Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Looks like the midlands snow shield will hold where I am at least, as it has done since this began - cannot see much wintry precip. from nexts weeks charts for anywhere inland and away from the eastern coastal margins.

Having said all that, day to day variations,which cannot be forecast at this point, may change the way things go on the snow front. But it certainly will be cold. Please keep an eye on those people who might be vulnerable during this - and don't forget our feathered friends! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looks like the midlands snow shield will hold where I am at least, as it has done since this began - cannot see much wintry precip. from nexts weeks charts for anywhere inland and away from the eastern coastal margins.

Having said all that, day to day variations,which cannot be forecast at this point, may change the way things go on the snow front. But it certainly will be cold. Please keep an eye on those people who might be vulnerable during this - and don't forget our feathered friends! ;)

yeah, if the northeasterly airflow is potent you will eventually see some snow showers make it as far as the midlands. although they will likely be light in nature. if, as is likely, this easterly or northeasterly persists there is a chance at some stage a feature(which the forecaster and models might not pick up on) will spread across the country, again though the heaveist stuff would likely be in the east. if this happens i hope you being snow starved don't take it all for yourself and we further west end up with patchy clouds overhead :mad: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

O DEAR! Sandyford. Temp shot up to 2.8C. Rain shower. Big and sudden thaw.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A few snowshowers here this morning and we now have a nice covering again. Looks like we will have scattered snow showers for the rest of today

Just saw my neighbours struggling to park their car. Wheels spinning like mad. My estate is still quite bad with snow and ice. No thaw here as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

inabina wrote: »

Yea its over, mild southwersterlies are now returning. Back to normal.

Oh well

Dewpoints should peak around 3pm.

I notice a band of convection forming around southeast NI off the coast.

Decent band of convection.

Showers will be or rain/sleet/snow until this evening when the real cold returns, although showers with any strength in them should be of snow.

http://sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Yea its over, mild southwersterlies are now returning. Back to normal.

Oh well

Not that bad!!!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

inabina wrote: »

Now you know how we feel! its awful isnt it but do not worry as dp will drop again after 3pm and anything that falls will be snow! hurray! hopefully this dosnt happen again in the near future!:mad:

owenc wrote: »
    Ok so when the wind veers north easterly the dp should lower!:D Should they stay like this is this the last mild part of the spell?:confused:
    The answer is nobody knows but it's best not to ask too many questions all the time.
    We can't give you real time updates for colraine-some of us have work to do :D

I will tell you this,the flow is continuing from polar regions.
    Currently it's got a tiny bit of modification in it from the north west but look at the fax charts posted there.
    Cold front after cold front after cold front marching down.
    Behind every cold front is colder air again and so on.
    As long as that continues,you're going to get back to freezing conditions where you are eventually and hopefully snow.
    So relax-read and enjoy the technical posts here and use google as your friend to help you lear.

Meanwhile I'm not answering any more of your questions because I feel the answers are already given in several posts here without you even needing to ask them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For those wondering about the South, a good chance of snow flurries tomorrow as the wind backs East and strenghtens

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Su Campu wrote: »
    Short TAFs

(SLIGO)EISG LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 021000/021900 WIND 31012KT BECMG 1113 06006KT VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER TEMPO 1013 -SHRASN CLOUD CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL= SLEET SHOWERS 10AM-1PM

Nope ...absolutely bucketing with rain so it was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

Planet X wrote: »
    Stillorgan. Just stopped at lights and two gritters passed me (not gritting obviously) on the N11, going town direction. DLR trucks. One had a snow plough on front. Main roads fine. Cycled up to the local vegetable shop for a few bits n pieces.

Saw that truck with the snow plough shortly before you did. It was coming out of that side road that leads into Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt heading for N11. Whatever it was doing it didn't have much effect on the side roads and estates around Cabinteely - still very icy even on relatively busy roads. Recent light shower of what I would describe is cold rain drops. Little bit of pale sunlight right now but soon to dissapear behind clouds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The answer is nobody knows but it's best not to ask too many questions all the time.
    We can't give you real time updates for colraine-some of us have work to do :D

I will tell you this,the flow is continuing from polar regions.
    Currently it's got a tiny bit of modification in it from the north west but look at the fax charts posted there.
    Cold front after cold front after cold front marching down.

Indeed.

Rtavn1142.png

Some interesting commutes through next week.

Rtavn12617.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

peasant wrote: »
    Nope ...absolutely bucketing with rain so it was :rolleyes:

Temperature +6, dewpoint +2, I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

METAR EISG 021200Z AUTO 34015KT 9999 FEW025 BKN032 BKN041 06/02 Q1018=

That should be the case with all of that band of precip in the west at the moment. Even Knock has gone to sleet showers, after several days of snow.

METAR EIKN 021230Z 28009KT 9999 -SHRASN SCT018CB 03/M00 Q1017 NOSIG=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 patsy A

It's snowing in north longford now, 646ft asl.

When the winds turn northeast the cold will return

Currently we are in a WNW but the change is coming into Northeast NI now.

Dewpoints should peak around 3pm.

I notice a band of convection forming around southeast NI off the coast.

Decent band of convection.

Showers will be or rain/sleet/snow until this evening when the real cold returns, although showers with any strength in them should be of snow.

http://sat24.com/gb
    There appears to be cloud over Dublin but that sat picture shows the snow cover under clear skys through co wicklow right to Arklow and along most of north and East wexford and across to East carlow.
    Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Su Campu wrote: »
    Temperature +6, dewpoint +2, I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

The approach of the warm air was quite dramatic actually. Woke up to hard frost, white everywhere and the three kernels of sleet we got yesterday evening still perfectly preserved and crunchy underfoot. And then it just got warm all of a sudden and very quickly. Trees started to drip off their frost, while the ground was still frozen rock hard. That shower now has thawed everything, but if the cold returns as quickly as it went, then things could get very dangerous. Only the top one cm of ground is thawed, everything is dripping wet on top ...a quick drop in temps and Sligo will crunch to a halt in a crust of ice

(won't happen though ...I just bought a bag of urea to thaw my driveway (just in case) and once I do something like that, the scenario never materialises ...ever since we bought a parasol we haven't had a summer :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

That band of precip off east NI is on the met's rainfall radar too.

Will it not pump eastwards in the W/NW wind?

If it did brush the east coast is it likely to be rain? Or..?

I don't like hearing about rain in Sandyford! :eek: Making me nervous ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Water pipes into the house got frozen, the cattle managed to keep drinking during the night to keep their water going....thank God, didn't fancy the hardship of them with no water.
    Water in the dairy was frozen but got it going, will use that till I get the water into the house going.

I hope temperatures rise a bit.

i see the temperature in the last hour has shot up to 6c in Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Until I see the *perfect* chart for the Pale being forecast, I shall assume that anything that can possibly go wrong with the charts will go wrong with them. It has been the story of every weather situation I've monitored for nearly 3 weeks now, wherever I've been.

And many of those days speak of dry, bright, absolutely freezing weather. More bloody northerlies only to see troughs dying out when they hit the Monaghan-Louth border is not what I want to see.:mad: That was particularly despairing before Xmas. Every Beasterly on the models up to now has failed to materialise.

Sure why would I take t+84 seriously let alone t+168 charts?

When the winds turn northeast the cold will return

Currently we are in a WNW but the change is coming into Northeast NI now.

i find talk of cold returning funny when temperatures are hovering around 2-3c in many parts of the country. The way things are going we will all be in t-shirts when the temperatures eventually get back up to 11 or 12c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

i find talk of cold returning funny when temperatures are hovering around 2-3c in many parts of the country. The way things are going we will all be in t-shirts when the temperatures eventually get back up to 11 or 12c.

lol, 11 or 12C does sound tropical right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I thought we were in for cold for another 5 days at least why all this talk of thaw atm? I sort of understand that warmer sw winds are coming in but when did this happen and was it expected???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Temperature has been rising steadily over the last few hours though it's still below freezing (-0.9c).
    Skies are clear at the moment though there's always the remote possibility that a stray shower might make it this far - or is that just wishful thinking :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There appears to be cloud over Dublin but that sat picture shows the snow cover under clear skys through co wicklow right to Arklow and along most of north and East wexford and across to East carlow.
    Good to see.

Yes, and that cloud is stratocumulus, signalling the arrival of more stable conditions from the ridge from the north. The chance of showers is diminishing by the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just heard it is going to get bad on the east cost this evening/tonight as regards more heavy snow. The estates here are hazardous, but the main roads are gritted. Any real threat of snow in Co. Wicklow today through this evening or will it stay dry?. Worried about running low on supplies and was going to head out to stock up as we have alot of snow on the ground here from New Years Eve as it is, so if we get anymore we will be totally stuck up here in Rathdrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Glasgow,Edinburgh and Aberdeen all +2c in a NE airflow, very worrying!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement