Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Very cold night here in Mayo. -8.9c currently. Was hoping it would have topped the -11.3c we had last week before Christmas. Strange though, Claremorris met station only reading -3c here when my records are usually +/-1c of what Claremorris is recording?

Owenc should be getting his percip according to the radar at present, a few nice showers coming into NE Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Good bit of precipation hitting the North in a while ,what will this bring ?
    It has sleeted here a good bit over night and its all frozen now so im expecting more.
    We are so close to scotland up in the north but yet dont get as much snow as them , how is this :(
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Pouring down here now , mix of hail and sleet, this is gona freeze and be lethal, even the gravel outside is very slippy as the hail that fell all night is frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think it is passing us by at last..

Sweet relief

Ulster
    02 January 2010- updated at 06:00
    Today

Very cold. Outbreaks of snow. Mainly dry in south. High of zero to +2 degrees.

Tonight

Wintry showers near east coasts. Elsewhere dry. Very cold. Low of zero to -5 degrees.

Tomorrow

Very cold. Isolated wintry showers. High of -1 to +2 degrees.

National Forecast

02 January 2010 05:16

Today

A bitterly cold start today with severe frost and ice. Frost and freezing fog will linger in many areas especially the south midlands. Many areas will have a dry day, but outbreaks of sleet and snow coming into Ulster during the morning will spread further south into Connacht and parts of north Leinster. While fresh snowfalls will occur in the far north, amounts will be small further south - Munster and South Leinster staying dry. Highest temperatures of zero to +4 degrees.
    Tonight

Tonight will be very cold again with widespread very severe frost and icy. Most places will be dry, but a few sleet and snow showers will affect areas near Irish Sea coasts. Lowest temperatures will range zero to -6 degrees.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Sunday will be another very cold day with a chilling easterly wind. Most places will remain dry, but well scattered snow showers will affect areas near south and east coasts.

Outlook

Apart from isolated snow showers near north and west coasts, Sunday night will be dry but very cold with very severe frost and the risk of freezing fog patches inland. Air temperatures may drop as low as minus 10 degrees in places. Monday will be mainly dry also with some pale winter sunshine, but very cold with frost persisting for most of the day and roads and pavements staying icy. Tuesday will be dry in most places, but it'll be very cold and snow showers will affect coastal areas with fresh accumulations in these areas. During Wednesday there will be an increasing risk of longer spells of sleet and snow.

• Advertisement

No word of significant snow for monday, like they said the last day. :(
    Wednesday looks promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:)
    Pangea wrote: »
    No word of significant snow for monday, like they said the last day. :(

Wednesday looks promising though.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    Very cold night here in Mayo. -8.9c currently. Was hoping it would have topped the -11.3c we had last week before Christmas. Strange though, Claremorris met station only reading -3c here when my records are usually +/-1c of what Claremorris is recording?

Snaps, I noticed the same thing here. I am just to the SE of Claremorris and usually my own readings are no more than +/-1c out from what Claremorris is reading at any given time, yet my current temp is stagnant on -5.4c at the moment, whilst Claremorris is currently (as of 6am) on -2c. I think this is to do with elevation. Claremorris weather station is located on a high altitude (71m or thereabouts) whereas I am, and am sure your are, are at a lower altitude, which is where cold air tends to pool over the course of nightime. The 61-90 average minima for January for Tuam for example is 0.2c lower than that of Claremorris so I think that would back up my theory to some extent. Although the average maxima is higher here than for Claremorris.

Anyways, back to the charts. ECM run this morning is an absolute stunner. By far the best outlook (personally speaking) of the current cool phase:

100547.gif
    This kind of chart is what I am talking about. It is the very essence of my forum name. It is the holy grail of all charts.

Bring that mother on! :D

Graces7 wrote: »
    :)

:mad:
    Come down from the mountain katy daly :p

Deep east, any chance u could elaborate on that chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It seems donegal is awake early and waiting :)

irish1967 wrote: »
    It seems donegal is awake early and waiting :)
    of course lol
    U wana know a random fact?, I checked the sunrise and sunset difference between malin and mizen head a few days ago ,
    turns out mizen head has around 45 minutes more of daylight than malin, amazing :D

Just discovered we have no power here in Donegal town. Street lights snd all are gone. Any news Pangea or Geaces??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Deep east, any chance u could elaborate on that chart.

That chart would bring severe cold and dry weather to western Ireland with some snow showers for the E and SE and possibly Eastern Cork County Coastal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I am looking at the possibility of a second trough - currently developing over the centre of Scotland... if it can make it over the central lowlands of Scotland and survive the Mournes it could be good... might pick up some steam over the Irish Sea...

Whole town is out. Hmmm been years since we had a power cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jamesblonde

Snaps, I noticed the same thing here. I am just to the SE of Claremorris and usually my own readings are no more than +/-1c out from what Claremorris is reading at any given time, yet my current temp is stagnant on -5.4c at the moment, whilst Claremorris is currently (as of 6am) on -2c. I think this is to do with elevation. Claremorris weather station is located on a high altitude (71m or thereabouts) whereas I am, and am sure your are, are at a lower altitude, which is where cold air tends to pool over the course of nightime. The 61-90 average minima for January for Tuam for example is 0.2c lower than that of Claremorris so I think that would back up my theory to some extent. Although the average maxima is higher here than for Claremorris.

Anyways, back to the charts. ECM run this morning is an absolute stunner. By far the best outlook (personally speaking) of the current cool phase:

100547.gif
    This kind of chart is what I am talking about. It is the very essence of my forum name. It is the holy grail of all charts.

Bring that mother on! :D

Deep Easterly, unisys weather ain't showing a deep easterly next week:
    gfsx_500p_4d_eur.gif

The 10-day outlook.

Esb has major fault in donegal and Westport areas. No restoration time available. Further updates on 1850 372 999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jamesblonde

Actually, i saw you had Mon 11th Jan as a chart. Reliability is about 40%, so don't get your hopes up too high.

gfsx_500p_9d_eur.gif

For those of you who don't normally read these charts. The lines are isobars - the tighter together they are, the stronger the winds. The dark blue areas are low pressures - winds circulate anti-clockwise around them in the northern hemisphere. So if you look at the blue center of the depression in romania - it will send winds from Moscow towards the UK and the airflow will reach ireland (but not the strong winds).

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The following is an analysis of the overnight guidance with regard to the continuing severe cold spell. Multi model guidance into the medium term, shows absolutely no sign of a breakdown in the cold. In fact, the cold is even intensified as a strong Easterly flow develops with exceptional blocking to our variable North and over Scandinavia.

ECMWF - 00Z Output

Fairly consistent with that of previous days. The main snow risk during Tuesday and into Wednesday is once again focused upon Eastern and Southeastern areas. However, it also seems highly likely that a Frontal Trough will move down across the country during Monday, giving the risk of snowfall. With this complex setup, we should never look too far ahead on Model Guidance because the evolution will of course change to an extent, but this morning, for it's entire run all the way out to T+240, ECMWF remains bitterly cold across the country.

Risk of Snowfall - Early on Wednesday:

100102_0000_102.png

GFS 00Z

Is also very similar to ECMWF, in that it suggests an Easterly, trending Northeasterly flow, later backing due Easterly again. Very cold conditions, with the risk of snowfall, also persist to T+240 and beyond.

The GEFS Ensemble set (00Z) is extremely interesting in that the Mean 850mb temperature for the East does not rise above -5 (which is used as a general guidline as supporting air at the 850mb level for snowfall) until the 15th of January. Again, these are also prone to rapid change but they show a very sustained cold outbreak at the moment. In the nearer term, the Ensemble Mean stays closer to -10 for many days in the next 7-10 Days:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=115&y=32

The latest Met Eireann update, also seems to be in line with the overnight ECMWF 00Z Operational output:

www.met.ie
    Apart from isolated snow showers near north and west coasts, Sunday night will be dry but very cold with very severe frost and the risk of freezing fog patches inland. Air temperatures may drop as low as minus 10 degrees in places. Monday will be mainly dry also with some pale winter sunshine, but very cold with frost persisting for most of the day and roads and pavements staying icy. Tuesday will be dry in most places, but it'll be very cold and snow showers will affect coastal areas with fresh accumulations in these areas. During Wednesday there will be an increasing risk of longer spells of sleet and snow.
    Summary

In summary then it looks as if the cold, at times very cold weather is set to continue for another 5 Days at least. As we head into next week, there should be an increasing risk of snowfall, with a very cold and unstable, Easterly to Northeasterly flow covering the country. Later in the week, there is growing consensus from NWP Guidance of a link up between the somewhat declining blocking high over Greenland and a surface pressure rise over Scandinavia. The result, as indicated on ECMWF, is a very strong Easterly flow with sustained blocking to the Northwest, North and Northeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Deep Easterly, unisys weather ain't showing a deep easterly next week:
    gfsx_500p_4d_eur.gif

The 10-day outlook.
    yes mate i live in a hole. frost also lingers all day as w get no sunlight during the day apart from the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Snowaddict wrote: »
    The following is an analysis of the overnight guidance with regard to the continuing severe cold spell. Multi model guidance into the medium term, shows absolutely no sign of a breakdown in the cold. In fact, the cold is even intensified as a strong Easterly flow develops with exceptional blocking to our variable North and over Scandinavia.

ECMWF - 00Z Output

Fairly consistent with that of previous days. The main snow risk during Tuesday and into Wednesday is once again focused upon Eastern and Southeastern areas. However, it also seems highly likely that a Frontal Trough will move down across the country during Monday, giving the risk of snowfall. With this complex setup, we should never look too far ahead on Model Guidance because the evolution will of course change to an extent, but this morning, for it's entire run all the way out to T+240, ECMWF remains bitterly cold across the country.

Risk of Snowfall - Early on Wednesday:

100102_0000_102.png

GFS 00Z

Is also very similar to ECMWF, in that it suggests an Easterly, trending Northeasterly flow, later backing due Easterly again. Very cold conditions, with the risk of snowfall, also persist to T+240 and beyond.

The GEFS Ensemble set (00Z) is extremely interesting in that the Mean 850mb temperature for the East does not rise above -5 (which is used as a general guidline as supporting air at the 850mb level for snowfall) until the 15th of January. Again, these are also prone to rapid change but they show a very sustained cold outbreak at the moment. In the nearer term, the Ensemble Mean stays closer to -10 for many days in the next 7-10 Days:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=115&y=32

The latest Met Eireann update, also seems to be in line with the overnight ECMWF 00Z Operational output:

www.met.ie

Summary

In summary then it looks as if the cold, at times very cold weather is set to continue for another 5 Days at least. As we head into next week, there should be an increasing risk of snowfall, with a very cold and unstable, Easterly to Northeasterly flow covering the country. Later in the week, there is growing consensus from NWP Guidance of a link up between the somewhat declining blocking high over Greenland and a surface pressure rise over Scandinavia. The result, as indicated on ECMWF, is a very strong Easterly flow with sustained blocking to the Northwest, North and Northeast.
    Excellent analysis, so their could be a small chance of the white stuff here in tropical Waterford City on Wednesday. I live in hope.

I've been looking at some of the reports from NI and they've got a rain snow mix on the coast widely with positive dewpoints.

Even Hillsborough which is a bit inland is reporting the same kind of thing under a dewpoint of -3c :eek:

I think this front would be better off disappating as it goes south if the undercut of NE air isn't fast enough.A period of sleety rain is not what the doctor ordered.
    The m2 buoy has a dp of 2.6c and my own is rising chasing the rising air temp-I could get up to 4 c today :eek:

Lovely outputs up to 120 [and beyond but it's FI].

Some cloud but otherwise a bright crisp morning here in Donegal Town. Watching the radar for the showers from the Northwest but nothing yet.. they seems to be dissipating very soon after they make landfall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

UGHHHHHHH what do we have to do to get some damn proper snow.. woke up today after waiting hours to find it had just rained over the snow and melted it entirly not even sleeted how unlucky is that! I thought these bloody showers were for turning to snow after the band and the band has passed and its still bleeping raining! agggggggggggg ahhhhhh omg!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Derry Eglington is currently temp 2, DP 1. TAF gives small chance of moderate snow showers from 9am to 6pm today.

TAF EGAE 020831Z 0209/0218 28010KT 9999 SCT030 TEMPO 0209/0218 3000 SHRA SHRASN BKN014 PROB30 TEMPO 0209/0218 1200 SHSN BKN008 BECMG 0212/0215 04015KT=

Note that Kerry Airport is currently Temp -8°C, DP-9°C, while Sligo Airport is +6/+2°C !

Dublin TAF still gives small chance of light snow showes this afternoon.

TAF EIDW 020500Z 0206/0306 27006KT 9999 FEW022 PROB30 0206/0210 0400 FZFG BKN001 PROB30 TEMPO 0215/0219 1500 -SHSN BKN006 BKN017CB BECMG 0219/0221 07008KT=

100548.png

owenc wrote: »
    UGHHHHHHH what do we have to do to get some damn proper snow.. woke up today after waiting hours to find it had just rained over the snow and melted it entirly not even sleeted how unlucky is that! I thought these bloody showers were for turning to snow after the band and the band has passed and its still bleeping raining! agggggggggggg ahhhhhh omg!!!!!!!!!!
    Well we did tell you last night or at least su campu did,as did snowaddict,that the front was going to bring in atlantic air.

If it's any consolation valentia way down in south west Kerry is -3c this morning.
    Why? because it had a land breeze off the very cold island of Ireland.
    Further south of you away from the atlantic mixed flow is bitter.
    Your climate will be variable.

Well we did tell you last night or at least su campu did,as did snowaddict,that the front was going to bring in atlantic air.

If it's any consolation valentia way down in south west Kerry is -3c this morning.
    Why? because it had a land breeze off the very cold island of Ireland.
    Further south of you away from the atlantic mixed flow is bitter.
    Your climate will be variable.

yes but this is really annoying it is now the third time this has happened to me meanwhile ill go over to my aunts house and she'll have an additional 6 inches of snow topped onto her everygrowing ski house! When are these showers turning to snow and i thought temps were to go down they are up at 2.5c at the nearest sstation!:mad:

Yes I heard Donegal town electricity was off alrite.

• Advertisement

Yes I heard Donegal town electricity was off alrite.

yea and i bet you they got snow:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement