Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Slimity wrote: »
    Hi BB,

Can't seem to get that video to load for some reason, do you have any other links for it? Judging by the comments it seems very interesting.

Thanks.

It's the web browser you are using. Try using a different browser, like Firefox Chrome or Opera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

No problem with snow in the East especially Wednesday onward if the GFS comes off

Rtavn1081.png

It's more in line with the UK Met Office.

Very, very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Umm

I wonder will the rest of the models paint a similar picture.

If so we are facing our severest week of winter cold since 1987, and the longevity of the spell looks like surpassing even that event.

I wonder when will the next time 10c is recorded in Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

doccy wrote: »
    It's the web browser you are using. Try using a different browser, like Firefox Chrome or Opera.

Have tried with Firefox and IE to no avail. Just blackscreen. Every other video works.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I am giving up on Munster getting any more snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    Conditions are still looking fairly reasonable for the formation of a polar or two tomorrow night, but Scotland could get it instead of us. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was joking about the "or two" bit!!

those feckers have pinched enough of our snow already. surely if ye can forsee the winning lotto numbers you have the power to make sure they don't get it instead of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have tried with Firefox and IE to no avail. Just blackscreen. Every other video works.

Thanks anyway.
    The problem is with the video. I even downloaded it independantly and VLC player cannot tell what format it is in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dissapointing charts for North Dublin, Meath and Louth with only a risk of light flurries, the main action will be Dublin/Wicklow border and southwards and maybe over to parts of Kildare and Carlow. Hopfully something like a polar low ore more easterly windflow will develop and bring snow to more areas of eastern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

those feckers have pinched enough of our snow already. surely if ye can forsee the winning lotto numbers you have the power to make sure they don't get it instead of us!

Jaysus did those numbers win last night? :eek: I forgot to check! :D

Well if a polar low does hit us instead then it'll be like winning the lotto.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Umm

I wonder will the rest of the models paint a similar picture.

If so we are facing our severest week of winter cold since 1987, and the longevity of the spell looks like surpassing even that event.

I wonder when will the next time 10c is recorded in Britain?

will this roller-coaster ever bring any sort of snow event that will make this cold memorable,i think not and this lengthy cold spell will easily slip from our minds,except for the north-west,the only area to see any decent snow so far
    loseing interest and patience with this cold.
    excuse my rant im just fed up with it all
    jambo

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The problem is with the video. I even downloaded it independantly and VLC player cannot tell what format it is in.

Finally got it to work. I clicked on 11.46 hyperlink when I got it yo youtube, this started the video near the end, so I scrolled it back to the start and hey presto!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Bit of science needed here please ? My temp is 3.6 dp is -3.7. I was looking it up on wikiped there. Does this mean a severe frost even if temp above 0?? Feels much colder now than any other day tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

jenzz wrote: »
    Bit of science needed here please ? My temp is 3.6 dp is -3.7. I was looking it up on wikiped there. Does this mean a severe frost even if temp above 0?? Feels much colder now than any other day tbh
    your air temp has to go below 3.7c i think for any air frost to form I think. Forgive me if I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Here's a good explanation...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/frost.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Can someone explain to me what DP is? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Bond-007 wrote: »
    youtubeyoutube]

don't know how Aidan from RTE's Cafe got that BBC gig???:P

That is a seriously snowy forecast! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Tell you what did anyone notice a difference in conditions as you travel further towards the city.

Got a train at clonsilla. Clonsilla is a winter wonderland with a lot of snow and a fair bit of ice but got off the train at connolly and there is not one trace of snow or ice on amiens street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what DP is? thanks
    this should explain fairly well
    http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_dewpoint_temperature.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Spotted this comment at the bottom of it " Gotta be one of the best forecasts 'snow wise' from the BBC that I've ever seen/since 1991 :D "

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

I can forsee what will happen for me on Tuesday/Wednesday.

The precip sliding just too south of here over Howth and sliding through south Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, just missing here! I really want an extra few degrees off the east from this flow.

Any chance for Carlow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    don't know how Aidan from RTE's Cafe got that BBC gig???:P

How did he even get the RTE gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

You have to realise, that very nice 'snowy' forecast, is for Britain, specifically southeast areas. Wether Ireland does well out of this remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Thanks anyway.

Click on HD. It will work then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Only if you live in southern UK. It is looking like that mid atlantic high pressure may thwart any major snowfall for next week. I'm in pessimistic mood, and the models show nothing to change that today. For Ireland cold and frosty, yes - snowy, no. Hope I am wrong by Friday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

That BBC Countryfile forecast will really encourage some serious panic buying and hoarding won't it!
    A brave forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Generally, all other things being equal, the lowest the air temperature can fall is to its dewpoint, at which point condensation will occur, releasing latent heat, and stopping the temperature falling any more.

So with a dewpoint of -3.7°C, the lowest air temperature you can expect is also -3.7°C, assuming there is very little wind to blow in air of a different dewpoint.

The ground of course could get several degrees less.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Lucky feckers over in England, that is some forecast!

I am seriously jealous :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Doesnt look like the north or west will see much snow, maybe on monday night but after that it seems to be all east :( , a nice forecast from bbc , he looks identical to that rte bloke alright,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement