Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Raining here in Sallins at the moment

Sky is full of greyish cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Elmo5 wrote: »
    very light and has now stopped. sky looks really dark, all the lights in the house on!

maybe it'll be thunder snow :D

no such luck though I think!

we wish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Light rain falling here now, It's so annoying because when the temps are right for snow the showers can't seem to make it this far inland but when the temps are a bit too high for snow the showers make it here no problem.

:D
    light snow just started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Some precip in D15 now.

Started as a drizzly rain but seemed to turn more wintry, more snowy..now seems to have stopped..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mad DIY wrote: »
    That precip showing on the radar over the Naas and Newbridge areas - is it falling as snow does anyone know, and what are the road conditions around there ?

Road conditions on main road are okish , it falling as 90% Rain with a bit of snow thrown in to the mix .

Temp is 1.7

DP 0.7

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Lots of snow falling in Aughrim

:( no more as yet, maybe later :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The rain snow mix has now turned to a Snow rain mix

70% Snow

30% Rain

EDIT : Stopped now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

We have just had a light snow shower over Dublin 15 - Castleknock/Blanch but it has stopped now. Sky is still very dark though. Id started off sleety but then changed to light snow. Hope it becomes clear again as I do not WANT RAIN OR SLEET.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Light rain in Lusk...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Not a bit of precipitation for the day here in Dublin 13, with only a small amount of thaw in the afternoon. The sky has gone very white and heavy in the last while, though...

Temps have dropped to 1.6 and dp 0.6

Looks like there is some more on the way too :D

Just had a look at the m2 buoy and its a Tropical 6c with DP of 4c

100589.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Raining here.......................Dublin 20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Interesting radar loop now as the colder northeasterly flow is winning the battle against the less cold northwesterly just north of Dublin, producing showers from the Irish Sea that should be hitting the east in the next few hours.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

100590.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Raining here Dublin 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well what age are you?
    1991 is 18 years ago - can you remember that or '87 ?
    Because frankly theres been nothing like this ,including last february since those times.Whats forecast is very similar to both.
    By the way both those spells were hit and miss for the snow but those under shower trains got tonnes of the stuff.

I'm pretty basic in requirements for bitter cold.
    If we get the synoptics right and we're being told we have -8 to -10 850's and lower over us [Tomorrow!] fine but I always look upwind.
    When you see snow cover over most of Europe and daytime maxima sub zero and in fact well below -5c...then you have the needed surface air feed to complete the picture.

I hear you on what is and what isn't FI but and heres the RUB against your [and I say this with respect] lack of experience of these things...We ARE actually locked into an East or North east flow for at least untill thursday of next week.
    Model uncertainty after that is how we get out of it..
    A week or two ago we were model wise in a much more fragile position [even though nature knew] and that was whether we were going to be locked into the flow we are entering.

There is now unprecedented model agreement for what we are in.It's how we get out of it is now where the disagreement lies.
    Ergo relax-if decent falls of snow don't come to many [I've already had a surprise one] it will just be bad bad luck from a snow lovers point of view.
    As it stands,850 temps over the sea,wind direction,Air source and sustained air source all point to snow especially in the East in my view.
    Read MT's current thoughts on it if you don't believe mine.
    His analysis to date has been very spot on.
    I would not have thought that age meant so much on the weather forum. You're taking NErly winds for granted when all it would take is for the Greenland High to build a bit more towards or for it to realign slightly as the week progresses to leave the east coast with dry northerly winds for much of the week!

And in general, I'm willing to respect people's forecasts. But it goes both ways. I felt that I made a good call on this forum by not expecting much snow before Thursday afternoon this week, against the calls of many people who said that Johh Eagleton was wrong. I think I too have the right to comment on synoptics with my own experiences. I have only disagreed with one tiny but critical piece out of all that post in terms of predictions. Wind direction. The further north up the east coast one goes, the more important any changes in forecasted wind direction are. The risk for something to go wrong with that aspect of the synoptics is still very substantial in my view.

As far as age or even amount of experience goes in this forum, I'm sure the mods themselves would not agree with it becoming an issue in how credible a forecast is, were that to occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Couple of spots of rain earlier but hardly enough to wet the ground. Cloud breaking up at the moment and temp starting to fall at 2.0c. The sky at the moment wouldn't look out of place in Greenland with black looking, ragged stratus moving down from the N.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rougies wrote: »
    Interesting radar loop now as the colder northeasterly flow is winning the battle against the less cold northwesterly just north of Dublin, producing showers from the Irish Sea that should be hitting the east in the next few hours.

100590.jpg
    A great picture. You can even see something like a convergence zone stretching from Angelsey out into the Irish Sea.

• Advertisement

In my humble opinion there will be very little more sleet/snow over Dublin or Kildare in the next few hours. The odd slither but nothing to do dmagae to lying snow especially in the West and North West of Dublin and East Kildare. Roundwood/Laragh/Aughrim may get some more light snow.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Is there supposed to be snow in Kilkenny?

Right now there is just unbelievable frost and ice. I've never seen ice so thick :eek:

Our pipes have frozen so no water for us. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Ah hey this is such a big dissappointment here in Donegal...NO SNOW!!

Here's hoping we get plenty of snow tonight, so I don't have to face Dublin tomorrow!

It sure is cold enough anyways:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

100590.jpg

My wind Vein vane has been pointing direct north this past hour or more, maybe I'm at the point where both winds are clashing! :p

Dry here thus far, temp currently 1.1c and a DP of -0.8c. My low of last night was -5.8c at 7.06am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

100590.jpg

Sorry, excuse my ignorance when it comes to understanding the weather but where did you get these winds from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Where did all this warm air come from? I left work at 4 with the car reading 5c/4c. Havent seen that kind of temp since about the 18th/19th Dec. Got home and the weather station was reading 3.9c!!! Its now dropping now, but possibly not enough for a frost tonight. Currently 2.2c here now. This time yesterday it was around -2c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very light sleet here, winds have just changed north-easterly past few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Richyj_0 wrote: »
    Sorry, excuse my ignorance when it comes to understanding the weather but where did you get these winds from?

They're not exactly the winds, more the general path of the showers at the moment judging by the met eireann radar loop. Please excuse my crude photoshop job! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Advertisement

Temparature close to 0 degrees now in Castleknock with Cloud dissipating a bit. If cloud builds again in the next few hours the showers will be of hail, glaubel or snow.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement