Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Min wrote: »
    lol, 11 or 12C does sound tropical right now.

Yes considering my max yesterday was-3c 5c would even feel tropical 2-3c dosnt feel cold at all anymore it would feel like a 8c day last winter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

things have downgraded somewhat since yesterday, perhaps more to what was shown on new years eve. Tomorrow looks milder than today, any showers should be rain or sleet. Turning colder from Monday with some chances of very cold and possibly snowy weather from Tuesday onwards. Cold snap looks like coming to an end next weekend.

Again this could read totally different by this time tomorrow.

Well I can tell you the panic buying is in full swing in Arklow :D
    Tesco has ran out of pizza and had no bread at one stage.
    I got the last 3 loaves in supervalu but I presume theres more coming.

Glasgow,Edinburgh and Aberdeen all +2c in a NE airflow, very worrying!
    yes but temps will only drop a tad the real drop will be tomorrow were maces will be back down to -1c again ut today the dp will go back to negative which is cold enough for snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just heard it is going to get bad on the east cost this evening/tonight as regards more heavy snow. The estates here are hazardous, but the main roads are gritted. Any real threat of snow in Co. Wicklow today through this evening or will it stay dry?. Worried about running low on supplies and was going to head out to stock up as we have alot of snow on the ground here from New Years Eve as it is, so if we get anymore we will be totally stuck up here in Rathdrum.
    If you had faith in weather forecasts, there could be some snow showers tonight. Not much precipitation forecast, I wouldn't imagine there could be possibly more than 1 or 2 cm from tonight's showers anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    things have downgraded somewhat since yesterday, perhaps more to what was shown on new years eve. Tomorrow looks milder than today, any showers should be rain or sleet. Turning colder from Monday with some chances of very cold and possibly snowy weather from Tuesday onwards. Cold snap looks like coming to an end next weekend.

And this analysis is based on what exactly?

I would also say that this speaks volumes about the "cold" airmass. Especially the Glasgow temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The ECM models have us in the deep freezer still next weekend.

And this analysis is based on what exactly?

Yes I agree mazes at the most will be 1c and any showers will be snow wat to cold for sleet infact just had graupel here there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Well I can tell you the panic buying is in full swing in Arklow :D
    Tesco has ran out of pizza and had no bread at one stage.
    I got the last 3 loaves in supervalu but I presume theres more coming.

If I could get car down the road I might consider Tesco..... Came in about 3am-walked back from a friends - 2 cars came off main road across path & ploughed into esb plant behind me NICE ! Gardai obviously didnt attend as bits of car all over road.... No one could get car up hill of estate so just abandoned..... Driveway is a no go - sheet ice ...

Ive been threatening to empty the presses & freezer for ages now.. Looks like greenbeans & curry sauce for next week week now with Ambrosia & custard for desert ... Eat like a king; eat like a king !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Met eireann changes its forecast every few hours quite radically!!! Now they say there may only be isolated/scattered snow showers on the East coast. Bitterly cold here in Castleknock, West Dublin. Everything white and frozen as it was a couple of says ago with about 4 cm of lying snow. temperature 1 degree but feels colder.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's totally wrong, the airmass over Ireland tomrorow will be signifigantly colder than today.

850hpa temperatures down to -10c while today -5c.

Dewpoints much lower thank today, the M2 bouy will have dewpoints below freezing tomorrow easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Temperatures have gone up since this morning, it is sleet here now with my temperature gauge out the back +0.9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Still freezing cold here (Castleknock/Blanchardstown) with a light graupel about 10 mins ago - still snowy everywhere though in my estate. Higher up in Dublin the snow depth is impressive. Going around on skis and skidoos yesterday..I have filmed and taken photos of this just like last year. Will post them on web when my wife uploads them this evening!!!!:D

That's totally wrong, the airmass over Ireland tomrorow will be signifigantly colder than today.

850hpa temperatures down to -10c while today -5c.

Dewpoints much lower thank today, the M2 bouy will have dewpoints below freezing tomorrow easily.
    What then do you make of the positive temperatures behind this front in inland central Scotland?

Temperatures have gone up since this morning, it is sleet here now with my temperature gauge out the back +0.9c

Yes but when winds change to be north easterly that'll bring down temps and dp's expect temps of -0.9c this time tomorrow

They already have changed to NErly in Scotland...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_12.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

on this http://www.wetter3.de/animation.html it shows milder air over us 2moro than today but turning much colder again from Monday. Both Met Eireann and BBC have it slightly milder for us 2moro as well. Next weekend it shows the cold still over us just about with milder air close to the soundwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Feels a bit 'milder' here too in the midlands - I see Mullingar reporting rain at its station and temperatures everywhere are perhaps a degree or 2 higher than this time yeaterday. I guess this is the maritime air influence ahead of the weak disturbance from the north now coming in, with colder air flooding in behind.

Still frosty in the sheltered spots out of the sun.

What then do you make of the positive temperatures behind this front in inland central Scotland?

Temperatures across Scotland will decline during the coming hours the low dewpoints should steadily move across and south across Ireland.

The reason for the slightly higher temps in Scotland at the moment is due to firstly the modified air slowly exiting and increased precipitation, cloud etc.

Don't worry there is chilly air behind that low!

This time tomorrow;

Rtavn302.png

• Advertisement

So, there is milder being dragged in behind this front aswell as in front of it?

My, that's an interesting cold front;)

That chart stinks of temporary ridging. You expect there'll be much in the line of precipitation there? A cold and dry day for the most part, methinks.

So, there is milder being dragged in behind this front aswell as in front of it?

What you mean?

There is a cold front pushing south probably crossing Ireland this evening, behind it the -10c 850hpa air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Tomorrow will be a couple of degrees colder then today. It will barely be above freezing tomorrow according to all the model output. None show it being milder then today. This will be the mildest day for the next 7 days at least.

As for next weekend - again no model shows the cold ending next weekend. Of course it may be the case as that is quite a distance out but seems unlikely atm.

No the milder air is exciting Scotland that's why they are at 2c. You can see freezing temperatures in northern Scotland forming behind the front feels colder here now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

hey WC - you were spot on with your predictions for me........Well done.... bit of a thaw on but not going anywhere really. Kiddies are in Gorey still need to get them home - school on Thursday.... When would you suggest I head that direction ... Whats in our path that we should be aware of ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Snowing lightly in Newcastle co. Dublin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Frost under the sun is rapidly melting away here. was out this morning and the frost was crunching under foot like snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

are you getting the impression that everything is being pushed back? originally today was supposed to be bitterly cold with no talk of milder air in the mix. can we just take it as red that anytime there is precipitation in the form of troughs coming from the north that conditions become marginal, given the very nature of a trough's formation this is likely the way it will always be. don't correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems unless we get a polar low, there is always a greater risk that we will see sleet falling by day rather than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sleet has now turned to snow again and the temp has gone down to +0.5c

• Advertisement

What you mean?

There is a cold front pushing south probably crossing Ireland this evening, behind it the -10c 850hpa air.
    The point is that temperatures are supposed to drop as the cold front passes over. We can see in the case of Glasgow, that it's not really happening this way. Even if they do fall later on, why did they not actually drop immediately after the front passed?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/glasgow_bishopton_latest_weather.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement