Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

jenzz wrote: »
    Mine are DM rain .... The snowman melted my baby: mad:: mad: Hes dead!: Mad: [/ QUOTE]

Temperatures and DP's are falling from the North. It has not quite reached you yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

darkman2 wrote: »
    Mine are DM rain .... The snowman melted my baby: mad:: mad: Hes dead!: Mad: [/ QUOTE]

Temperatures and DP's are falling from the North. It has not quite reached you yet.

Ill go out & give the baby snowman mouth to mouth so & bring him back from the dead............

Ah no - his heAd just rolled off

At some stage, I would guess in the next 2 hours, if anyone has any precipitation atm in the East it should turn immediately to snow. There is nothing preventing it after 10pm. DP's will be below zero. 850 temps will be sub -9 before midnight. Temperatures will fall.

The showers you have could just pass through and that would be that but if they continue they will definately turn to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

At some stage, I would guess in the next 2 hours, if anyone has any precipitation atm in the East it should turn immediately to snow. There is nothing preventing it after 10pm. DP's will be below zero. 850 temps will be sub -9 before midnight. Temperatures will fall.

The showers you have could just pass through and that would be that but if they continue they will definately turn to snow.

Hopefully the shower train will last so.

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

up to 2c now at Dublin Airport:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

LOOK OUT ENGLAND, A BAD MOONS A RISING. POTENTIAL CRIPPLING SNOWSTORM ON THE HORIZON FOR SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL ENGLAND!

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

If it happens hopefully we can get some too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ill go out & give the baby snowman mouth to mouth so & bring him back from the dead............

Ah no - his heAd just rolled off

Ah well, at least your snowman had a natural death, unlike one of mine! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looks good on satellite...heading straight for south dublin/north wicklow
    All fairly light showers though.

100634.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Easterlies Vrs. The Atlantic. Crunch time. Hopefully a snow crunch:p

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

The Atlantic doesn't stand a chance this time, it's gonna end up like croppyboy's snowman :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

redsunset wrote: »
    LOOK OUT ENGLAND, A BAD MOONS A RISING. POTENTIAL CRIPPLING SNOWSTORM ON THE HORIZON FOR SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL ENGLAND!

Interesting he says "this kind of event could be the winter storm of a life time for alot of northwest Europe"

ok we have Met Eireann saying it is the coldest since the early 1960's, and we have the John Eagleton predicting a major snow event being likely sometime, well we are due one.....
    I guess we need a major snow event for this winter to go down in memory but it already memorable for the cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

owenc wrote: »
    oh if only it was like that this morning!:rolleyes: but who cares now its -2c and getting colder hurray!

ugh great temps rose to -0.8c we just arnt going to get below -5c tonight! or even -4c.....:mad: my fun in weather always gets ruined! for frigg sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Ah well, at least your snowman had a natural death, unlike one of mine!

I wish i had snow to do that with my carbine:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just had a light snow shower. Temp +1.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Thaw now underway here, forget snow, all we'll get tonight is rain!
    What a climate that we have to suffer, a front moves down from the north and what does it introduce- milder weather!
    And by the way Evelyn never even mentioned the word "snow" in her forecast for the week ahead. It's a Scandinavian high and a screaming beasterly or nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Rougies wrote: »
    Looks good on satellite...heading straight for south dublin/north wicklow
    All fairly light showers though.

100634.jpg

evening all...
    pardon my ignorance, but what you have ringed above, is that a streamer or just a front/ edge of something? would love to know more about streamers if anyone is in the mood to elaborate or show me where it was previously posted?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

missed the met Eireann forcast wats the story for the east coast this week? earlier it seemd to be dry for the most part.. typical we get the coldest weather for 50 years and its dry lol well we did get snow here in wicklow town but there is a thaw under way at the moment :(and Hi all im new to this part of the boards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Su Campu wrote: »
    But until early Tuesday we're in a quiet spell, with not much activity going to happen in the next 48hrs. Maybe some limited shallow convection on the Irish Sea, but with ridging increasing from the north tonight and tomorrow, we need to wait till late Monday for the northerly outbreak to make its effects felt, first in northern parts.
    Think its time to take a break from the weather watching on boards till then :cool:
    Especially after hearing the phrase 'dazzling sunshine' on met eireanns forecast lol

knoximus wrote: »
    I wish i had snow to do that with my carbine:mad:

the professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

What a climate that we have to suffer, a front moves down from the north and what does it introduce- milder weather!
    And by the way Evelyn never even mentioned the word "snow" in her forecast for the week ahead. It's a Scandinavian high and a screaming beasterly or nothing!

I beg to differ Elmer, I'm nearly certain she mentioned snow. She also seemed to be quite sure that this cold spell will last at least up to next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well I have to say I've enjoyed the last couple of days...! best new years eve for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Heh deathwish comet :D

In other news...theres no shortage in the nwp's [computer weather models] of flight data at the moment anynow :D

Thats a pretty nice link, thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I am in Dublin 15 in Castleknock/Blanch area and there is no thaw here. Roads are still white as are gardens and roundabouts. Maybe as you get closer to the city it gets that bit milder which is normal in big urban areas.:rolleyes: Eveklyn did menton more snow on the way in her forecast and that will be for the East coast on Tuesday and Thursday.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

redsunset wrote: »

Bastardi has been on the ball on most occasions. Odd to see him hone in on a particular event considering it is still a long way off in meteorological terms. The scale of the event he is referring to sounds incredible and I doubt that a 3-5 day snow event in England would not have any influence on our weather (particularly our east coast).

Been looking at the GFS for Tuesday onwards and there is real potential for snowfall along the W, N and E coasts. It is very exciting as the ensembles appear to be upgrading the potential with every run.

All the models are in agreement that we will see more organised wintry activity spread from the E/NE from Friday/Saturday of next week. Normally wouldn't pay much attention to these so far out but Joe B has now whet the appetite.

ADD ON: Just spotted that ME are also indicating more widespread and significant activity from tuesday and wed onwards. They were not location specific though other than to say coastal areas for tuesday. (ME - Tuesday will be dry in most places, but it'll be very cold and snow showers will affect coastal areas with fresh accumulations in these areas. During Wednesday there will be an increasing risk of longer spells of sleet and snow)

Rtavn1321.png

BB will be pleased;)

eskimocat wrote: »
    evening all...
    pardon my ignorance, but what you have ringed above, is that a streamer or just a front/ edge of something? would love to know more about streamers if anyone is in the mood to elaborate or show me where it was previously posted?

Thanks

It's kind of a streamer in the makings, that never really got going. The showers are very light. The whiter the cloud tops (in the IR satellite), the heavier the showers, and as you can see they are quite dark grey compared to the showers heading into Wales to the south for example.

If you view the satellite loop, you can see the clouds forming in a line as they cross the Irish Sea here....
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

this is what we want, but with deeper convection (bigger, whiter clouds) :)

I think that's right anyway, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK I reckon as I read my tea leaves.... :D my forecast for dublin is weather getting milder tomorrow. A thaw in most places, followed by a frost tomorrow night, which will bring icy raods, but that'll burn off mostly by 10 monday morning. Another cold monday night with a dusting of snow that kinda sticks, but kinda doesnt. Some hard frost but no real snow at all in dublin for the rest of the "big freeze". It'll be interesting to see how I do :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Rtavn1321.png

BB will be pleased;)

Wow, look at that cold in France!

To the untrained, is that a direct feed to us from the arctic almost? :confused:

Edit - better still, can you give a brief explanation as to what that might deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Rougies wrote: »
    It's kind of a streamer in the makings, that never really got going. The showers are very light. The whiter the cloud tops (in the IR satellite), the heavier the showers, and as you can see they are quite dark grey compared to the showers heading into Wales to the south for example.

If you view the satellite loop, you can see the clouds forming in a line as they cross the Irish Sea here....
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

this is what we want, but with deeper convection (bigger, whiter clouds) :)

I think that's right anyway, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere ;)

thank you so much, that definitely clears a few questions up!!! prop answers some i hadn't even thought off too!!! nicely explained!:D

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Wow, look at that cold in France!

To the untrained, is that a direct feed to us from the arctic almost? :confused:

Edit - better still, can you give a brief explanation as to what that might deliver?

Snow for the East and South, subzero temperatures everywhere else.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement