Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Wexford town pretty treacherous today and yesterday. 20 minute trips taking me an hour or more now.

Car is in for the night now not going anywhere. Had to get out and help push a few cars today, one lady couldn't get her yaris up a little gradient so ended up driving the car for her til we got to a better spot.

Roads laced with ice in higher areas in town, clonard, glenville, industrial estate, whiterock, sinnotstown lane is a no go zone, (just fyi in case any wexford drivers reading).

Few jeeps tried overtaking me today while I was helping the lady in the yaris and ended up sliding back down again. Arrogance of some drivers in this weather is crazy, having had an accident in this weather before I learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Just traveled the N71 Cork - Bandon Rd & the R607 to Kinsale. The road was grand and dry heading west. The N71/R607 junction was fine. (that was a total no-go area since Christmas) Temp was -2 according to the car.

However, on the Dual Carrageway approaching Cork on the N71, there is ice across the carrageway at the left hand bend past the filling station, so be careful there......

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

The Galway Spiddle road is starting to ice up after the rain shower we had earlier be especially careful around Furbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Guys, does anyone know if there is an open space around Dublin area where one can excercise some ice driving techniques? Something like a big empty car park (without lamp posts!) or similar. Years ago in Poland I used to practice some ice driving skills, we would set up a line of packaging boxes and drive towards it, then brake at some stage and practice avoiding them. Now, I haven't done that in years and I don't feel as comfortable on snow anymore, would like to refresh my skills on this, not to mention that I don't really know how my current car behaves on such roads and I'm not fancy trying this in live traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lulu09

Just drove home from Citytwest along the N7 and M50 northbound. Major roads are fine - just don't speed. Minor roads and housing estates are pretty bad still. Safe driving!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

funkyflea wrote: »

Few jeeps tried overtaking me today while I was helping the lady in the yaris and ended up sliding back down again. Arrogance of some drivers in this weather is crazy, having had an accident in this weather before I learned the hard way.

Acting as Devil's Advocate, could it be that they were afraid to stop as they might lose traction.....though they did anyway?:confused:

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sparkleby

Roads around Blessington/Lakeshore towards the the Wicklow Gap are v.bad. No gritting or ploughing and there's a few inches of fresh snow towards the gap up to about 4-5" higher up....managing to get in and out with a 4x4 ok0ish if you take it very handy.

Did see someone with a novel take on it....rope wrapped around the front tyres as a sort of snow chain!

Oh, and it's still snowing here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Cringer wrote: »
    I havent been outside the house for two days now. Supplies running low.

Apologies for not being able to update anyone else's travel requests but here's mine:
    Anyone know what the Kilcock to Clane road is like today? Need to get to Tescos.

Not sure about the Kilcock to Clane road, but why not go to the Tesco in Maynooth instead via the M4, M4 was fairly good today, with most of the snow and ice gone due to heavy use. Not sure what its like this evening after 7pm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Is the N81 ok from Hollywood Cross to Tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

There seems to have been a thaw or something during the night, much less snow where I am (Dublin 18), at least from looking outside. Just a bit on the grass and everything else seems clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yess-man

what a nice weather we had for a last few days and now back to mud again.. hrrrr
    driving conditions was not bad at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Looking out of the window it looks like there's been a thaw... thank god is all I can say... rural living and frozen roads do not make good bed fellows...

Although judging by the posts about the roads/weather it seems no where was any good... total lack of effort from any councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just been out to the local shop here in Dublin 18. I drove along Brewery Road, then down the Leopardstown road to the N11 and then down the N11 again towards Brewery road.

The roads I was on are clear, no slush or ice. They looked quite dry in places as well although the temp when I got back to my place was 3 degrees.

The footpaths on the other hand are a different story. In some places they are completely clear, in other places they're like a bottle. I know if I was out walking, I'd be keeping my eyes pinned to the ground to hopefully avoid stepping on some ice or something. I suspect once people go back to work tomorrow, and with hopefully a bit more of a thaw today, it will help matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

There are severe weather warnings in place across most of the country, with Met Éireann forecasting at least another three days of sub zero temperatures.

Drivers are being advised to take extra care on all routes but especially on secondary roads which may not have been gritted.

The unexpectedly long cold snap is also draining supplies of grit with several local authorities in the Midlands and in Dublin running low.
    Advertisement

The National Roads Authority says the N5 Charlestown, N6 Loughrea, N8 Mitchelstown, N13 between Brigend and Burt in Donegal, and the N81 Baltinglass are all icy.

The Sally Gap in Wicklow is still closed, and secondary roads and housing estates in most of Dublin are described as treacherous.

In the South, Thurles has been badly affected with gardaí are warning of severe black ice in many places.

AA Roadwatch says it is very icy on secondary routes in Co Clare and also on the N18 Ennis Bypass.

In Co Cavan there are very icy in spots on the N3 Dublin/Cavan Rd and in the Baileboro and Virginia areas

Gardaí have advised motorists to drive with extreme caution on the M7 between J12 Newbridge and J14 Monasterevin, or avoid if possible.

Meanwhile, a man is in a critical condition and two others were injured in a road crash on the N9 Carlow to Kilkenny road early this morning.
    All three men were taken to St Luke's General Hospital Kilkenny.

The road has been closed and gardaí are advising motorists to take extreme care when travelling in the area, as road conditions are treacherous.

Bus Éireann services in Cork are severely disrupted.

All city services and many suburban routes and several services in the county have been suspended.

Services between Limerick and Dublin have been suspended due to road conditions, and there are long delays on the service between Dublin and Ballina.

Meanwhile, Dublin Bus services are operating on a restricted basis and services on routes on higher ground and through housing estates are again being limited.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The roads in and around Ratoath are still quite a bit slippier than they look. A lad in a Merc found that out when he rear ended a car outside the church this morning because he braked too severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A few of us had planned a trip to Enniskillen tomorrow travelling from Carlow. Would we be better off waiting? What are conditions like up there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Minor road conditions around Newport, North Tipp are very poor at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iced in

i cna believe how many idiots there are in this country its icy two icy to drive in its crazy people are driving at speed however it is true if you dont need to drive then dont , however what do you do in an emergency its crazy had a situation where my son 7 months got very sick i attempted to travel from cappawhite to tipperary town to have him seen by a doctor however due to crazy neglect of the roads due to tipperarys council with regards to bad surface and the continious water leakage in 7 spots on the road it was to dangerous to drive it is clear that there are too many lazy engineers and workmen here this is a matter of public safety i have 3 vehicles on the road nothing fancy just two vans not new one 97 and one 02 and a 99 car i pay almost 1700 on car tax and i also pay a cray amount of tax almost 65% of the cost of each liter of desil to cowen and lenehan the two biggest crooks in the country now how can we as people of ireland let this go on,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Blessington to Naas road. R410.
    Snow and ice on the road. Looks like Kildare cc didnt bother to grit it. Saw one single vehicle crash on way home. Car was very badly damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Sorry, mentioned this in another thread...but the wrong one.

Im just outside Tralee in Kerry and ice is very bad here. I skidded the car today and ended up in a ditch on the other side of the road. Thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic and the car was fine!

I've had to cancel a meeting in Shannon tomorrow due to the roads.....don't see the gritters out either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sparkleby

Lakeshore drive around Blessington lakes is Treacherous, not ploughed or gritted and now 2" of compacted (I did measure!) snow on the roads - safely passable in 4x4s and snow chains only. Valleymount side not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone have any idea what state the M7/N7 (Dublin - Limerick) will be in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 AbigailE

Just home from Gorey, roads arent too bad took 40mins because someone a few cars in front was driving 5-10mph and stopping everytime a car came in the opposite direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just looked at NRA data
    M50 Sandyford is stated as "Icy"
    N11 Arklow Bypass road is -2C and "Moist"
    Neither are stated as treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Ventured out today to get supplies. Kilcullen main intersection (R413 & R448) really iced over, especially in front of the church. Also, R413 to Brannockstown not treated at all, very iced.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Anyone been on the Hazelhatch road from Celbridge to Rathcoole??

Whats she like?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Waterford area was fine a little while ago. Could get nasty later tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Roads around Loughrea are still pretty bad. Surprised i managed to keep the car on the road at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back home from work, very dry air and all roads bone dry except where there is existing ice (M50 and R755 though Roundwood and Annamoe).
    Rather beautiful driving through the snowly landscape here in the moonlight.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

super-rush wrote: »
    A few of us had planned a trip to Enniskillen tomorrow travelling from Carlow. Would we be better off waiting? What are conditions like up there?

roads are grand up here the main roads anyway they were gritted tonight but exercise caution as some patches under tress etc can be icy still, my brother lives just outside enniskillen and said roads are ok but again allow extra time for journey

Advertisement