Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Christmas ?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows any special traditions for "Little Christmas".
    I think its January 6th ? Anyone do a special meal for it ? presents ? Is it when the tree and decorations come down ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

I don't know off hand of any traditions but yes it is usually January 6th or afterwards that you would take down Christmas decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

i was born on little christmas,6th jan,when i was a child mam used to tell me she sat up and ate a leg of turkey after havin me!sometimes ur birthday pressies can be light cas its so soon after christmas!it is 12th day of xmas so ur not to take down ur decorations til after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

It is also known as women's christmas. When women dont do any work and the men folk cook. As a kid it was the day Santa would change any presents he did not get right on he big day. We would have a special meal and open any late christmas gifts we got and we would also get some small present from mum and dad. Now my husband and I cook a special meal and give each other a small gift. Something to look forward to when you come home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

It is also known as women's christmas. When women dont do any work and the men folk cook. As a kid it was the day Santa would change any presents he did not get right on he big day. We would have a special meal and open any late christmas gifts we got and we would also get some small present from mum and dad. Now my husband and I cook a special meal and give each other a small gift. Something to look forward to when you come home from work.

:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My family always has 'Christmas Dinner II' on little Christmas. (but with less panic and arguments and twelve types of potato etc..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

hollyhock wrote: »
    it is 12th day of xmas so ur not to take down ur decorations til after it.

The 5th is the twelfth day of Christmas. The 25th being the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

kleefarr wrote: »
    The 5th is the twelfth day of Christmas. The 25th being the first.

I was just talking about this with someone in relation to the 12 days of Christmas offer from O2 that started on the 26th and ended on the 6th of Jan. The 12 days don't seem to begin until the 26th for some people.

Whether it's the 12th or 13 th day however the 6th is an important date in the Christian feast of Christmas as it celebrates The Epiphany,the visit if the 3wise kings to Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Posy wrote: »
    My family always has 'Christmas Dinner II' on little Christmas. (but with less panic and arguments and twelve types of potato etc..)

Haha, same here.

My mother insists on having a second Christmas dinner that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Haha, same here.

My mother insists on having a second Christmas dinner that day.

I think that is great, really finishes things off in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Women's Christmas here in Cork, also my birthday and find it hard to eat out that night if we haven't booked anything, town will be full of groups of women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

taram wrote: »
    Women's Christmas here in Cork, also my birthday and find it hard to eat out that night if we haven't booked anything, town will be full of groups of women.
    happy birthday to another goat! mine too!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

On little christmas I plan to do the following, Cook a chicken,some roast potatoe's and a mixture of veg,me and the oh would pull a few crackers and then we'd look at a nice xmas film.
    Then at around 9pm I'll put a small pressie under the tree for my other half.
    Then me and the oh go for a drink or two and we should be back around 11.30pm and we start to take down the decorations. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 funnygirl2009

so do i take xmas stuff down 2nite before 12am or tomorrow on the 7th of jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

iguy wrote: »
    On little christmas I plan to do the following, Cook a chicken,some roast potatoe's and a mixture of veg,me and the oh would pull a few crackers and then we'd look at a nice xmas film.
    Then at around 9pm I'll put a small pressie under the tree for my other half.
    Then me and the oh go for a drink or two and we should be back around 11.30pm and we start to take down the decorations. Simple as that.

I really like this - apart from taking down the decorations part! :D
    Next year I think I will start celebrating Little Christmas, with food and little pressies. It will be something to look forward to after the let down when Christmas week finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Janey Mack! How are you folk finding the time to come home from work, cook roast chicken and potatoes, watch a movie and go to the pub? :confused:

I don't get in from work until near 6.30, no way I'm going to start roasting a chicken at that hour of the evening. :(

I might manage a movie though :) Last night I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark on BBC1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Home Alone on Living now as I speak!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Misery and foreboding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

hayser wrote: »
    I don't know off hand of any traditions but yes it is usually January 6th or afterwards that you would take down Christmas decorations.

cork and kerry beleive that you take down decorations on an even number, so not the 7th then it will be the eight, it has to do with luck and even number

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I sure could go for twelve types of potatoes right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

little christmas should not be a sad day or night, i will switch off my fairylights for the last time tonight at 12 o clock , and they will be back up and running on the 20 december of this year, right now i am having a drink on the three wise men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

We start our Christmas celebrations on the 21st and carry them through to the 6th.We have what we call in our house the winter blot/feast,treats and goodies we would not normally have. :)

Advertisement