Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

I drove from Letterkenny to Dublin last night. Main roads were all fine until you reach the M1 turnoff for Ballbriggan. M50 and N3 were pretty poor. Fingal CC seem to be a joke compared to Donegal CC where they had gritters out even on Christmas Day. In Fingal it looks like they ignored treating the roads because it was a holiday and sure why would anybody be travelling then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

have to travel from meath to galway,any one got any weather updates around the midlands,looks like a few snow showers mullingar athlone area at the mo,any one be able to help with that area forecast at the mo.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone know what the footpaths are like in Dublin city centre? I'm due to head out on Tuesday night and I don't fancy needing ice skates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Anyone know what the footpaths are like in Dublin city centre? I'm due to head out on Tuesday night and I don't fancy needing ice skates.

A lot could change between now and Tuesday.

kippy wrote: »
    A lot could change between now and Tuesday.

The forecast doesn't give me hope :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Did a 10k circle trip coastal side of Ashford 2 wheel drive car
    Wasn't an essential trip but an opportunity to get sliced pan for the kids!! :D
    Anywhere the sun got at yesterday afternoon was thawed.

Passsed over the N11 twice and the overtaking lane is not gritted.

Anywhere in shade is snow/ice but there was no problem with traction.

I saw one patch of black ice.

Driving, although not for the faint hearted is fine providing you drive as the conditions dictate.

I did hear that Wicklow town is an ice rink which probably mean that the hills are basically not passible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Just drove Lucan to shankill. Local roads aren't the best but m50 handy enough due to heavy use, gets icier as you get to cornelscourt and beyond but fine as long as you take it handy. Small roads very icy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lefournier

Drove out the Navan Road last night from Phibsborough. Unbelievably icy. 10 mph max. . I was doing about 2 mph when I touched the brake and I could feel a slide.

No sign of gritters on a major artery into the capital. Disgraceful. I assume it will be like this for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Anyone know if Celbridge, N4 sliproads etc have been gritted?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Mothman wrote: »
    I did hear that Wicklow town is an ice rink which probably mean that the hills are basically not passible

Im just back from the town it wasn't to bad the Marton road is a bit ice up the top near the new round about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lulu09

Have to go to City west today from M50 for Disney on Ice. Any ideas if there's any problems with ice en route?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone any info on the roads in Swords, Skerries or Lusk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Celbridge, N4 sliproads etc have been gritted?

Didn't appear to be as my post suggests above. I'd be 99% certain they weren't

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Dublin City Centre footpaths:

Take extreme care on Nassau Street, Dawson Street and the side roads leading on to Grafton street. Had to help two elderly men after they fell badly on those side roads. Both footpaths either side of Nassau street are like ice rinks- have not been treated at all. Had a few frights myself trying to walk to Pearse station, and tourists sliding everywhere! Very bad.

City centre roads seem ok, bit of slush but there are still people racing around. They're alot better than out the Dalkey/Dun Laoghaire direction anyway.

In Dun Laoghaire I hear there are still cars abandoned on Glenageary road lower- still impassable.

The parents tried to drive from Dalkey to Dun Laoghaire this morning and sailed through the lights at Glasthule- they were in a Discovery (and no, they are not the eejits who are think they're invincible in their 4x4s, they're experienced outdoorsy off roader types who know how to handle their vehicle and were driving very very cautiously- so lucky they didn't hit anybody, and won't be venturing onto the roads again today) - nobody is safe on these DLR roads, they're still terrible!

Thank god for the trains which are all still ok :)

Met Eireann is forecasting up to +5 tomorrow during the day in Dublin so hopefully that will help thaw the remaining snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

I havent been outside the house for two days now. Supplies running low.

Apologies for not being able to update anyone else's travel requests but here's mine:
    Anyone know what the Kilcock to Clane road is like today? Need to get to Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Carnaross to Virginia black ice around Maghera.(N3)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

dsane1 wrote: »
    Carnaross to Virginia black ice around Maghera.(N3)

I am meant to be driving from Cavan to Dublin in a couple of hours. Would you advise against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Elessar wrote: »
    Anyone any info on the roads in Swords, Skerries or Lusk?

Swords seems okay including Malahide rd

Met Eireann is forecasting up to +5 tomorrow during the day in Dublin so hopefully that will help thaw the remaining snow and ice.
    Just to clarify-if theres a plus 5,it will be in sunny spots by the sea and maybe for an hour or two.
    Inland south dublin will struggle to 3c
    You'd need a week of plus 5's unfortunately as standing water and slush refreezes after 4pm.
    You aren't going to get that and in fact you will be see'ing 1's and 2's max in Dublin next week and snow showers -so back to square one.
    Sorry.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and if you look at todaythe the Nra table Sandyford m50 at 2pm was air temp +1.8c which is a long way off 5c.
    Tallagth is worse at 0.5c

And this is at the warmest point of the day.
    Now I accept it might briefly get warmer tomorrow in sunshine...but look East ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Does anybody know what the N7 is like from Limerick to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

...The proof of the pudding is in the eating and if you look at today the the Nra table Sandyford m50 at 2pm was air temp +1.8c ...

I asked this in Motors but haven't got a reply yet so thought you guys might know the answer: does anyone know whether when the NRA table says the road has been treated is this because they have been informed by the local authorities or do they have salinity meters on the road? Just wondering as if it is the former, I would be a bit wary of depending on the reliability of communication between NRA and county councils and also wonder how up to date this information would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Ive to drive from Tullamore to Kildare village via Portlaoise tomorrow. Anyone have an update on the roads around there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Has nobody ever heard of AA Roadwatch ??

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Was anyone driving on the N80 enniscorthy/bunclody/carlow main road today??? Hear bad reports coming down hill into ballon village.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Has nobody ever heard of AA Roadwatch ??

I thought this thread was to ask & inform other people of road conditions.
    AA Roadwatch dont report on every single road in the country.

Now stfu, or Santa wont visit you next year.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Roads are fine in Marbella :D so long suckers!!!!!! Ah only kidding back monday damn:(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

mondeo wrote: »
    The roads around by nutgrove shopping centre are like skating rings, literally solid ice on some stretches. Driving up around the hill at the back of the shopping centre passed the staff car parks I got stuck and had to reverse cautiously back down the hill.....:confused: it was a no go area unless you had a 4WD.. So anyone local around there be warned leave your car in the drive Because I promise you your going to get stuck. My volvo with stability control, traction control etc could not do it and my tyres were pretty decent.

The ignorance about 4WD is truly astounding!!!

They slip and slide on ice just like 2WD!

The *only* 4WD that is better are those with snow tyres/chains

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

PWEI wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the N7 is like from Limerick to Dublin?

Just back from it on the Limerick side, not too bad at the moment but it will be greasy soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

T-Square wrote: »
    The ignorance about 4WD is truly astounding!!!

They slip and slide on ice just like 2WD!

The *only* 4WD that is better are those with snow tyres/chains

Yup, once traction is gone all vehicles are the same.

But, it will take more for a 4WD to lose traction than a 2WD. And that may be sufficient to get where you need to go.

It would be interesting to get Top Gear to test a 4WD with conventional tyres against a FWD 2WD car with chains and a RWD 2WD car with chains.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement