Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rougies wrote: »
    Theoretical fall of snow? There's 1-2 inches lying here in south dublin!

The event the Eagle was forecasting is over, we are in a diifferent situation now.

I was in the same boat as you yesterday, I was close to throwing my PC out the window due to lack of snow! Patience.

There are some good easterlys forecast in the models as well as north/northwesterlies. Patience.

Seriously, the roads in dublin are trecherous. What ever about a car having a little slide, imagine a bus full of people losing control on a bend :eek: It's the council's fault for not gritting the roads. In fairness, the snow last night wasn't expected to be so heavy and they're probably low on resources, but they are still to blame. It's funny how much disruption a simple oul snow shower can cause in this city :rolleyes:
    I should have added the word City to the Dublin comment. There's feck all snow anywhere between Tyrone and Dublin City centre that I saw. Absolutely no reason to cease all bus services. They are NOT treacherous if drivers knew how to handle them. If you drive slowly enough, then you don't need to swerve or brake much. And I was in a bus today that was able to drive at the speed limit in Co. Dublin even though the snow was on the roadside. The road being driven on was dry and had no frost or snow on it. Heck, I even walked on the road instead of the footpath in Dublin to avoid ice, several times! I know that the event the Eagle forecasted was over. Over as of what, yesterday afternoon? But he was right, wasn't he?

And to make matters worse for DCC, the snow was forecast for yesterday and today. He hastened to point out that showers will follow the LP as it retreats south, and he explicitly said they would be of snow when they reached the east coast. The forecast was there for all to see in the city council.

My patience is admittedly low, but I think after 2 weeks of model gazing and wishful thinking on this forum, and even the bad timing of everything, I don't see why anyone here can claim why next week is will be "the week". Twice in the last month there's been "ooh look at those charts in t+120, they look pretty and we like the trend". Then they fail to verify and we'll go through the same high expectations and ignore the bad news when it comes and just take the good news into account. I admit that the forecasts are good still for the next few days, but there have been better forecasts for here at t+120 hours and they didn't deliver the goods.

I hope someone gets what I'm saying....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Snowman10 wrote: »
    Walking home from the foundry last night and it was snowing, graigue bridge was fair slippy

Very few of them here will know where that is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

Very few of them here will know where that is :p

Co. Laois sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

gothwalk wrote: »
    Maynooth currently has -3.7C, bright moonlight on lying snow, and me unable to sleep. This is mostly due to sleeping until noon, rather than any weather related excitement, though you'd think two long walks today would have tired me out.

Huh, same here, although we were up until 7am last night. With the ground frost everything is just white now, I certainly don't remember snow holding for over 24 hours in Maynooth, although I've only been around for a few years. I'd love to see a foot of snow around...

Snowman10 wrote: »
    Co. Laois sorry

Oi!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

. There's feck all snow anywhere between Tyrone and Dublin City centre that I saw. Absolutely no reason to cease all bus services. They are NOT treacherous if drivers knew how to handle them. If you drive slowly enough, then you don't need to swerve or brake much.

have you been through housing estates and suburbs,where the busses travel through, the hills and even slight incline/declines are lethal,not to mention just average housing estate roads, they're just sheets of ice, even the most experienced drivers can't help the laws of physics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is in laois you know. :)

Yes I have actually. I've already driven to Dublin city centre on a bloody bus today, there was no reason why buses that use the EXACT same route could not have driven it. The number 41 is a case in point. And the laws of physics would also show that a bus driving at 30kph or below are going too slowly to be a danger full stop. That's not much faster than a sprint sure! A vehicle can slide on its own accord down a steeper hill when covered in ice. But even if we assume that the powdery snow/hail mix that I saw on the roads was actually glassy ice everywhere else in Dublin, we're hardly talking about driving in Cork? Most of the northside has a gentle gradient to the city centre in its entirety. Anyway, sure it's a weather forum:D This is my last reply about buses.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is in laois you know. :)

I wont listen to that!! :mad:

Haha, ah no, I dont really care if Graigue is in fact part of Carlow or Laois, a lot of people are highly strung over it.

But anyway, in Graige, Carlow now its -3.7c!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I should have added the word City to the Dublin comment. There's feck all snow anywhere between Tyrone and Dublin City centre that I saw. Absolutely no reason to cease all bus services. They are NOT treacherous if drivers knew how to handle them. If you drive slowly enough, then you don't need to swerve or brake much. And I was in a bus today that was able to drive at the speed limit in Co. Dublin even though the snow was on the roadside. The road being driven on was dry and had no frost or snow on it. Heck, I even walked on the road instead of the footpath in Dublin to avoid ice, several times! I know that the event the Eagle forecasted was over. Over as of what, yesterday afternoon? But he was right, wasn't he?

And to make matters worse for DCC, the snow was forecast for yesterday and today. He hastened to point out that showers will follow the LP as it retreats south, and he explicitly said they would be of snow when they reached the east coast. The forecast was there for all to see in the city council.

My patience is admittedly low, but I think after 2 weeks of model gazing and wishful thinking on this forum, and even the bad timing of everything, I don't see why anyone here can claim why next week is will be "the week". Twice in the last month there's been "ooh look at those charts in t+120, they look pretty and we like the trend". Then they fail to verify and we'll go through the same high expectations and ignore the bad news when it comes and just take the good news into account. I admit that the forecasts are good still for the next few days, but there have been better forecasts for here at t+120 hours and they didn't deliver the goods.

I hope someone gets what I'm saying....:o

IF drivers knew how to handle them. True. But in general they don't. A little cop on goes a long way but there's still no substitute for experience. Regarding the buses, I doubt the drivers are trained adequately for driving on snow/ice and even if they were, they'd have little/no experience (except the Eastern European ones of course). It's too risky for them not to cancel services in conditions like these. Granted there wasn't as much snow north of the Liffey, but there still was some and the temps are sub zero.

EDIT: Yeah, enough about buses, let's get back on topic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

I'm interested in the fact that most of the weather services seem to be giving -1C, maybe -2C for this area overnight, even the usually reliable yr.no. It was -3.7C last time I took a look at the thermometer, and it's clear enough that I'm expecting something lower again as the overnight minimum.

I'm used to the various weather services being off by a couple of degrees, but usually they're low, not high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Decided to throw the mobile phone in its dash holder onto record for the drive home last night after a NYE party...turned out useful cos it caught this little episode. Just one small example of how bad the roads are up here.

(Note: speedily edited, crappy music and profanities included. Two mates in the car and a random kind stranger pushed me off after the stupid eejit taxi driver completely ignored the rules of the road and caused me to stall)

That's a pretty good illustration of **** road conditions.:)

I hope at least some of that cleared off over the course of the day...

Bloody hell, I've been busy here the past few hours (a lot busier than I thought I was in fact! :p). Thought it was about 10/11pm.......looks at clock.....1.44am!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Anyway, just hit -4c here......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sdonn wrote: »
    Decided to throw the mobile phone in its dash holder onto record for the drive home last night after a NYE party...turned out useful cos it caught this little episode. Just one small example of how bad the roads are up here.

(Note: speedily edited, crappy music and profanities included. Two mates in the car and a random kind stranger pushed me off after the stupid eejit taxi driver completely ignored the rules of the road and caused me to stall)

Don't you know taxi driver's own our raod's:D:rolleyes:

That's a pretty good illustration of **** road conditions.:)

I hope at least some of that cleared off over the course of the day...
    practilly none of it in south Dublin.
    If anything it's worse.
    As for down my way...theres a couple of inches of slippy hard snow and ice with frost on top for good measure.
    It's like driving around greenland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

In Newbridge we just had our lowest temp of 2010 betting last years -5.1 with a beautiful -5.3 and a DP of -6.4

The M2 Boy is at 6.6 with a DP of 1.9

practilly none of it in south Dublin.
    If anything it's worse.
    As for down my way...theres a couple of inches of slippy hard snow and ice with frost on top for good measure.
    It's like driving around greenland.

Congrats on the snow, it's great our whinging yesterday got paid off! To_be_confirmed has the right idea tonight. :D

I missed the snowfall as I was away for a new year's party but my hangover suddenly lifted as we approached an arctic Dublin. Nice suprise to kick off the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

forkassed wrote: »

Did they bail out near the end of the clip?! :eek: Was that filmed here?

Oh, wait, yellow plates, uk.

• Advertisement

Saw that posted here earlier. Absolute idiots getting out.

Absolute idiots is putting it mildly! Maybe there was a pier at the bottom of that road though :D

Rougies wrote: »
    Absolute idiots is putting it mildly! Maybe there was a pier at the bottom of that road though :D

There could have been a sheer cliff around that corner, you dont know these things!! :pac:

There could have been a sheer cliff around that corner, you dont know these things!! :pac:

Maybe so, but it looks like this type of behaviour is common. This is just unbelievable stupidity from 2mins30....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3CnFtmfgbE&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So, Cork City centre:

Lovely really cold dry weather. Such a nice change from the miserable wet winters that are the norm down here. A few long (6") icicles had formed on the balcony ledge above me by 10pm this evening which is very unusual really. A bit of snow and it'll be perfect. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Seriously Loike, did you not learn at droiving school that you have roight of way when on a roundabout??? Why where you stopped on the roundabout BEFORE the taxi came along???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Seriously Loike, did you not learn at droiving school that you have roight of way when on a roundabout??? Why where you stopped on the roundabout BEFORE the taxi came along???

Completely OT but because he was showing no signs of stopping and what with the Ice I wasnt sure that if I kept going he wouldnt hit me.

Obviously I learned it, I was shouting it loud enough! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning..

Busy night you all had..

No more snow up here; probably too cold.

"Lost" the bathroom overnight to frost, but still have water in the kitchen.

It is so cold it hurts to breathe outside.

So we shall see what this day brings.

New forecast not in yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well done; it is called "defensive driving"

Works every time. I use it all the time.
    Completely OT but because he was showing no signs of stopping and what with the Ice I wasnt sure that if I kept going he wouldnt hit me.

Obviously I learned it, I was shouting it loud enough! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This cold spell really is unreal though aint it, i have to pinch myself, coldest spell in 50 years - Nice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement