Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Uploading Photos

• 01-01-2010 5:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can somebody please give me some advise on the best and easiest website to store personal photographs. Myself and my wife have hundreds of photos on our digital camera nd we would like to put them somewhere secure with an option to be able to share them as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would first burn them to CD or DVD (a couple of copies) as well as putting them on an External HDD.

Really only use online sites, like Pix.ie or Flickr, for images that you want to share with others. Upload smaller sized images there & keep the full res originals in storage at home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Thanks. What about Picasa 2. What is this? Do you know how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Bugnug wrote: »
    Thanks. What about Picasa 2. What is this? Do you know how it works?

Picasa is google's free tool for cataloguing photos on you computer, it can also do some minor editing and I think it has the option to create online albums too and probably loads more besides. Pix.ie and Flickr are the most commonly used sites for uploading and sharing pics online. I prefer pix.ie :) but I use both. I use picasa to catalogue my stuff because it's great for that. it's on version 3 now too btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Picasa will let you upload to web albums with nice privacy controls as to who can see what. I use Flickr but unless you pay a subscription, you can only see your latest 200 photos online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JonnyPardoe.com

Hi there,

I don't use flickr this way but a friend of mine does! You can make albums "private" so only you can see them. It also means if you are at someone's house and you would like to show them a photo you can just log in (if they have internet!) and show them!

• Advertisement

Photobucket's not too shabby. It has a nice look to it and is easy to use.

You can make your account private on it, too, so only you can view your photos (well, other people can view them aswell, but only if they have a direct link to the image, so you can have a private account, but also share images by linking to them on forums, etc.).

I'd also recommend, if they're important, as CabanSail said, make backups. On an external drive or something like that is handy, or throw them onto a DVD disc and put it away. There's nothing worse than losing lots of photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Bugnug wrote: »
    Hi,

Can somebody please give me some advise on the best and easiest website to store personal photographs. Myself and my wife have hundreds of photos on our digital camera nd we would like to put them somewhere secure with an option to be able to share them as well.

Hi OP,
    I use flickr pro ... it's about €16 a year ... and is worth it for the security alone,
    i could lose my DVD backups .. i could have a HD crash ... but flickr
    is pretty much 100% secure.

Also you can organise your photos nicely .

Advertisement