Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wibbler wrote: »
    I'm with you there.

It's been a puzzling cold spell for me so far. Persistent cold, the like of which we haven't seen in years, but without significant wintry precipitation at my nth. Dublin location. Next week will probably see me continue to scratch my head and wonder if those snowy spells I remember are actually planted memories. :D

Some of my confusion may be to do with my location. I lived in Dublin 12 in the 70s & 80s, which is further inland and further south than Swords. I remember some good falls of snow while living there. In January 1982, which is the coldest spell I can remember, it was snowmaggedon there.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and last February saw little more than a dusting here in Swords, while places like Castleknock, Lucan etc. saw much more. Here in Swords, we got 1cm of hail here in recent days. I wonder what Dublin 12 got? In rating this spell, I'm probably comparing apples with oranges.

Still, for all the disappointment in not seeing significant snow, at least it's been good fun on this forum. :D

The worst outcome from this will be that we have snow showers onto the Irish sea coasts from Tuesday 12:00 to Wednesday 18:00

We will have at least 30/36 hours of a very unstable, bitterly cold NE wind over the Irish sea, 850hpa temps from -8 to -11c, 500hpa temps touching -40c, air temperatures of no more than 1c, dewpoints of -1c or below.

The ingredients are all perfect, perhaps a tinge of the wind more off the East would be better but if we dont't manage to get at least 10cm's of snow in the Dublin Region, likely more in Wicklow i would very disappointed and to be honest surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Bright spells and fresh breezes in Galway at present. Clouds moving in though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    typical they get loads of snow after us being colder than them for weeks.. then in the summer they get a heatwave...... typical typical typical now you kow what that post i wrote above is talking about!

You could always move there? Im flying to Stansted on Friday from Knock, So fingers crossed. Everytime ive gone backto SE England in the winter ive experienced mega snowfall there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    You could always move there? Im flying to Stansted on Friday from Knock, So fingers crossed. Everytime ive gone backto SE England in the winter ive experienced mega snowfall there!

well i could i've got sister and a brother moving there.... well everytime ive went it was 25c lol and the last time i went was in october and it was snowing......... I don't think i'll be moving to the south east too populated probably northern england or scotland maybe aberdeen my sister lives in dundee .. scotlands much better aswell as it is only 20 miles across the sea! the closest part is only 14 miles accross the sea from ballycastle you can see the cars driving in a really clear day!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

The worst outcome from this will be that we have snow showers onto the Irish sea coasts from Tuesday 12:00 to Wednesday 18:00

The ingredients are all perfect, perhaps a tinge of the wind more off the East would be better but if we dont't manage to get at least 10cm's of snow in the Dublin Region, likely more in Wicklow i would very disappointed and to be honest surprised.

That's a big call :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

well yeah i know that because we have had colder but im saying if london got that it would be on the news they are that pathetic its making britain look warm! like spain and as for the term britain ni can sometimes be included for that and i do not know why you would care when you are not in ni?

It can't be because it technically isn't in 'Britain', and secondly, I don't.

well yeah i know that because we have had colder but im saying if london got that it would be on the news they are that pathetic its making britain look warm! like spain and as for the term britain ni can sometimes be included for that and i do not know why you would care when you are not in ni?

Look mate, your starting to get a bit annoying here. NI is part of Britain and when the BBC National news/Weather is on, If anything has happened in Scotland/Wales or NI it is reported. The UK parliment is in London, England thus a lot of news is orientated around London. You always have your local BBC News to watch and see if your weather reports are mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

wow nice timing;)

if joe bastardi's prediction is correct many airports around london could suffer flight delays on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We will have at least 30/36 hours of a very unstable, bitterly cold NE wind over the Irish sea, 850hpa temps from -8 to -11c, 500hpa temps touching -40c, air temperatures of no more than 1c, dewpoints of -1c or below.

I would like to see those isobars more tightly packed, the airflow this week looks too slack for my liking. I think it will be a case of same old story - the warm sea (10c) will keep any showers in coastal areas as rain or sleet.
    And groan yet again!! I see on the Bracknell chart this morning one of those irritating warm sectors moving down over the country tomorrow night. These are like a bad rash that just wont go away!

wow nice timing;)

if joe bastardi's prediction is correct many airports around london could suffer flight delays on Friday.

Yes i always seem to get caught up in some sort of delay when i travel! Im going over to Essex for 10 days.

• Advertisement

Look mate, your starting to get a bit annoying here. NI is part of Britain and when the BBC National news/Weather is on, If anything has happened in Scotland/Wales or NI it is reported. The UK parliment is in London, England thus a lot of news is orientated around London. You always have your local BBC News to watch and see if your weather reports are mentioned.

How is saying they bum up a snow event when london gets it annoying!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Trying to snow here at the moment slight flurries but relatively clear skies.

ps here is drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Whats annoying, is you constantly telling us, how annoyed you are that you dont get snow, even though you say you live near the coast, which as we know at best of times is marginal enough for snow.

We get it, now please stop with the constant whinging.

How is saying they bum up a snow event when london gets it annoying!:eek:

This is a weather forum and we should be discussing weather issues within the Island of Ireland, not political geography! Lets get back on topic mate.

I would like to see those isobars more tightly packed, the airflow this week looks too slack for my liking. I think it will be a case of same old story - the warm sea (10c) will keep any showers in coastal areas as rain or sleet.
    And groan yet again!! I see on the Bracknell chart this morning one of those irritating warm sectors moving down over the country tomorrow night. These are like a bad rash that just wont go away!

damn you NAD Damn you to hell:mad:

Yes, a warm sector that will make conditions the wrong side of marginal for snow even though we are supposed to be in a bitter north easterly flow by that stage.

yet in february, if we have slightly less cold weather, snow will likely fall because sea temperatures will likely be at their lowest for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Snowing in Millstreet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Any reports from anyone in south kerry or Cork on the below yet? Probably not much more than sleet at coast and flurries elsewh
    ere. Looks like it is rertreating south again here
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Indeed let us stick to talking about the weather in the British Isles and Ireland. Oh and don't gang up on Owen from he wee country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Heavy sleet in Cork, on top of frozen roads must surely be bad news
    Strange it's not snow

Heavy sleet in Cork, on top of frozen roads must surely be bad news
    Strange it's not snow
    We had this on the 27th, -4c air temps and sleet/rain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just shows how marginal things are, with the 0°C isotherm at 5000ft just to our south.

100685.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yes, a warm sector that will make conditions the wrong side of marginal for snow even though we are supposed to be in a bitter north easterly flow by that stage.

yet in february, if we have slightly less cold weather, snow will likely fall because sea temperatures will likely be at their lowest for the year.

It will probably be the usual snow for higher ground.

Yes i always seem to get caught up in some sort of delay when i travel! Im going over to Essex for 10 days.

nice! i hope you have a good time.

for me, provided i was on holiday, a delay due to major snowfall would be worth it.

This is a weather forum and we should be discussing weather issues within the Island of Ireland, not political geography! Lets get back on topic mate.

If you think i give a crud about religious political crap your skating on thin ice.. i think i have enough to be bothered about whos british or irish what the name of cities are and what countries we live in! ugh!!!! im tired of this policital crap!

snow shower approaching here temp is -0.5c may lay/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭istabraq

Weathercheck is at it again getting everybodys hopes up.I hope you are spot on this time you were very close the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Ah yes, but you forgot to mention that at that point the sea will be too cold to give good convection so there will only be flurries. :D

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Any reports from anyone in south kerry or Cork on the below yet? Probably not much more than sleet at coast and flurries elsewh
    ere. Looks like it is rertreating south again here
    3hr-rain.gif

well thats good we dont want a repeat of last week!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

Snowing in macroom finally! heres a pic i took yesterday near millstreet

DSCF0087.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The farming weather/forecast for the week will be on RTE1 within the next 10 minutes, news starts at 12:55pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

She (on the Radio One forecast at 12.55) said a 'trough' will gradually cross the country, tomorrow? She never said what will fall from it though, maybe its just passing through? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement