Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

ffarrell wrote: »
    I am in Dublin 15 in Castleknock/Blanch area and there is no thaw here. Roads are still white as are gardens and roundabouts. Maybe as you get closer to the city it gets that bit milder which is normal in big urban areas.:rolleyes: Eveklyn did menton more snow on the way in her forecast and that will be for the East coast on Tuesday and Thursday.;)

No thaw in Glasnevin either - still white everywhere - although the temperature did rise to 2C in the last couple of hours which was the highest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

balmy 1 degree here in Limerick, compared to last night its a heatwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Nothing but rain here in D6 so far today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Tuesday event

gens-0-2-72.png?12

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Tuesday event

Is that not rain along most of the east coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

woohoo !! proper snow in naas !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I hope this Météo France chart brings a bit of hope to those of you who live in East Waterford as it does suggest you may get some snow on Tuesday. The East will certainly get it..usual spots around Dublin, Wicklow but it also indicates the South East....I will keep my fingers crossed for you..... Allez, neigez fort la-bas!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

t|nt|n wrote: »
    woohoo !! proper snow in naas !!

Was it a light shower of now or a heavy one??:rolleyes: Still snowing??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Felixdhc wrote: »

He is using a different ensemble. This is the real chart

75-574.GIF?02-18

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Felixdhc wrote: »

Hi Felixdhc,

That was actually the 12Z GFS Control run, so it should update soon to the 18Z. That would be all snowfall, without a doubt, it's just the Control Run runs at a lower resolution.

GFS Precip Charts, especially from the Ensembles, are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable.

I really liked the 9.40PM Broadcast, it was using the updated ECMWF charts and had snow showers moving into Eastern/Southeastern areas throughout the week.

SA :)

• Advertisement

Maybe a little something for the west later in the week

gfs-2-120.png?18

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

darkman2 wrote: »
    Maybe a little something for the west later in the week

gfs-2-120.png?18

is that snow in africa!

owenc wrote: »
    is that snow in africa!

There are mountains all along that area where the snow snows up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

They actually get more snow in Morocco than we do in Ireland! True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

owenc wrote: »
    is that snow in africa!

That Band aid song is full of lies, nothing growing in Africa, no snow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

balmy 1 degree here in Limerick, compared to last night its a heatwave.

Aye, temps have gone up a bit here in last few hours again, currently at +0.6 C

Rougies wrote: »
    They actually get more snow in Morocco than we do in Ireland! True story.

yup!! The Atlas Mountains:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Mountains
    800px-Tizi%27n%27Toubkal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Complete novice but does Tuesday look particularly cold plus plenty of cold coming on on those NNE winds? Any views or comments appreciated from the experts.....

72_1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

I have a complaint to make. Got rain in d6 earlier for about 20 mins, no snow. I am not impressed. We have had clouds here on and off but no snow.
    Where do I lodge my complaint????;) I want snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dbyrne wrote: »
    I have a complaint to make. Got rain in d6 earlier for about 20 mins, no snow. I am not impressed. We have had clouds here on and off but no snow.

Mother nature
    >

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I can see these clouds over Dublin from Maynooth, they look fairly developed (vertically as well), quite an impressive sight with the base reflecting the orange lights of the city and the developed top beautifully illuminated by the moon. I wish I had a proper camera now...

Now, I'm a beginner in the whole weather stuff, but I'll be fairly surprised if that doesn't dump any snow over south Dublin and the likes of NE Wicklow/Kildare.

dfbemt wrote: »
    Complete novice but does Tuesday look particularly cold plus plenty of cold coming on on those NNE winds? Any views or comments appreciated from the experts.....

72_1.gif

Yes, snow showers or a longer period of snow in East and Southeast parts. :) It's only one run bare in mind. It could all change tomorrow (probrably won't).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I missed all the fun around here :) I was at home in Belmullet for the last two weeks and didn't have any internet access.
    Current conditions here in Sligo, clear skies and -1.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

dfbemt wrote: »

Hi There,

Yes indeed, you are quite correct :)

Very cold weather on Tuesday, with a very unstable northeasterly airflow across the country. Snow showers are quite possible in this flow, with areas of the Northwest, Northeast, East & Southeast at risk. Note the trough in the North Sea, dragging down bitterly cold air upon it's northern flank, such air feeding right down across Ireland.

Also note though it's a bit out yet so bear in mind there could be changes still.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Gerry Murphy, he must have been out trying to prevent it, didn't see him on TV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It does seem unreal that we've had the coldest spell that I can remember in my lifetime, and sustained cold at that, and after so much rain in November that we've had essentially no snow. Here in Trim, we've had a dusting around Christmas, and a dusting on New Year's Eve. Thankfully I saw a bit more in Dublin on New Year's Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Min wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy, he must have been out trying to prevent it, didn't see him on TV.
    Sure he is in charge of all snow shield maintenance. It is a full time job these days. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I can see these clouds over Dublin from Maynooth, they look fairly developed (vertically as well), quite an impressive sight with the base reflecting the orange lights of the city and the developed top beautifully illuminated by the moon. I wish I had a proper camera now...

Now, I'm a beginner in the whole wather stuff, but I'd be fairly surprised if that doesn't dump any snow over south Dublin and the likes of NE Wicklow/Kildare.

Not too sure they will dump snow. We had a shower a while ago and it was rain. Also nearly all reports on here in the last few hours have reported rain/sleet. And temperatures appear to be at their highest now then they have been for the last 2 days!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Winger_PL wrote: »

Now, I'm a beginner in the whole weather stuff, but I'll be fairly surprised if that doesn't dump any snow over south Dublin and the likes of NE Wicklow/Kildare.

Unfortunately, according to RainToday any precip from those clouds seems to want to remain just offshore :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I just looked out the window to find that all of my snow/hail from the other day has melted, it was there only 3 or 4 hours ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement