Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in 2009: Your thoughts.

Options
  • 01-01-2010 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Anyone like to comment on the weather in 2009? Does anything stand out for you? :)

For me, the notable crap summer stood out once again. June was a nice month as was the first part of July with some decent thunderstorms thrown in, but after that is was downhill all the way. Cool daytime maxima for the remainder of July and for the entire August period with heavy spells of rain or showers. I did not mind the rain so much (I am not a farmer :o) but there was no real enjoyable heat. 18.9c was the highest temperature I recorded in August which was an appalling figure, although the nights were notably warm and sticky.

Spring as I remember was mediocre as was the Autumn, although the rains of November was an interesting (if very severe for many) feature of this season. Winter so far has been mostly frosty with a few small flurries locally.

Hoping for a warm thundery summer in 2010! :) with some decent snowfall before the heat sets in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

January was really dry, i dont recalling it raining for the month of January,
    it was a notable winter for frost and ice, there was a lot of it .
    Got around 6/7 inches of snow in Letterkenny in the space of 3 hours on the 19th of January. A freak snow event that puzzled people on here and on met eireann as it wasnt forecast for us at all.

Got some snow on the 5th of february and then got more on 8th of February a good covering .
    Got an inch or two then on 4th of march which was great.

1st of June was very hot here , in car tempertures it was 29 degrees. What a week of weather.
    Weather really awful rainwise all year, thankfully i wasnt around for the summer but came back to ireland in august and it rained non stop till december.

Got a few cms of snow then on 19th of december then and it is still frozen around my house,
    then got around 2 inches on the 25th of decemeber.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Unbelievable looking back

In February , snowed in for two weeks.

The summer was so poor only three pods on my whole planting of runner beans and no courgettes.. ( keen grower here..)

Oh; apart from that amazing last week in June when we had visitors over from Texas, dressed for an IRISh summer.. We went to Gartan and then Glenveagh. Unforgettable glory then.

We need to remember the good times. And that week was one such.

Only seven weeks ago, flooded out of the house and retreated up here.

And the rest you know:)

Yet I remember days of sun and peace. Stars and moon... flowers and fruit.

Butterflies and birds..

Sitting in tree shade, warm....

More than the bad things.....

As i will remember the utter beauty when this has all passed.

Remember too one day when the met ie forecast declared "There is no weather today.."

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

For me the snow in February. Although my own area didn't really get any, the drive up to Glendalough and a couple of hours wandering there in deep snow was unreal - will never forget standing in snow that literally went over my knees. Spectacular and can't wait to do it again over the coming days.

Aside from that the lack of summer was horrible once again. I'm now on my third year of finishing the deck and garden, not going down well anymore with my other half - I doubt the weather will be accepted again this year as an excuse, even though it was a valid one the last three :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Appalling really, the complete failure (bar one hot week) of the summer is the lowlight but even May failed while Sept was only a very moderate compensation. The rain wasn't too awful down here only somewhat bad!

If we don't get a summer this year I will leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mean Temperature was 10.1c which is 0.8c warmer than average. High for the year was 27.7c recorded on June 2nd with a low of -7.2c recorded on January 7th. Rainfall was 1058.4mm with very wet months being recorded, July 166.6mm, November 166.2mm, January 156mm and quite notably April 107.4mm which is traditionally a dry month. Winds averaged at 4.7mph, mostly SSE in direction. A 40mph ENE gust was recorded on December 30th.

February was a distinctly dry month after some snow during the first week.
    The snow shower of March 4th was very intense lasting for 90 minutes with snow so heavy you could hear it settle.
    June started with fine weather. Then the summer monsoons came and didn't retreat until September when some fine weather returned.
    November was a return to the rains with similar intenstiy to the summer rains.
    December was a fine month for the most part, but became very cold in the second half with ice rain on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The cold winter with regular snow, the very wet summer with no let up, the mid september dry spell and then the Noah's Ark type weather followed by the really cold wintry lead upto Christmas and including the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

2009 - The year when the Wicklow mountains had a decent snow covering for most of the winter. Looks like a repeat for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Overall it was a poor year down here, February was cold but didn't get the snow as usual, May and June were warm, July and August a washout, Sept good, December ended cold and still I await the snow, as for the other months, I can't really remember. I hope we get snow this year and a good Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Snow in February, and the Royal Canal frozen over.

Followed by a summer in which nothing much grew in my garden - disappointing crops from just about everything. I blame lack of sunlight; we went weeks here without a sunny day.

And then a good chill in December, which was rather pleasing.

This year I have my thermometer, at least, set up, and will be looking to acquire other gear so as to keep some sort of record.

Advertisement