Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argh! Any idea when the dealers are open again??

• 01-01-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Last night, had a weird problem with the car, an 04 Avensis. Wanted to run out to the shops to get some NYE suppies, but for some odd reason the car wouldn't unlock and open. Put it down to the battery in the keyfob must be running out, and at 6pm last night there was little I could do about it.

Went down this morning, and the car was now unlocked, I put the key in the ignition and it was totally lifeless.

Got roadside assistance out, who jump started the car, and told me to leave it running for 45 minutes. Sat in the car and noticed that the 'door open' indicator was on, and the car wouldn't lock. Sure enough, there's the tiniest of dents inside the door frame right where the sensor trigger should push in, so the car isn't registering the door as closed. So I'm guessing that light has been on overnight and drained the battery.

Have put a small bit of padding in place, to give the sensor trigger something to push off, and the car now locks fine. BUT the alarm isn't beeping, and the wee alarm indicator by the gearstick, that normally just flashes away is permanently lit.

So my first question is why? Is it because the alarm sensor is off because of the little bit of padding in the door. Or because the battery went totally dead (all the clocks etc., reset) does the alarm need to be reset?

Carroll and Kinsella not open today, and I've the fear they mightn't be til Monday, so would appreciate any tips if there's an easy fix!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most likely an alarm problem.

I'd suggest you check that the boot light isn't staying on. the sensor on the boot can go a bit wonky on them. best way to check is to get into the boot and have someone you trust close it on you (presuming the rear seats don't fold.)

If you press the unlock button on the key and the hazards flash then the remote locking is working, if you press the lock button and nothing is happening, then a door is probably open or there is a fault with a switch

Have you got another fob with the alarm or is it just worked off the factory key remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

Hah, I'll not be crawling into any boots!

Have two keys, same with both. I'm 100% it's resulting from the sensor problem in the driver door. With the padding in place, the door warning light goes off and I can lock the car. I just don't hear the beep and that alarm indicator is staying red. So I'm guessing the alarm isn't activating, and worrying that the constant light will drain the battery before Monday again...

yep, sounds like the alarm needs something alright. do you know what type of alarm it is?

The dent in the door pillar was most likely caused by the seat belt buckle getting slammed by the door.

Did you get any little keys with the car? is there a little button where the alarm LED is? do you have any of the documentation from the alarm?

no idea what the alarm is, but yup got little alarm keys too. no idea where to use them!

there should be a box under the bonnet for the alarm. you can enable/disable the alarm using the keys. the keyhole should be under a rubber cap.
    Maybe disabling then enabling the alarm will solve your issue.

• Advertisement

Will look like this

Siren-Alarm-Electronic-Siren-ES-88U-.jpg

Ah great idea, thanks. Should tide me over til I can get the car back to the dealer!

Advertisement