Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticky lens cover

• 01-01-2010 6:33pm

Hello! Last night at a party some coke was spilled on my digital camera lens. It was only a very tiny bit so none got in at the workings of the camera. The only problem is that the inside of the lens cover seems to be sticky afterwards, and it's not opening/closing right. I wiped as much off the lens as I could with a microfibre cloth, but the problem is on the underside of the cover so it's not made much of an improvement. Is this something I'd be able to clean myself, or will I have to take it to a camera shop to have it done? And if so, any recommendations as to where in the Dublin city area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Did you sniff it all out? :)

Have you tried cleaning the lens cover with warm water and soap? Not the lens obviously! Leave it dry out fully then before trying to fit it again.

BTW, lens covers are cheap anyway on ebay if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can it be removed with a slightly damp cloth? If necessary using sugar-free fizzy water?

Well it's a digital compact so it's not generally removable. I don't really want to dismantle the whole lens to clean it, lest I void the warranty or damage it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Ah right, I get you now. It's the little shutter that covers the front of the lens?

I wouldn't advise any disassembly of it either, best bet is to go to a camera shop and ask for thir advise in case you damage the lens. Lens cleaner might be worth a shot but if it's underneath the cover then it may not be the easiest operation.

coolmoose wrote: »
    Ah right, I get you now. It's the little shutter that covers the front of the lens?

I wouldn't advise any disassembly of it either, best bet is to go to a camera shop and ask for thir advise in case you damage the lens. Lens cleaner might be worth a shot but if it's underneath the cover then it may not be the easiest operation.

Mm that's what I was thinking too. I assume once it's done professionally it shouldn't be a big job. I nearly had a heart attack when I thought I broke it before I figured out the problem, only have the camera a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Buy a little bottle of sensor cleaning fluid and use that to clean the sliding lens hood, the fluid is safe to use and will evarorate quickly.

E2 Eclipse Optic Cleaning Fluid. SKU: Price : €16.99 Price: €0.00. Add to cart. For Digital Sensor Cleaing: E2, the highest purity Tin Oxide sensor cleaner, ...
    www.berminghamcameras.com/store/index.php?target=categories...id...

Advertisement