Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Drivers warned on motorway overtaking hazard

FIONA GARTLAND
    THE NATIONAL Roads Authority (NRA) has warned drivers travelling on motorways this morning not to overtake as gritting has been concentrated on travelling (non-overtaking) lanes.

Seán O’Neill of the NRA said motorists returning to work in Dublin and elsewhere should stay in the travelling lane of motorways, particularly the N6, N4, N7 and N9.

“There has been gritting in both lanes, but it has been concentrated on the travelling lanes,” he said.

“Central barriers have also prevented sunshine from reaching the passing lanes on some routes, so there has been poor thawing.”

He said drivers should not overtake other traffic and should drive slowly.
    The Garda warned all motorists to reduce their speed and be particularly careful on all roads. In a statement issued last night, the force said that the continuing cold weather would make travelling treacherous and dangerous for all road-users this week.

The AA also advised against unnecessary travel in several counties, including parts of Kildare, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow, Carlow, Kilkenny, Offaly, Limerick, Cork, Tipperary, Sligo and Galway.

However, the Republic’s transport system had improved by last night.
    Flights at Dublin airport returned to normal after delays from new year’s eve. A spokeswoman said that delays experienced yesterday could be attributed to difficulties at other airports.
    She added that there was a team at the airport working around the clock to ensure the runways are de-iced.

Cork airport experienced delays in arrivals and departures of up to 20 minutes, also attributable to airports in Europe. A spokeswoman for Shannon airport said there were no difficulties there.

Train services were operating as normal last night and the Dublin Dart and Luas public transport systems were unaffected by weather conditions.
    Difficulties on the Dublin to Limerick Bus Éireann route were resolved by last night. And though Bus Éireann services in Cork were severely disrupted, most had resumed by lunchtime. However the West Cork Expressway to Bandon, Clonakilty and Bantry did not run on the advice of gardaí.

Conditions were particularly bad on the Crosshaven to Carrigaline Road, Blarney to Ballincollig Road and several routes around Rochestown and Douglas in Cork city.

In Dublin city, clear main arteries and city centre roads belied dangerous conditions on side roads and in estates, where frozen and compacted snow offered little traction for drivers.

The Chapelizod Gate, Islandbridge Gate and Knockmaroon Gate into the Phoenix Park were all closed due to icy conditions.

The Strawberry Beds and Knockmaroon Hill were also impassable.

The majority of Dublin Bus routes were operating as normal last night, though there were curtailments on some routes serving housing estates or on elevated roads. A spokeswoman said conditions had improved on many routes and on those still not entirely accessible buses were stopping at nearby main roads.

Details of the routes curtailed, numbering 28 last night, are available on the Dublin Bus website.

Taxi companies around the State continued to operate.
    National Radio Cabs, in Dublin, said that it was reaching most customers but those on higher roads were harder to get to.

Castleknock on the north side of the city and Tallaght and Stepaside on the south side were among the most difficult areas to access. Some housing estates were described as having “roads like glass”.

Taxi firms in Cork, Galway and Limerick reported delays in accessing customers due to reduced speeds on routes, though none said they were unable to access any areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Cold snap set to last until at least end of the week

Extra grit arrives to help get country moving

By Paul Melia
    Monday January 04 2010

THOUSANDS of tonnes of grit will arrive at a port today for collection by local authorities who are anxious to make roads safe for motorists in the cold snap.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) said the prolonged freezing weather has resulted in two-thirds of the season's supply of grit being used, and it warned that supplies were at critically low levels in some parts of the country.

This morning, trucks from local authorities will line the dock quayside in Cork to take delivery of up to 6,000 tonnes of grit sourced from England and Spain.

Another 6,000 tonnes will arrive in Limerick tomorrow to serve the west and midlands, with more coming by road from Antrim.

There was further disruption yesterday, with water supplies to homes in Westmeath cut off and parts of the N7 in Kildare closed because of freezing conditions.

The HSE reported a surge in the number of people seeking treatment for broken bones after slips and falls, while bus services continued to be restricted in Dublin.

Met Eireann said there was no signs of the cold snap ending, and that some areas would "struggle" to reach temperatures above zero over the coming week -- even during the day.

"There's no let up on the cold spell," forecaster Michael McAuliffe said. "Some areas might struggle to reach zero and there's the possibility of snowfall everywhere. There's going to be ongoing problems with fog and frost and it looks like there's going to be no let-up before next weekend.
    "Temperatures will fall to as low as -5C, and up in -15C in the odd hollow. You'd probably have to go back 30 or 40 years to see a prolonged cold spell like this."

Around 19,300 tonnes of rocksalt and grit will be delivered by the end of next week to help make roads safe, particularly in counties Sligo, Roscommon and Cork.

NRA spokesman Sean O'Neill said that up to €13m could be spent gritting roads and that more money may be required, particularly for local and secondary roads.

"Two of our operations people are co-ordinating with local authorities to distribute the grit on the basis of need," he said.
    "About €10m was allocated for the season and an additional €3m was made available six weeks ago. There's no additional budgetary requirements at this stage for the national routes, but there may be a need for extra money for the local and secondary roads.

Confident
    "These roads will need more gritting but we're confident there's enough for the national routes. If we weren't doing what we're doing the country would be shut down," he added.
    The HSE added that accident and emergency units had been very busy, particularly in Cork.

"There have been extra orthopaedic theatre sessions because of a lot of breaks and fractures," a spokeswoman said.

"Many hospitals are reporting that they're very busy. In most cases, the existing staff are covering it. The workload would certainly be busier than expected. For example, Cork University Hospital had four times as many theatre sessions in the week between Christmas Day and New Year's as usual."

Last night, Kerry TD Jackie Healy-Rae called on the Government to extend the Christmas break for schools in the light of the "unprecedented bad weather".

The country's 4,000 schools are due to re-open on Thursday but the cold spell is expected to continue until next weekend.
    - Paul Melia
    Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Cabinteely, Sandyford and Laughlinstown ok, Dundrum under Luas looks scary and very white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Knocklyon to monkstown via M50 south all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Roads in south donegal are very dangerous, they were fine this morning but since a big shower of rain and sleet froze and everywhere is very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just for interest, thought i would post this link. Its for Scottish road cams. Judging by the roads in the highlands, they are pretty much on the ball with road treatment. Then again, I guess they are used to these kind of conditions.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/list.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Any update on the footpaths and stuff in Dublin city centre?

I'm sort of supposed to be going out tomorrow night and I'm not mad keen on trying to walk along a load of ice packed streets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Main roads around Gorey are dry, clear and safe presently.

Backroads are lethal......compacted snow is now hard, glassy-looking ice, sometimes in sheets across the road. Melt water in puddles is refreezing.
    Snow/ice in the approach to junctions needs to be traversed warily.
    Hills need to be treated similarly particularly where there is a junction in the way.
    Backroads seem okay for 4wds and some cars are managing too. Pick your route carefully.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

M50 and N4 were in very good condition this evening.
    Didn't stop people crawling along at 50kmph in the outermost lane on both carriageways though. :rolleyes: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Duiske wrote: »
    Just for interest, thought i would post this link. Its for Scottish road cams. Judging by the roads in the highlands, they are pretty much on the ball with road treatment. Then again, I guess they are used to these kind of conditions.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/list.aspx
    Having said that some Scottish councils are practically out of grit as well and heard of similar situation with a council in England.
    Somewhere on BBC news. We 're not the only ones with problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Roads up around Sandyford/Goatstown are now letal. Melted snow has now turned into sheets of ice. On my 15 minute journey home i noticed two accidents on one stretch of road. Careful out there this evening folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Paths and road around Rivervalley in Swords trecherous. Dublin bus not coming into the estate (41c and 102) Paths and roads are still white. Just went out to meet my daughter coming from friends house and nearly fell a few times. Trying to cross the roads was terrifying. Dread to think it might actually get worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The main roads around Newport, North Tipp have been treated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Roads around Letterkenny and East Donegal are absolutely treacherous. Cars being abandoned everywhere. It rained today and froze over. Now raining again!

Not nice when you have a family emergency!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

K-9 wrote: »
    Roads around Letterkenny and East Donegal are absolutely treacherous. Cars being abandoned everywhere. It rained today and froze over. Now raining again!

I have never seen the roads around Letterkenny as slippy.
    Rain showers on top of ice is not good. Sideroads are complete mayhem.
    Rain showers turning to snow showers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

K-9 wrote: »

I confirm this .!!!
    I went down to convoy at 7 30 when it was raining and the spin back to the house was the slipiest run ive had in the past two weeks !! I would drive anywere in most conditions . I was over glendowan today for a drive ( i will put up pics ) but it was nothing tothe condition at the moment .

Take Care !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

South Donegal, Sligo and North leitrim all the same...treacherous!!
    scanner has been going crazy all night- numerous crashes, people abandoning cars everywhere... Gardai advising everyone to stay off all roads in the region.... road conditions are the worst i have seen this side of the pond...every surface is covered with a thick layer of ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

N21 from Castleisland northwards has varying degrees of lying snow. Anything from an inch at altitude to a light covering in other places.

Geting quite compacted in places and quite slushy in others. A real mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

R755 from Calary to Roundwood has pockets of freezing fog and the roads are completely white with frost and maybe blowing snow. They have been gritted but I think its just too cold for the grit to have any effect. Extreme care needed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Raining here in Foxford, roads are ice rinks. !! (glad i dont have to go anywhere in the morning)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some light showers earlier have turned roads and paths into ice rinks once again. With more light showers promised overnight I expect the conditions to worsen further once again as air temps are close to freezing with frost and ice not clearing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have never seen the roads around Letterkenny as slippy.
    Rain showers on top of ice is not good. Sideroads are complete mayhem.
    Rain showers turning to snow showers now.

i was very fortunate so that i didn't have an accident when i was driving around up there last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

R448 (the former N9 that was just bypassed) appears iced over, no grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

N11 grand all the way to the M50 then good really till turn off, Dundrum from the Sandyford round about is a bit hairy though... car decided to go sideways... even at a slow rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

M8 from Cashel to Mitchelstown is lethal - multiple accidents at 8:30 am. Rain frozen overnight - not treated. Careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Anyone know if there's a chance of driving from Sligo to Tubbercurry-Gurteen this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Just starting to snow now in Sligo/Leitrim border area. Decided against going out today as it is so so bad on the roads here in this area it is just not worth the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

fozzle wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a chance of driving from Sligo to Tubbercurry-Gurteen this afternoon?

Fozzel, if you are not in a 4x4 and a confident driver do not do it, very real risk of getting stranded today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Opal

has anyone been on nass-blessington R410 today, need to go to eadestown today from dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dublin 15 is pretty bad, it never really cleared up and as last nights snow fall gets compacted onto the already compacted snow and ice it will just get worse later this evening.

Advertisement