesterday, much easier than getting to the N11 through Rathdrum.

Well I mean it as passable with care, from Woodenbridge to Arklow there was little or no snow on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wiblick

Chapelizod By-pass CLOSED due to collision/black ice. AA telling people to choose alternative routes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Car accident just happened in Wicklow town - and they were driving a 4x4. PLEASE don't go out if you don't have to. Black ice everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lasts night freeze will ensure the snow will not be going anywhere until Friday/Saturday at the earliest.

Compacted everything.

Some great features out there.

Best was under a broken gutter where the water was splashing on the ground! Strangest ice formation underneath it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

missloulou wrote: »
    The Aughrim - Woodenbridge - Arklow road was fine yesterday, much easier than getting to the N11 through Rathdrum.

Well I mean it as passable with care, from Woodenbridge to Arklow there was little or no snow on the road.

Thanks for the tip . I'll do that on the way home to tinahely.

Advertisement