Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Club ideas/suggestions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Also, it might be worth avoiding films released on that day since they'd be likely to sell out (again, depending on how many screenings they are getting).
    For now the best we can do is nominate away until we hav e abetter idea of screen times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Good plans, sorting out what's on / what people would most like to see, if ye have a date maybe someone post up what's on on those dates so people can look and decide?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dublin Film Festival is on in mid-February so might be a good idea to have something up and running then? Best time of the year for interesting films!

Notice would be good too - I often work Friday / Saturday nights so can work around it if the dates are posted in advance :)

Alright, can we all agree on going to see something (dont have to decide just yet) on Friday 29th? I've chosen Friday instead of Saturday on the off chance that anbody comes in from far away places and stays the night in Dublin (Sunday sucks for transport).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep, that date sounds OK to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Maybe this is a little premature, but if it went well (over time) we could get in the odd guest speaker or two? Or keep it as a boardsies folk thing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

nice initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

It'd be cool if one was set up in a few areas/ counties.

The people meet up on the same day in an area/ county, go somewhere to discuss it then there could be a thread on here where everyone cold discuss it together.

/idea

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

Someone on Boards started a similar club last year, 'The Dublin Movie Club' he put a lot of work into it, was very professional, even set up it's own dedicated website and ran a blog for it on http://www.Movies.ie

Not sure what happened but it ended in March of 2009. It's a great idea, I'd love to know why the Dublin Movie Club ended.

Here's a page from Boards about it
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56351841

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Can I suggest something as an add on. If you post a date and movie, people all over ireland can go watch the movie and talk about it here the next evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i'm up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Anakin.S wrote: »
    Can I suggest something as an add on. If you post a date and movie, people all over ireland can go watch the movie and talk about it here the next evening.
    This would suit me as the commute from Canada would mean the film would have to be spectacular to justify :)

Good idea though!

Anakin.S wrote: »

Can and will do :)

How would people feel about seeing Up In The Air (the George clooney film) on Friday 29th?
    It will have been out for a week at that point, meaning there wont be first day sell outs, but tehre should be frequent screenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

sounds good I'll go in belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Theres a few of you lads and lassies id absolutely love to talk films over a beer or two with.

So when y'all comin' to Glasgow!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sounds good to me.

Oh, passed the Woolies or whatever it's called on the way to Cineworld last night, it has a 21's/neat dress essential policy, signs on the doors and bouncers on duty, and that's midweek at 6pm, so no doubt the same applies on a Friday.
    Not a problem for me, but we might need to get a fix on the agegroup of attendees in case it's a problem for others
    sprinkles wrote: »
    This would suit me as the commute from Canada would mean the film would have to be spectacular to justify
    Psh, a film and drinks with some boardsies? How much more spectacular need it be? :D

Right so. Up In The Air on Friday Jan 29th at Cineworld.
    Times have not been set yet, but assume it will be late evening (suits more people re: work that way).
    Sound good?

I'll make a thread dedicated to it.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Right so. Up In The Air on Friday Jan 29th at Cineworld.

Hmm, it's due for release on the 15th. Perhaps if we went on the 22nd instead of the 29th (as screen times might be very limited after it's been out two weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hello fellow film fans.
    I was thinking it might be high time we ran a sort of film society out of the forum. Nothing major now, just a means of meeting up with other film forum posters, watching a film in the cinema and then going somewhere to chat about it .
    I'm leaving the floor open to suggestions.
    How often would we meet up?
    What kind of films would we be in the habit of seeing (ie: mainstream or non mainstream)?
    Anybody interested?

Definitely would be up for that, great idea Galvasean.

In regards to Up In the air, I dont think it will matter much between the 22nd and the 29th. I think that'll be pretty popular anyway so I cant imagine it'll be knocked down to a limited showing in just one week. I mean Clooney is in it for one, so all the ladies will be keep that one going for a few weeks alone. Plus its up for a few Golden Globes this weekend which will definitely inflate its popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cool beans, sounds good, maybe late evening's best to get a quick bite to eat / drinks & say hello to each other

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's rather a poor film, to be honest (Up In The Air). You might be better off waiting for a better one to get the whole club up and running on a high note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Sounds like a plan, can I suggest that Dundrum be the venue though. I have mobility issues and its all on the level. Stephens Green Luas goes to Balally which is no more than5 minutes walk, (depending on the lights) and the pub (for meet ups or after viewing discussions) is no more than 30 seconds walk, from the cinema. Cineworld I can do providing the lift is working, which it usually isnt. I can only use Savoy 1 as well. IFI is good but most of the films there are an acquired taste.

It's rather a poor film, to be honest (Up In The Air). You might be better off waiting for a better one to get the whole club up and running on a high note.

Really? It's getting very good reviews (88% fresh on Rottentomatos and 8.2 on imdb). We'll probably never get a film that everyone is going to like. But based on those scores Up In The Air looks a good punt.
    Plus, it's mainstream without being too mainstream (like, not a blockbuster, but not a weirdy arthouse film either), so it pretty much fits the bill re: the club's mission statement.
    marwelie wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan, can I suggest that Dundrum be the venue though. I have mobility issues and its all on the level. Stephens Green Luas goes to Balally which is no more than5 minutes walk, (depending on the lights) and the pub (for meet ups or after viewing discussions) is no more than 30 seconds walk, from the cinema. Cineworld I can do providing the lift is working, which it usually isnt. I can only use Savoy 1 as well. IFI is good but most of the films there are an acquired taste.

While the cinema in Dundrum is very nice, I think for the overall best interest of everyone, Dublin city centre is the best choice. People are familar with it and it's relatively easy for most people to get to. It would be great for me to have the club in Movies@Swords (ten minutes from my house), but it wouldn't be fair on people from say the south side.

Side note: What will we call the club? Something witty and clever, while still being obviously a film club. (nothing lewd!)
    Place suggestions here. If you like someone's suggestion click the 'thanks' button. The winner will get a copy of Boa Versus Python on DVD! :pac:
    Competition ends on jan 20th.

Oh, and for the record, based on feedback, the first screening is on the 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Side note: What will we call the club? Place suggestions here. If you like someone's suggestion click the 'thanks' button.

How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Boards Film Club

B*tch for thread titles though.

Maybe just, Boards Film Club (With a Fight Club-style soap logo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

The Boards Ultimatum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Inglorious Boardstards?

*drumroll*

New thread with details of the first screening here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64028947#post64028947

(we can still use this thread for general club discussion/ideas.)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It might be a good idea for people to give their age/favourite genre of films so that the film club can cater for all ages and genres of film to keep it fresh and exciting.

I think it'd make the film club that more interesting and would cater for everyone and not just a certain type of film goer.

I'm 21 and my favourite genre of film is action/thriller but I'm open minded to all films and will watch anything.

As for the name of the club, how about one of the following:

Star Boards
    Board Of The Rings
    Dude, Where's My Boards?
    Boards (to the tune of the Shaft theme tune)
    Silence Of The Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

That_Guy wrote: »
    It might be a good idea for people to give their age/favourite genre of films so that the film club can cater for all ages and genres of film to keep it fresh and exciting.
    Good idea.
    25, male. Favorite genre would be thriller/sci-fi/fantasy, but I'll watch pretty much everything. Nothing against subtitles either, some of the best films I've watched have been foreign so if it comes to it I'm all in.

Advertisement